22re problem (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 84 pickup that had a 93 22re swapped into it. I hash the 93 engine, wiring harness, gas tank mounted in the bed, trans and transfercase. When I bought it, it ran great. Took it out wheelin went through a mud hole and started running like crap. Thought I got something wet and waited for it to dry out. I started up fine later idles great. after warming up it will still idle great run great at WOT but under a load it runs like crap. like it has the worst miss I have ever experianced. It hase new NGK plugs, cap and rotor. I dont know where to start on this. Please help I have a run to go on in less than two weeks. I really need this truckto run well.
toyota1.jpg

start checking all your conectors for the computer like the tps, and also check your air filter and box,

i see you do not have a snorkel, do you know where the air inlet is for your engine?

Ya I did end up sucking water on another run. But that was after this problem started. I relocated the comp to the clove box so i till check the TPS. I cleaned out everything after it sucked water and it fired right up. I gave it the sea foam treatment on everything. it seemed like it was running better than ever, took it out on the trail went about a half a mile then it started doing it again.

Ok more info on this problem. pulled it off the trailer today, put a half tank of gas in it, cleaned out all the plug connections. None of them realy had mud in them, they all had mud around them but none in them. So I drove it around on the street. It started up really easy idled down after warm. Trarted driving fine then all of a sudden here comes the miss. But with more driving I realize it is only in one part of the throttle. If I push on the gass a little bit more it runs fine.
Has anyone experianced this issue? I am startin to think its the TPS but I am not very good with fuel injection problems.

Apparently you like water so you might consider using that Moisture barrier spray can stuff similar to WD40 as you go through these connections. Minus maybe the computer plug as I am not familiar with how much resistance the moisture barrier may have. I do know we use it all over our altenators, starters, we drench our distributor caps in it, and it works amazing. I was told last week a guy used wd40, threw the cap back on, started it up and boom needed a new cap but I cant help but imagine he used starting fluid or he was full of crap......... or both. He also claimed he was pulling 9300 rpms with his 22r. I wanted to refer him to jegs or summit where they have decent deals on new tachs :rolleyes: But I will say it did run! Had larger valves blah blah blah but not 9300

By the way nice looking truck! Also read up a lot on the TPS as they are a bit of a pain to set properly (can be done but read)

Thanks for the compliment. I have been reading up on the TPS adjustment and testing and I am going to attempt it tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

once upon a time im a dark age of wristy i had the same deal

i figured was water in alternator

then swapped that engine and stuff to meatmobile with new alternator

never had it problem again

So I checked the timing today. It was set at 0 degrees and my hood said it needed to be at 5degrees so I changed it. That didnt make any difference on the problem. It seems it needs to be warmed up before it starts missing. I dont know if that means anything. Any ways i attempted to test the TSP today with the info I found on Toyota 22RE Throttle Position Sensor. I am not great with a ohm meter so not sure if I did it right but from what I can tell its bad. i also figured out that I can make the truck miss when its not moving just by holding the throttle open in just the right spot.

WritsPin: The alternator is working great. It tested out good. Was your problem in just one spot in the throttle?

Has anyone else had a TPS problem?

ok so I figured it out today. I unpluged the TPS adn when you do this the comp goes into a limp mode. If the TPS was bad the problem would have gone away, it didnt. So I tried all kinds of stuff. Finally some luck when I took the vacume line off of the Evap Canister, plugged it and my problem went away. My question now is are there a problem with running with that line off of the evap canister?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom