22RE on the Highway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josey1972

SILVER Star
Threads
In anticipation of the Hoosier Hoedown and my determination to drive my vehicles to an from the trail I finally got Gappy’s old truck out on the open road. My son calls it the Croc.

My biggest fear was the snorkel having the open end near the booster would pull in to much engine bay air and make the engine get warm. Granted it was in the high 70’s but she never got above 190. It looks like I have a little more time to figure out how to route the snorkel to get good outside air. I’m not interested in turning this thing into a 3 year build like the 80. Just function. I thought about running it to the bed, then drilling the hood, then bringing it up in the cab... Now I’m down to thinking about about a fresh air scoop from West Marine over the top of the intake. I can’t bring myself to do a traditional snorkel set up because I know it will get torn off. Any ideas are appreciated. I know it will probably be a problem driving to the trail in warmer weather.

I put in a tach but haven’t hooked it up yet. After being on the highway I’m not sure its all that necessary. The RPMs will be high. Have to deal with it. I dont know that I’m going to beat myself up to get that done before next weekend.

I put in a Blue Sea fuse box because having charging capability is important if you're not going to trailer the beast around.... So I have this issue. No matter how many electrical lugs I buy I never have the right one!!! WTF. If anyone knows a good place in the INDY area to get all the weird sizes you need I would appreciate the info. So, anyways, I need to ground that fuse box so where??? I think one of the motor mount bolts will do. After building the dual battery set on the 80 I’m pretty sure you dont want to ground to the engine. You want to ground to the frame. Thoughts appreciated.

So, my 1997 80 is on display at Ed Martin in Noblesville. It has a 37 on one of the corners so I have to go get that change out during the week. If anyone has a line on an old 38 x 15 swamper I’d appreciate hearing about it. So, I guess if I have a flat of some sort I’ll just air own the other side of the axle some to make them match size... I have a 60” hi-lift and I’ll have my 8 ton bottle jack which, with a few blocks will give m the ability to change a tire on the road. I included a picture. Its triple locked and for sale. I have a set of 36” IROKS for it as well. Its not street legal, doesn’t have a title or windshield. But it runs. I have a new tranny cooler for as well. The engine runs great and has no leaks.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Croc did on 31. I drove it all the way to Tipton and back and then through town to see if it heated up at all. Nope. It was actually fun to run on the highway. Another big surprise. The swamper hum mostly goes away. In this situation I dont know what good 5th gear is to you except maybe gain you 100 or a maybe 200 RPM’s at best You cant hear a difference in the RPM’s but I figure since the oil pressure gauge lowered some between 4 and 5 that must be the advantage. Of course you have to have downshift on the many of the “hills” on 31.

If I had stupid funds a V6 swap would be pretty nice for the highway portion of trips.

I think I may add a CB at some point and possibly a bed rack at some point to give a little more storage if I happen to find a stout co-pilot.

When I got back I dropped her in 4WD and drove her around the gravel lot at my shop complex. Click, click clack click clack clack, ding.... Never having owned an auto locker I assume thats the expected noise.

I’ll be very interested to see how you manage obstacles with a manual, in low range. Since the low range keeps it from stalling easily I’m sure it will live up to Gappy’s comment, “it makes it look like you know what your doing”. Which in my case is welcome.

Future wish list but will probably never happen: V6, exterior cage for the cab, proper built cage rack for the bed, maybe some radials.... Thats about it. Looking forward to seeing how it works on the trails.
5BC879E3-3AD7-4370-829C-4BE7D3D17D08.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Like the body damage on the 80, please tell me all that's from wheeling and not being tboned by an escalade in a Starbucks drive through.

I'm with Tony, TLDR. Drive it until something blows up, overheats or catches fire and fix from there. Good thing you didn't include pics, that would have made trying to imagine what's going on with the air intake easier.

Like the body damage on the 80, please tell me all that's from wheeling and not being tboned by an escalade in a Starbucks drive through.

I'm with Tony, TLDR. Drive it until something blows up, overheats or catches fire and fix from there. Good thing you didn't include pics, that would have made trying to imagine what's going on with the air intake easier.
I get it but when you’re relying on it to get you to and from the trail you have change your mindset a bit. Don’t want to find out I have a heat issue when in the middle of nowhere. Something has caught fire in it before. Always nice to wonder if the issue was fixed or some fluke. Those are dings from previous owners. The LC came from Kentucky was it has been battle tested. I bought it before the mini came available. Needs to find a new home.

I hear ya, no trailer here. Still say just drive it.

I have a stock air intake box/maf and tube if you need it, Josey1972

I have a stock air intake box/maf and tube if you need it, Josey1972
Let’s discuss this weekend. That might be the way to fly.

Way ahead of the game. I have already got my provisions ready.
503489F5-16CD-4468-9C19-9A1CF9B7E57F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom