22re Fuel issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1985 toyota pickup 22re efi. I bought it about a year ago after sitting for a year. I gave it a basic tune-up (spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor). It ran rough for a little until it started missing on the second cylinder, after replacing the injector and fuel filter, still not fixed so i took it to a shop and they told me it was a bad wire to the injector(they were not a very competant shop). After getting it home still ran rough so i took it to another shop who was good with toyotas. He got it running a lot better but still felt like it was missing or the timing was a little off, was told to drive it and clear it out since it had sat with old gas, drove it like this for about 2 months till it died on me while driving and would not start again unless i sprayed starting fluid into the intake. Went to work on it a couple days later and it started right up, but is running really rough now. Ive been driving it around again for about a week to see if it does it again but i just keeps running BADLY. I have no idea what to do now. Please help! Thanks for reading.

I think your first mechanic could have been correct. Inside the injector harness are several crimped splices that corrode and break. Many of us have pulled out our engine harness and fixed those splices.

Your second issue sounds like fuel pump.

I agree with pappy. Do a search and you will find a lot of information on these connections.

Thank you. They said they had fixed the wiring but it looks very poorly done (lots of tape). I wanted to get another opinion before i started jumping into wiring.

Thank you. They said they had fixed the wiring but it looks very poorly done (lots of tape). I wanted to get another opinion before i started jumping into wiring.

It's not hard. If you need to those fuel injector connectors are available. I replaced all four of mine when I repaired all those splices. Replacing the connectors also gives you more wire to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom