22r question on when it was first produced (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
trying to see if anyone has a truck, celica with a production year of 1980 and a 22r motor.
Apparently a motor swap from 15 years ago has come back to haunt me. Apparently having a motor newer than 1981 in a 1980 truck without smog equipment is a big deal, but if the motor was available in 1980 might not be a problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

trying to see if anyone has a truck, celica with a production year of 1980 and a 22r motor.
Apparently a motor swap from 15 years ago has come back to haunt me. Apparently having a motor newer than 1981 in a 1980 truck without smog equipment is a big deal, but if the motor was available in 1980 might not be a problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
As you already said the 22r didn't come out until the 81 model year, but one angle that you might try and find info on would be if 1980 model trucks built late in the 1980 year might have had the 22r instead of the 20r. It is possible that Toyota might have put the 22r in some of these later models. I've seen Toyota transition engines halfway through the model year in a couple of engine swaps that I have done in the past. For example I did a 2000 Tacoma 2.7 l. that was coil on plug even though cop was not supposed to be in the trucks until 2001.
Good Luck!

I've seen Toyota transition engines halfway through the model year in a couple of engine swaps that I have done in the past. For example I did a 2000 Tacoma 2.7 l. that was coil on plug even though cop was not supposed to be in the trucks until 2001.
Good Luck!

My 1998 2.7L Tacoma was coil on plug, IIRC. According to my Fast Moving Part Catalog the last year for a distributor cap was September 1996.

My 1998 2.7L Tacoma was coil on plug, IIRC. According to my Fast Moving Part Catalog the last year for a distributor cap was September 1996.
I never said anything about a distributor, I guess I should have added more to my post....according to the wiring diagrams my swap was supposed to have twin coils, but mine was coil on plug. Sorry for the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom