22r aftermarket carb advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up an 82 4x4 p/u with the good old 22r. After replacing tons of stuff to get it to run decent I took it out for some wheeling on a muddy snow covered road and the truck did some bogging out and stalling when on a good pitch. What do you guys reccomend for a replacement that will still do half decent on the road? I bought this truck primarily to tow around my dirtbike and I am super stoked with its performance off road, bogging aside. But like I said it doesnt do so well at an angle, it also suck pretty bad driving the Teton mountain pass from Idaho to Wyoming. Is there anything else out there besides the weber or efi that I should know about including tricks to help the stocker do better? Also, will rebuilding the pistons help much if it has over 130k miles or should I consider another motor? I look foreward to your replies...sorry for the small novel. I am glad to be part of a group that has as much info as Thumpertalk for motorcycles. Thanks a bunch fellas! Oh ya, I almost forgot... will an aftermarket carb still pass emissions? Im not worried now cuz the truck is registered in Id but in case I move somewhere with emissions.

Howdy! Have you tried rebuilding the OEM carb? It should do a lot better than that if it is tuned up properly. I have over 200,000 on my 22RE and it still gets me down the road just fine. If you are running oversized tires, you may need to swap in some lower gears. I'm running 5.29s in mine. John

Welcome to Mud!!! :flipoff2: <-Mud salute... We're glad to have you, but as a rule we don't dispense useful info till you post up some pics! :D Hehehe

I'm not a carb guy, but I think there are some mods that you can do to make the carb work better on steep terrain. Maybe someone else will chine in for you! Hehee

welcome! :flipoff2:
if there is an another quality option besides webber, I have not seen it.
I ran a webber in my 20/22R engine for many years, and have no complaints. sure, its not going to run at extreme angles, but it is a solid carb. my favorite part about it is, it only uses one or two vacuum hoses. versus the stock million.

on your stock carb, make sure it has a clean filter, and open the bowl, verify the needle and seat are operating properly, and make sure they are clean.

if the carb has never been serviced, this is most likely to put a dent in your progress. also, there will be some sediment in the bowl.

you need to quit worring about the pistons on that engine, and focus on the important stuff. there is nothing wrong with a 22R at 122K

I found out the carb that is in my truck now was purched of e-bay as a rebuilt model. I have changed all filters in the truck and operation of the carb seems fine, just not on an incline. The ease of a simple vaccuum system alone sells me on the weber but I dont want to do it if wont pass emissions. I know that a carb is a dog on incline as I have seen with Holly and Edelbrock on large motors but I was hoping the weber would help some. Thanks for the info about the efi wiring harness, I actually almost pulled efi off of a 2 wheel drive in a yard but didnt know how it would translate over to the new motor. So if you have experiance on that please let me know. I will keep scanning the posts for more info as well. And photos will be on way soon, just wish I would have taken more before I started working on it. Thanks again for the info and the welcome...I have always loved trucks that you can beat the piss out of...now I know what you toyota guys are so stoked about...I am glad to be a convert.

are you sure that they want your 82 smog checked? it seems a bit old for that
Howdy! I think California starts testing at 1976, and Arizona starts at 1967, so yea, some states would defintiely test an 1982 if he were to move there, which was his original interest for smog legality. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom