21 LC, factory oil and first oil change? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 21 LC is turning two in a week or so, but it's been sitting in a heated garage with just 27 miles on it. Trying to decide if I should at least give it an oil change (keep filter). But if the factory shipped with synthetic oil, I may kick the can down the road. Would my LC have shipped with synthetic or dino oil? Also, any suggestions when a 27 mile LC should get its first oil change?

Do you ever intend to drive it?

Seriously, would condensation be an issue such as in the fuel tank?

Folks have bought cars and placed them on blocks, never intending to drive them, for whatever reason.

It was an impulse buy because of LCs going away and I'm not sure if I even like the look of the 300 (I even prefer the look of my 100 over my 200). But my 00 LC is getting killed by Chicago road salt, so its time is limited. That said, I have a 01 MB SW that I'm trying to coax to the junkyard first, but it refuses to go. It keeps making it through to the next season. But if its not dead by winter, its going no matter what. Once the MB goes, the 21 LC is coming out of hibernation on a as-need basis while I try to kill the 00 LC by spring 2025.

As for the condensation in the gas question. Condensation is not going to happen on a car that never gets colder than 55F and the temp remains relatively steady (granted warmer in the summer).

I'd be more concerned about the gas going bad sitting in the tank/lines, dry rot of bushings, etc. Good for you for being able to have one and just store it. I'm just jealous.

If I was facing your situation I would change the oil and filter. I would also drain the fuel tank and put ~8 gallons of fresh PURE gas in it and then drive it far enough to get everything up to operating temperature and keep it there long enough to get all the moisture boiled out.

For sure do whatever @cruiserdan says. Lots of experience taking good car of cruisers that sit. It would also help the tires to get them on the road for a few miles.

Any concerns about rodents in the storage area?

Agreed. Ethanol fuel should be nowhere near a vehicle doing that much hibernating.

Per the maintenance guide:

"Miles or Months? Toyota recommends obtaining scheduled maintenance for your vehicle every 5,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first. For example: • If you drive 5,000 miles in less than six months, you should obtain maintenance at 5,000 miles — don’t wait until six months. • If at six months you have driven less than 5,000 miles, you should obtain maintenance at six months — don’t wait until 5,000 miles. Be sure to keep an eye on your mileage so that you obtain maintenance when recommended. If you are a low-mileage driver, mark your calendar to remind yourself to obtain maintenance every six months."

Factory recommended oil change is every 10,000 mile or one year. Looks like you are two oil changes behind. And yes, change the filter as it has manufacturing debris in it.

Your 21 HE with 99k miles has more than my 00 LC, which has 93k miles. Do you want to trade for that one? It's a shame the salt destroys Toyotas; otherwise, the 00 would have gone a lot further.

Hope you have driven it some. Hope you have treated the gas. Hope you have it on blocks. Can’t imagine letting a new vehicle languish like that.

It was an impulse buy because of LCs going away and I'm not sure if I even like the look of the 300 (I even prefer the look of my 100 over my 200). But my 00 LC is getting killed by Chicago road salt, so its time is limited. That said, I have a 01 MB SW that I'm trying to coax to the junkyard first, but it refuses to go. It keeps making it through to the next season. But if its not dead by winter, its going no matter what. Once the MB goes, the 21 LC is coming out of hibernation on a as-need basis while I try to kill the 00 LC by spring 2025.

As for the condensation in the gas question. Condensation is not going to happen on a car that never gets colder than 55F and the temp remains relatively steady (granted warmer in the summer).

I don’t blame you. 200 is a collector’s piece now. Specially in the US.
Soon as I get my next daily mine will be parked a lot more. 76k miles.

I dont want to get into the 300 convo here, but ive got nothing to replace it with. If they stick with a 15 year cycle on LX, it will unfortunately have to be babied until the next LX that hopefully doesn’t blow. 15 years is fine for my 570, and it will be used for fun trips, but not gonna get beat on regularly.

misses the point of owning a land cruiser, but that's just my perspective

misses the point of owning a land cruiser, but that's just my perspective

I agree, I used to be a lease guy until this phase. Hate worrying over belongings. I just can see now that the proposition offered by the 200 will never come back On the market. My total ownership here is aiming for 20 years. That shouldn’t be any issue at all, but I just cant stand the idea of it being totaled in commuter traffic. Id rather be the one doing the thrashing like you said. Not the paper plate altima with no insurance lol.

I'm still at a lost on the type of oil: synthetic or non-synthetic. If it came from the factory with non-synthetic, I would continue to use non-synthetic until the rings have seated. But if Toyota now break in the engines with synthetic, I'll use synthetic. Does anyone know what is in my engine?

I'm still at a lost on the type of oil: synthetic or non-synthetic. If it came from the factory with non-synthetic, I would continue to use non-synthetic until the rings have seated. But if Toyota now break in the engines with synthetic, I'll use synthetic. Does anyone know what is in my engine?

No such thing as full synth other than a couple of lines and exotic oils. I believe T is mobil 1 base. Use whatever you like really. I get mine at Costco cheap, but might switch to Penz ultra plat soon.

I agree, I used to be a lease guy until this phase. Hate worrying over belongings. I just can see now that the proposition offered by the 200 will never come back On the market. My total ownership here is aiming for 20 years. That shouldn’t be any issue at all, but I just cant stand the idea of it being totaled in commuter traffic. Id rather be the one doing the thrashing like you said. Not the paper plate altima with no insurance lol.
I completely relate with this mindset. Our LC is primarily used for camping and jaunts to the woods, no commuting or daily use. The times I get in it just to do a proper heat cycle can be a little stressful because it’s the same time all the worst drivers wanna share the road with me. Yes, I’d be devastated if something were to happen while we were out camping or using it for what we bought it for but at least it would happen while it was performing its actual duties. I’d be so effing mad if something were to happen while taking a cruise to enjoy it for the sake of a heat cycle.

We’ve had ours for just at a year and it now has 12k on the clock, 5k from one epic road trip and the rest from our outdoor lifestyle. Our next 5k+ trip begins in 61 days and the cruiser counts as a family member because it has the costliest food budget while traveling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom