20R Carb Help / General Carb Symptoms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 77 Hilux with a 20R that isn't running right and I have some general questions.

Rebuilt stock carb that starts right up, idles fine and I can rev it all day long at idle. It drives good at slow speeds but when you try and get on the gas it sputters and doesn't like it. Cuts out with your foot in it until you let off the gas again.
By the time I stop and look fuel level in the carb is normal half way.

What can usually cause this kind of symptom on a carb? Anything I should check?

Timing was good set to the factory manual.

Accelerator pump as it's not operating correctly? It was replaced with the carb rebuild so the unit itself should be good

No, it has the auto choke where the coolant passes through and operates and I didn't set it up. Think i'm missing a part of it

Don't really need one here usually just hold the gas a bit initially

It's been a bit since i've messed with it but now that I think about it the accelerator pump seemed to be sticking but thought I had it freed up. Might be the linkage or something i'll have to check

Does this have the electric fuel pump? Check that. Also have you checked the fuel filter?

Do you have the service manual? I know there's a spec for the amount of fuel the pump should output, but I don't know what that is. A clogged fuel filter could cause the problem you're experiencing since the carb might not be getting all the fuel it needs at higher RPMs. Good luck!

I have a Haynes manual at home i'll check and see if they list that spec. Yeah could be not enough fuel at high RPM based on symptom

Thanks

What did you find on this? Any update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom