20mpg in a 94 80???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

justbecause

perpetually lost.
Threads
cruiser in question
i graduate next year and im starting to look now for a new car, i have my 1980 40 and LOVE her but my DD is an 04 jetta diesel, while 52mpg is GREAT i want a rig i can take camping so im looking for a wagon and the 80 with factory lockers is at the top of my wish list im doing my research now hoping to learn as much as possible over the next few months.
i just came across this ad claiming 17-20 mpg and though that sounded unrealistic so i had to ask.

Gas Mileage of a 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser Wagon 4WD

MPG (city)

MPG (highway)

MPG (combined)

To be fair, I've seen (almost) 18 MPG myself. But that was running premium, and I've never come even close to that again (of course adding armor and lift hasn't helped any....).

If you stripped the weight, roof rack, ran lighter tires, then you could probably see 15-16 MPG regularly. But then what's the point? :meh:

My best mpg on my cruiser is 21mpg, it can be done. But I found out the sweet spot unintentionally. I was cruising 45mpg from colorado to Moab in a 2 way rd blocking by a old truck. So if you can cruise at 45mpg, you will get the mpg. But I doubt anyone will cruise at that speed, I don't except that time when I had no choice.

You can get huge MPG gains by drafting big rig trucks. Mythbusters proved it. :hmm:

sweet... I looked at an Abrams one time, but when I saw the EPA highway I was like, forget it...

So now I'm off to find another unrealistic 4WD, with unrealistic MPG...

22R's and part time 4WD are for poor loser pussies...

I dont see that mileage in our 80, better in the 40 and 60. MIke

My best was 18.97 mpg between Albuquerque and Monticello UT. ~300 miles at 50-55 mph, 305/70/16 tires, steel wheels, blower, pre-Slee rear bumper, roof rack removed, minimal cargo load.

Last month on the trip to Mexico. Loaded, canoe on roof, ~75 mph.......10 mpg...:eek:

great example, Dan... I wish I could do that... But I start to weigh high speed and low MPG, and the longer amount of time behind the wheel, and higher MPG...

I start to think of the old adage, "time is money" and how much would I pay myself to get there faster... Then that's what I apply to the difference in stopping for gas...

And all the highways out here are 70. You'll get run over going 55. And prolly get a ticket...

I just don't associate the 80 with fuel economy so it's a moot point to me anyway...

:meh:

Last edited:
My best was 18.97 mpg between Albuquerque and Monticello UT. ~300 miles at 50-55 mph, 305/70/16 tires, steel wheels, blower, pre-Slee rear bumper, roof rack removed, minimal cargo load.

Last month on the trip to Mexico. Loaded, canoe on roof, ~75 mph.......10 mpg...:eek:

See, but that's the great thing about great thing about the 80. No matter what you do (empty or loaded for bear), you're gonna get 10-12 MPG. Solid expectations. :lol:

Keep the TDI Jetta, sell the 40 and get an 80 and wheel the crap out of it:grinpimp:

I get 17-20 out of my 80, but that's with a Cummins 4BTA swap:hillbilly:

My last trip, battling 30-40mph headwinds, 70-75 in 3rd gear, 255/85-16 tires, mostly unloaded, worst 10.6mpg, best 15mpg.

18 stock maybe but unlikely
20 never.
15-17 highway stock maybe
Once you lift it and put on larger tires
you will see between 10 and 15 mostly.
I avarage a steady 12 mpg per tank with mixed driving and 35's
All highway trips I get close to 15, also depends on winds, loads and terrian.
Keep the Jetta and get an 80

So if you can cruise at 45mpg, you will get the mpg.

Well if you can cruiser at 45mpg i've sure you will get some 45mpg :p:flipoff2:

No way it's going to break even 18 on freeway speeds, and around town lucky to see 14. To show how much the sellor knows about this vehicle I note the picture of a green Cruiser with color listed as "blue" and that it is a "4WD-Rear" vehicle (huh?). Buyer beware.

The only time I'll ever beilieve a petrol 80 got 20 mpg is if it's sitting on a trailer being towed by another vehicle that gets 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom