Wanted ~$20k 200-Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My '03 100-series was badly damaged when a drunk driver crashed in to me on the highway last Friday. The insurance process is just getting started but I will need a new cruiser.

Budget is a little tight but it seems like the very low end of the 200-series is ~$20k. I'm not concerned with high mileage and am looking for a truck without rust. Any color but silver.

There are a couple down south for your price on Cargurus

This might be too good to be true, but saw it posted last week:

I have dug into this one. It was at cavender Toyota initially then sold to M1 motors in TX, where it was listed for around 26 to 28k for 4 months or so before it went to Mr Cooper. Plug the vin into vehiclehistory.com to see this.

I was about to fly out to inspect it after the owner agreed to let me take it to Toyota for inspection. He even offered to take the car in for me at 8 am.

I schechuled the inspection after i got off the phone and was about to book my ticket but he called me back and changed his mind. He sounded stressed out and said i was asking too much, that he was a 1 man shop and that he had someone else willing to buy it sight unseen/not make him go out of his way. I guess that person changed their mind.

It sounds hit and miss depending on the mood of the owner for the day. I was very careful to remain respectful on the phone, as i did read every single bad review he had online and was aware of certain things regarding "out of town" buyers and certain things regarding his attitude towards having Toyota inspect his vehicles. He says the stealership has costed him several sales by recommending unecessary work during the PPI.

Potentially a great deal, but you gotta deal with a dealer who *hates* toyota dealerships and will likely give you a hard time for asking for a Toyota inspection. He also is not a fan of *out of town* buyers who ask questions over the phone rather than show up to the lot to check it themselves, which translate into more work for him.

Basically, potentially a good deal if you are local and can inspect yourself. If you must have a PPI done somewhere off his lot, then proceed carefully as to not get on his bad side. He will cancel and quit on you if things dont go easily for him. There is a fine balance between approaching this in a way that isnt too much of a burden on the dealer, and approaching it in a way where you make sure the vehicle is properly checked out.

Hope this helps and to be honest i am still considering showing up to inspect myself/take it to Toyota for inspection. Only reason i pushed it off is because it is not my first choice, and im flying to inspect first choice in a few days. If that fails i will revisit this, unless another buyer scoops it or finds something wrong with it.

Under $20k and supposedly has good service. No affiliation.

This ones a bit over your range at $25k but it seems to be clean for what it is.

I have dug into this one. It was at cavender Toyota initially then sold to M1 motors in TX, where it was listed for around 26 to 28k for 4 months or so before it went to Mr Cooper. Plug the vin into vehiclehistory.com to see this.

I was about to fly out to inspect it after the owner agreed to let me take it to Toyota for inspection. He even offered to take the car in for me at 8 am.

I schechuled the inspection after i got off the phone and was about to book my ticket but he called me back and changed his mind. He sounded stressed out and said i was asking too much, that he was a 1 man shop and that he had someone else willing to buy it sight unseen/not make him go out of his way. I guess that person changed their mind.

It sounds hit and miss depending on the mood of the owner for the day. I was very careful to remain respectful on the phone, as i did read every single bad review he had online and was aware of certain things regarding "out of town" buyers and certain things regarding his attitude towards having Toyota inspect his vehicles. He says the stealership has costed him several sales by recommending unecessary work during the PPI.

Potentially a great deal, but you gotta deal with a dealer who *hates* toyota dealerships and will likely give you a hard time for asking for a Toyota inspection. He also is not a fan of *out of town* buyers who ask questions over the phone rather than show up to the lot to check it themselves, which translate into more work for him.

Basically, potentially a good deal if you are local and can inspect yourself. If you must have a PPI done somewhere off his lot, then proceed carefully as to not get on his bad side. He will cancel and quit on you if things dont go easily for him. There is a fine balance between approaching this in a way that isnt too much of a burden on the dealer, and approaching it in a way where you make sure the vehicle is properly checked out.

Hope this helps and to be honest i am still considering showing up to inspect myself/take it to Toyota for inspection. Only reason i pushed it off is because it is not my first choice, and im flying to inspect first choice in a few days. If that fails i will revisit this, unless another buyer scoops it or finds something wrong with it.

Glad I saw this post, thank you. Was about to contact him and end up wasting my time with this one.

Any time that a seller is that lazy and averse to inspections and questions, it is a cut and dried sign that he is a scumbag hustler and the vehicle is shady.

I cannot stand sleezeballs like this. Dealing with trash like this when you're out of town is terrible - sometimes I even deal with it locally.

Always beware of auction history on the Carfax. There are certain situations where it was a dealer trying to get rid of inventory, but 49 times out of 50, it was at a hairy auction house and for a good reason.

These slicksters buy complete junk at the auctions, spruce it up a little and then try to charge retail for it.

When someone conducts business this way, it's a red alert that they are not interested in someone who is halfway savvy, they are waiting around to sniff out some schmuck who doesn't know anything about cars and will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a vehicle so long as it doesn't have a check engine light.

Last edited:
Glad I saw this post, thank you. Was about to contact him and end up wasting my time with this one.

Any time that a seller is that lazy and averse to inspections and questions, it is a cut and dried sign that he is a scumbag hustler and the vehicle is shady.

I cannot stand sleezeballs like this. Dealing with trash like this when you're out of town is terrible - sometimes I even deal with it locally.

Always beware of auction history on the Carfax. There are certain situations where it was a dealer trying to get rid of inventory, but 49 times out of 50, it was at a hairy auction house and for a good reason.

These slicksters buy complete junk at the auctions, spruce it up a little and then try to charge retail for it.

When someone conducts business this way, it's a red alert that they are not interested in someone who is halfway savvy, they are waiting around to sniff out some schmuck who doesn't know anything about cars and will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a vehicle so long as it doesn't have a check engine light.

Glad i could help brother, and good luck with your search! If any pops up in my area that you want a closer look let me know; i am from Raleigh, NC. I can bring my cameras and get you a real good look.

Still looking! Would love to buy from a forum member. LX is fine too

Any color but silver 😁

I was thinking that at first then i saw the silver in person and now i really like it. At this price i would honestly only be focused on finding a mechanically sound one. When i was looking i didn't even factor in the color, i figured that if i can get any in mechanically sound shape and little rust at my price range then i'm happy! They do not come around at the 20k price range often, especially from a Toyota Dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom