2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make a point of never buying first year of a model.....no matter how much of the vehicle is from previous/shared models......first years are most problematic
Generally a good rule to live by (I learned the very hard way with a Saab), but have to say my first year Toyotas (1987 Camry, 1991 80 series, 2010 GX) have been the most reliable cars I have owned. It seems that Toyota engineers operate at a different level - and one with reliability at the top of the list of objectives.

I have little interest to go over 33" in tire size so I am fine with the GX. But I do hope the Toyota versions leave a little more flexibility to go bigger. But for Lexus I think this is perfect. I personally see Toyotas for Touring/Overlanding so I don't care about turning one into a rock crawler.

some of the test mules had lc300 bodies, pretty cool. Judging by the fact they didn't need to put any camo on the LC300 body means that when these tests were filmed the 300 had already made its debut. Doesn't mean much I guess but I just like these little details.

Screen Shot 2023-06-10 at 4.33.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-10 at 4.33.29 AM.png

Last edited:
You guys talking about the Bronco....have you ever sat in one? Have you ever driven one?

I've driven multiple trims and I don't think you have if you're calling that a desirable vehicle on anything other than paper if you're coming from a Toyota much less a GX. They went the wrangler route on it, they made cheap plastic rattle box junk. They are selling it with novelty's and the name on it....

Last edited:
The GX wont support reasonable tire sizes,
The new GX will come with 33” tires from the factory in some trims. That’s a perfectly reasonable tire size. Having changed the 33” tires on my 200, I have zero desire to ever change a bigger tire. My back hurts just thinking about changing a 35” tire.

There are a number of things I don’t like about the new GX, but tire size isn’t one of them.

some of the test mules had lc300 bodies, pretty cool. Judging by the fact they didn't need to put any camo on the LC300 body means that when these tests were filmed the 300 had already made its debut. Doesn't mean much I guess but I just like these little details.

View attachment 3345271

View attachment 3345272

The development of every level of GA-F platform vehicles has been on-going now since 2016-2019 at the latest. TNGA was introduced in 2015. That’s 8 years ago now.

Most of the vehicles we are now seeing implemented started development well before the pandemic, and in fact have been in development, most likely, at least for 4-6 years. Especially all of the BOF vehicles.

Toyota has been in transition for the past 8 years minimum: Hungry animals. The market, the public, the customers are the hungry animals.

That is the true audience. All audiences are created— they don’t exist organically until someone places the lollipop in front of their face.

Luckily, there is a cadence that doesn’t buy into this at Toyota and that’s the fundamental, long-term planning worldview that actually guides the Toyota superstructure. Toyota has been planning now for the 2050 world view.

Everyone thinks that every jizzbucket vehicle is the be all, end all; the fact of the matter is that Toyota, globally, has many, many divisions that spend all of their time creating “buzz”, and product planning decisions that take vehicles away, “discontinue” them, retool/reengineer them, and the reintroduce them as something new or something revolutionary.

The fact of the matter remains that Toyota has to basically perpetuate its own reality all the time or it ceases to be; it’s becomes its own caricature.

What we “see” in the Toyota world as it appears: marketing and product planning conjoined to create narratives for buy-in on the customer facing world.

What is the reality? Toyota needs to sell 8-10 million vehicles/widgets every year to sustain itself. Minimum. Guaranteed. Every ****ing year.

Toyota is a nation-state at the level that controls national level business policy in Japan, for example; they have the ability to bankrupt entire cities and industries if they wanted; Toyota is nothing but a mass, amorphous entity that is trying to transform itself real time.

A product like the GX is important to roughly 100-200k customers yearly, **globally**. Think about that. Out of 10.5 million widgets they manufactured and sold last year.

The scope of the marketing and product planning becomes quite clear when you realize the pittance this vehicle really is….

And we all lap it up because, in all honesty, we have nothing better to do but sit around on Internet forums and argue about bull****. Toyota knows this. They devote plenty of intelligence to “gauge” all of this; they can. Guaranteed they have plants here that engage in intellectual marketing and warfare. That’s how big data and information works now.

You are deluding your self if you actually think that Toyota “cares”.

😂😂

The development of every level of GA-F platform vehicles has been on-going now since 2016-2019 at the latest. TNGA was introduced in 2015. That’s 8 years ago now.

Most of the vehicles we are now seeing implemented started development well before the pandemic, and in fact have been in development, most likely, at least for 4-6 years. Especially all of the BOF vehicles.

Toyota has been in transition for the past 8 years minimum: but no one sees it because every one wants to slop up jizz now. Hungry animals. The market, the public, the customers are the hungry animals.

That is the true audience. All audiences are created— they don’t exist organically until someone places the lollipop in front of their face.

Luckily, there is a cadence that doesn’t buy into this at Toyota and that’s the fundamental, long-term planning worldview that actually guides the Toyota superstructure. Toyota has been planning now for the 2050 world view.

Everyone thinks that every jizzbucket vehicle is the be all, end all; the fact of the matter is that Toyota, globally, has many, many divisions that spend all of their time creating “buzz”, and product planning decisions that take vehicles away, “discontinue” them, retool/reengineer them, and the reintroduce them as something new or something revolutionary.

The fact of the matter remains that Toyota has to basically perpetuate its own reality all the time or it ceases to be; it’s becomes its own caricature.

What we “see” in the Toyota world as it appears: marketing and product planning conjoined to create narratives for buy-in on the customer facing world.

What is the reality? Toyota needs to sell 8-10 million vehicles/widgets every year to sustain itself. Minimum. Guaranteed. Every f***ing year.

Toyota is a nation-state at the level that controls national level business policy in Japan, for example; they have the ability to bankrupt entire cities and industries if they wanted; Toyota is nothing but a mass, amorphous entity that is trying to transform itself real time.

A product like the GX is important to roughly 100-200k customers yearly, **globally**. Think about that. Out of 10.5 million widgets they manufactured and sold last year.

The scope of the marketing and product planning becomes quite clear when you realize the pittance this vehicle really is….

And we all lap it up because, in all honesty, we have nothing better to do but sit around on Internet forums and argue about bulls***. Toyota knows this. They devote plenty of intelligence to “gauge” all of this; they can. Guaranteed they have plants here that engage in intellectual marketing and warfare. That’s how big data and information works now.

😂😂

You are not wrong.

i don't think any of these giant car companies care about anything more than their bottom line. which should be evident by how they all like to lock realtivly minor options behind arbitrary trim levels. i personally drive a GMC 2500 Pro for work, i like it, has an MSRP of around $52k. If I were to buy one for personal use, the only thing that i would really like that it doesn't have is a storage compartment in the arm rest, which is locked behind a $6000 paywall.

With that being said, The market is much more fluid than it was in the past and Cars have gotten a lot more reliable as well as interesting. If you would of asked me 5 years ago if i would be considering a Ford and owning an Armada, I would laughed out Loud. the market is much more competitive.

Toyota isnt going anywhere, BUT unlike in the past, there are now viable alternatives which ithink is a good thing.

Toyota has been in transition for the past 8 years minimum: but no one sees it because every one wants to slop up jizz now. Hungry animals. The market, the public, the customers are the hungry animals.

What is the reality? Toyota needs to sell 8-10 million vehicles/widgets every year to sustain itself. Minimum. Guaranteed. Every f***ing year.

And we all lap it up because, in all honesty, we have nothing better to do but sit around on Internet forums and argue about bulls***. Toyota knows this. They devote plenty of intelligence to “gauge” all of this; they can. Guaranteed they have plants here that engage in intellectual marketing and warfare. That’s how big data and information works now.

😂😂
I am aware of some of the details regarding the GA-F platform and how long it's been in development.
I have also learned alot in the past from your comments about these things and will no doubt continue to do so more in the future in various topics.
The fact of the matter is at the end of the day, a new GX is something that happens maybe once a decade. They can gauge and fool me with marketing videos all they want, I am just here enjoying the moment and moving on.
They already have my money anyway 😅.

Last edited:

😂😂
Been reading all of the comments and agree or disagree - they are valid and as expected: Love it! Hate it! Meh! Wish it had X, I still prefer the Y! But I read this twice and honestly not sure of the point.

Companies want to sell as many products to as many customers as possible? Brilliant.
Marketing is used to advertise and create demand? Gotcha.
Companies offer diversified products? Good to know and explains why one can get a chicken sandwich and salad at Burger King.
Big Companies that employees lots of people can impact economies? Hello GM and Chrysler.
Manufacturing companies look for ways to streamline their production and supply chains? Not exactly a earth shattering trend which is why even my little mfg. company does it.

But it’s the “Toyota cares” that is the head scratcher. Cares about what? Who? We are witnessing a recent idiotic trend of ‘Caring Companies’ and I for one would like them all to stop caring and just make and market their products. The implied contract is that they make X, Sell it for $Y, and the consumer decides the cost benefit analysis if they will buy said product. When they decide to introduce something new based on whatever market research they use – the market in terms of sales dollars will be the ultimate judge if they were right or not. Hello New Coke! This Ain't Rocket Surgery or some massive conspiracy to fool the blind sheep. I’m a long time 4R owner and do roll my eyes at the TRD marketing hype but at the end of the day people like it and are willing to spend their hard earned money on it.

Seems to me that all car companies are tapping into a perceived consumer desire for driving off payment. Just about every commercial shows this and many are offering their version to appeal to it. There’s even a “Offroad” Hyundai Santa Fe! At least Toyota has a well-earned reputation and pedigree, especially in regards to reliable off road vehicles., to be afforded at least the benefit of doubt and a honest opportunity to be heard.

Sorry if this sounded a little confrontational but it was sincerely not my intention.

Does the GX have the same front and rear diff/axle sizes as the LC300? The rear visually appears the same, but haven't seen pics of the front.

You guys talking about the Bronco....have you ever sat in one? Have you ever driven one?

I've driven multiple trims and I don't think you have if you're calling that a desirable vehicle on anything other than paper if you're coming from a Toyota much less a GX. They went the wrangler route on it, they made cheap plastic rattle box junk. They are selling it with novelty's and the name on it....
Lexus is lexus.....have never purchased a rolling living room and never will.....lovely vehicle but it only interests me in so far as it generally tends to telegraph whats going to happen down brand with toyota......and toyota's offerings of lexus-lite land cruisers over the last 25 years have been so lackluster that they couldnt even sell 3000 yehicles a year and exited the US market.

Ford put together offerings/options/features in the Bronco that were so appealing to americans that they've sold over 240,000 of them since it came out in 2020 and are completely sold out for 2023.....they're not taking any more orders for 2023

Based on the numbers, no one can deny that there isnt demand for an off roadable vehicle sans expensive self destroying plastic that includes offering of manual transmission, locking differential, hard and soft tops and a raft of other options.

People have bought these vehicles knowing what Fords build quality and issues are historically and likely to be in the future.

Ford has been so successful in its marketing and execution that every other car company ignores their success at their own peril

Lol. I highly doubt anyone here really think Toyota cares about them. The question is always will Toyota build the vehicle I want them too. If any of us are deluded it is a delusion that the vehicle we want is also the vehicle enough other people want that Toyota will find it worth building. I am generally happy with Toyota's recent direction re: design and features. On the other hand I do have concerns about their direction on reliability/durability (Turbos) and their sales model and apparent inability to deliver a decent number of vehicles.

Ford has been so successful in its marketing and execution that every other car company ignores their success at their own peril

Who else besides Chevy, who already blew it with the Blazer, is in a spot to do what Ford did? A classic American name reintroducing a classic model at a time when the demographic with a lot of nostalgia for the old model is also most financially likely in a spot to buy the reintroduction new? Ford made a smart move and had great execution, but they were in an unique position. Chevy is the only other automaker I can think of who had a shot to do something like that and they blew it.

Who else besides Chevy, who already blew it with the Blazer, is in a spot to do what Ford did? A classic American name reintroducing a classic model at a time when the demographic with a lot of nostalgia for the old model is also most financially likely in a spot to buy the reintroduction new? Ford made a smart move and had great execution, but they were in an unique position. Chevy is the only other automaker I can think of who had a shot to do something like that and they blew it.
The impression I get is that most of the disappointed people want Toyota to build a 2024 FJ40 soft top/hard top with std 35" wheels and dual live axles. While I agree that would be an awesome truck, I really have doubts about how many would end up selling.

Toyota is the largest vehicle manufacturer in the world and made over 10.5 million vehicles last year
GM is down the list, past VW, past Hyundai.....produced about 6.8 million vehicles last year
Ford is past GM at ~6.3 million

If anyone can DO it, its Toyota....they already manufacture all of the components globally that would be required to execute on a reboot of a short or medium wheel base 70 esque vehicle(s) that would compete directly with Ford's sold out offerings.....and do it better/more reliably.

They also have the marketing vehicle to do it in the US/North America via a "reboot" of the US Land Cruiser in a channelling of the 40/60 series legacy/functionality in similar manner that Ford did.

If Ford sold out its clear that there are sufficient americans eager to hand over their money for a similar form/function vehicle....

If Ford sold on average ~100k units a year there's no way Toyota wouldnt succeed with a well designed/executed competitor.

We know they're capable of pulling it off....look at the various GR versions of the Celica, Corolla and the 86(?)

While I agree that would be an awesome truck, I really have doubts about how many would end up selling.
Same. Would be an interesting experiment, but severely lacking in nostalgic tailwinds compared to the Bronco.

Agree-It should never be mentioned in in the same breath as a Land Cruiser regardless of trim.

If anyone can DO it, its Toyota....they already manufacture all of the components globally that would be required to execute on a reboot of a short or medium wheel base 70 esque vehicle(s) that would compete directly with Ford's sold out offerings.....and do it better/more reliably.
They have the capabilities, just not the positioning imo. I don't think it would have near the nostalgic tailwind of the Bronco. I feel like at least a third of the Bronco's I see are driven by middle-aged women. The 70 series carries nowhere near the clout.

They also have the marketing vehicle to do it in the US/North America via a "reboot" of the US Land Cruiser in a channelling of the 40/60 series legacy/functionality in similar manner that Ford did.
The LC has always been an expensive SUV. It's just too hard to replicate the conditions Ford had with a once popular and affordable SUV that had been out of production for 25 years.

Last edited:
I like this. Waiting for the Toyota LC Prado version. I much prefer the utilitarian nature of the LC 200 vs the LX 570. I don't want to be a Lexus driver---although back in the day I had an LS 400 now I am all toyota and no lexus. Not to mention I hate the grill on the LX. This GX looks great---LC Prado will be great for the wife who drives a 4runner. I offered her an LX or LC 200 but she prefers slighly smaller so the LC 250 will fit the bill. I hope the Prado version keeps knobs for climate control and I wish it had a tailgate but at least it isn't a barn door. All in all I'd say 8 out of 10. I love the body and color(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom