2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose the angles are a little bit apples and oranges. The LX angles are worse than LC 300. So probably the leave cruiser 250 angles will also be better than the GX.

Standouts to me from the press release:
33's, no front locker (not sure I understand this aversion to a front locker unless saved for LC250)
8K lb tow capacity (same as LX600)- That's a huge deal IMO. Great news. I know the Defender is rated for similar but has a 400lb tongue weight rating, I expect the GX will have 1,000lb tongue weight capacity similar to the Tundra/Sequoia/LX.
TTv6/10AT (According to Toyota, the 8AT allows overall higher belly clearance so that may go in the LC version)
Same platform as LX600. Same wheel base. And similar overall size. GX is now wider.
17mpg (this is not good)
AVS optional
E-KDSS on new Overtrail (TRD OR?) trim

Other than MPG - pretty good looking specs.

I think it's an LX600 re-skinned as much as it is a Prado. And maybe they finally are just the same thing now - it's been obvious where this ends up for a while now. It's finally done.

I think they did a great job with the redesign.

Things that I really like and are enough to put this at the top of my list for my next vehicle.

3rd row delete.
Overtrail Trim level for Lexus
no chrome
Using the Tundra's power plant.
Tow/Recovery points.
8k Tow rating.
Center and rear diff lockers.

Things that are sort of marginal but in no way a deal breaker.
33 inch tires, when vehicles that its marketed against offer 35/37 inch options.

Random thoughts....

While MPG's have always been at the bottom of my list of things that i have been concerned with, it is somewhat comical of all the energy that goes into mpg's, in this class of vehicle. I get that this is Wholey driven by government regulations, but, 17MPG is practically no more efficient than the 20-year-old v8 that in replaced. Yes, i do like that it has more torque than the old 4.6. but then again, GM's new 6.2 has arguably the same power numbers as Toyotas ttV6 and achieves the same MPG's in a larger vehicle and they don't require turbos to get there. Hell The 5.7 in my Armada almost does that with a 22 year old NA power plant.

It just feels like alot of this stuff falls into marketing gimmicks category and is aimed at inflating pricing. I wouldn't say that I am expecting a heavy BOF vehicle to do 20's MPG's with anything other than small highway tires, but it would be nice not be fed a bunch of the marketing departs BS regarding revolutionary engineering feats how they increased efficiency by 1 mpg over the past 25 years using hybrid technology that is still significantly less efficient than the 30 year old turbo diesel that your company still produces.

Interestingly...

If somebody parked the LX, GX and Sequoia in front of the house and said, pick one, no cost what so ever, Without question, I would go with the GX.

The LX offers no advantage over the GX and would require more money to correct wheels and bumbers, and the Sequioa is only interesting if it had an overtrain/3rd row deleate/ non hybrid option.

Looking good.

Last edited:
some versions do have a panoramic roof
GXP3005.jpg

some versions do have a panoramic roof
View attachment 3344489

ohhhh.

I like that.

Hopefully its an option on the 3rd row delete model. Not a deal breaker, but would pretty much seal the deal for the GX over trail. The LX not offering this is quire laughable.

If the 3rd row can be unbolted and taken to local dump, that could work.

Last edited:
Lexus dealers should be excited, this is a truck that is going to sell very well.

The adventure lifestyle SUV trend is very popular, the Bronco and Defender are selling like crazy, GMC has added AT4 to every truck line.

My biggest disappointment is they have attached silly monikers to the intriguing trim level, to say you have a Lexus GX “Overtrail” is about as embarrassing as a guy out with his buddies and ordering an umbrella drink in public!

Last edited:
Lexus dealers should be excited, this is a truck that is going to sell very well.

The adventure lifestyle SUV trend is very popular, the Bronco and Defender are selling like crazy, GMC has added AT4 to every truck line.

My biggest disappointment is they have attached silly monikers to the intriguing trim level, to say you have a Lexus GX “Overtrail” is about as embarrassing as a guy out with his buddies and ordering an umbrella drink in public!

Agree,

These days I think a lot of marketing departments are sorta of undermining themselves by by trying to difference too much with the trim levels. For one, its super cringey, and two, at a certain point, it just gets confusion, like with the bronco. I have no clue what the difference is between a big bend, and a outer banks or a badlands, ect... The only trim that matters is Raptor. You have a bronco or a bronco raptor.

Aftermarket fender flares and spacers will be needed just like 600 to get an off shelf wheel/tire combo to fit other than maybe a 275/70R18

Just eyeballing it,

How large of a tire do you think you can go on the GX without it turning into an abortion.

Width will be an issue. Watch for builds they will use BFG some they run small.

OE wheels maybe a 1” spacer and 285 will be pushing it just like LX.

Maybe a 35x10.5 Kenda

Agree,

These days I think a lot of marketing departments are sorta of undermining themselves by by trying to difference too much with the trim levels. For one, its super cringey, and two, at a certain point, it just gets confusion, like with the bronco. I have no clue what the difference is between a big bend, and a outer banks or a badlands, ect... The only trim that matters is Raptor. You have a bronco or a bronco raptor.
Well said!

Agree,

I said the same thing when they debuted. Just call it a Bronco ffs and let me pick how many doors and accessories I want.

Just eyeballing it,

How large of a tire do you think you can go on the GX without it turning into an abortion.
I'm thinking it depends on how the lower trim/running boards are attached. It doesn't take a lot of trimming on the current gen tundra to fit a 35, depending on wheel offset.
Despite the fact I dislike how Wesscott does their Collar system, they do a pretty good job showing what is possible with modest trimming.

ETA: I suspect you'll run out of up travel in the well before you have to get spicy on the fender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom