2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's too soon to say because I haven't sat in one (and who knows if I will?) Because I wonder if they will even sell this in the Middle East going forward but I think the interior of the LC300 is nicer than the GX550 & this is comparing Toyota vs Lexus product.

Yes the LC300 doesn't have a screen as nice or modern but the overall cabin is definitely more flagship.

This is just judging from whatever photos/videos I have seen online.

I honestly think the Lx600 dual screen is terrible but they will fix that probably soon.

It seems like no variant of the next GX has front locking diffs.

Also not a fan of this one
The beige one (overtrail) is nice but this normal version doesn't look that good honestly too busy
Should have had square fenders like the lc300
Looks abit too top heavy too in typical prado fashion. (Big head syndrome)
The flagship cruisers don't have this issue.
Maybe im a jealous lc300 owner who knows
2024-lexus-gx-front-three-quarters (1).jpg
2024-lexus-gx-rear-three-quarters.jpg

I am reading that is is coming with the non hybrid twin turbo V-6. 349 bhp and 479 lb-ft. It would be interesting if the Max Hybrid will be an option.

Not going to lie, I have always been a little disappointed that I got an LX instead of a Land Cruiser. But this GX changes my mind on Lexus. We will have to see what they do on the Toyota end, but Toyota is moving in the right direction with this one.

Last edited:
Rear locking diff, 33s, 112.2" wheelbase (sound familiar?), LSS 3.0 (works amazing - we have TSS 3.0 in our 2023 Prius), huge infotainment screen for running apps via Carplay/AA, 479 lb ft of torque + 10 speed transmission, great colors at launch...I'm here for it.

It's too soon to say because I haven't sat in one (and who knows if I will?) Because I wonder if they will even sell this in the Middle East going forward but I think the interior of the LC300 is nicer than the GX550 & this is comparing Toyota vs Lexus product.

Yes the LC300 doesn't have a screen as nice or modern but the overall cabin is definitely more flagship.

I honestly think the Lx600 dual screen is terrible but they will fix that probably soon.
It’s my understanding that in the new Toyo/Lex hierarchy the 300 Series is considered the Flagship and the new GX and North American LC will be their Halo’s.

Standouts to me from the press release:
33's, no front locker (not sure I understand this aversion to a front locker unless saved for LC250)
8K lb tow capacity (same as LX600)- That's a huge deal IMO. Great news. I know the Defender is rated for similar but has a 400lb tongue weight rating, I expect the GX will have 1,000lb tongue weight capacity similar to the Tundra/Sequoia/LX.
TTv6/10AT (According to Toyota, the 8AT allows overall higher belly clearance so that may go in the LC version)
Same platform as LX600. Same wheel base. And similar overall size. GX is now wider.
17mpg (this is not good)
AVS optional
E-KDSS on new Overtrail (TRD OR?) trim

Other than MPG - pretty good looking specs.

I think it's an LX600 re-skinned as much as it is a Prado. And maybe they finally are just the same thing now - it's been obvious where this ends up for a while now. It's finally done.

As much as I dislike "Trailhunter" it is better than "Overtrail."

So..... I noticed the press release is from Texas? Is this going to be built in Texas? Is everyone ok if that is the case? I kinda want my Land Cruiser adjacent vehicle made in Japan.

Last edited:
As much as I dislike "Trailhunter" it is better than "Overtrail."

So..... I noticed the press release is from Texas? Is this going to be built in Texas? Is everyone ok if that is the case? I kinda want my Land Cruiser adjacent vehicle made in Japan.
Its being built in Japan, "The 2024 GX will be assembled at the Tahara plant in Japan and is expected to go on sale inearly 2024."

Its being built in Japan, "The 2024 GX will be assembled at the Tahara plant in Japan and is expected to go on sale inearly 2024."
I see that now, thanks.

I know TFL is a controversial youtube channel but I am watching their GX550 Overtrail video now and I really like it.

I think Toyota should give the Landcruiser everything the Overtrail has plus the sway bar disconnect in the Tacoma Trailhunter (if compatible with KDSS). I think the 4Runner should get the 4cylinder hybrid to distinguish it from its upmarket cousins.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how those angles make sense. Same wheel base, GX has bigger tires, and the length is within 1 inch. Seems like they should be very close.

The top Photo was from the global Toyota website

the photo below is from Lexus USA. Either way LC300 gets better results.
Comparing what I have seen with the LC300 in real life and the GX in the videos, the way the bumper is angled in the LC300 is better (even if in first glance it looks less off-road-y)
Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 7.31.43 AM.png

I work in Kuwait and my gut feeling will be that they will show up here. While the LC is by far the most common badge, here, the GX is available in the market. Its not incredibly popular as you can get a 300 series in the same price range.

The approach/breakover/departure angles are very disappointing.
Before the reveal they were claiming "world class" off-roadability. Not with those angles!
The approach angle is a step down from the 150-series Prado
Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 07.11.05.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom