2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be an interesting reveal,

Certainly the same heritage, but the Prado line is light duty as pointed out. Which is probably good enough for 99% of the current usage.

It will be a good vehicle, however as Land Cruisers in the US get further away from its roots of simple serviceability AND Robust over engineering and manufacturing it will lose traditional supporters along the way, I have always considered the GX and Prado a Land Cruiser light, which it is and there isn’t much argument when they are 60-70% of the cost, something somewhere has to be sacrificed, it’s Toyota’s job to determine if they can delete in areas where most will never know or care!!!

Would you rather have over engineering and build quality or Apple Car Play, Hybrid powertrains(better MPG), etc. because to get both you are in LX territory!!

All being said, I have been around long enough to remember when 100 series weren’t considered a real Land Cruiser on this forum because they lost a solid axle and inline 6 cylinder, and then the 200 came out and 100 Series became the preferred overlander rig and gained respect from many and now there as many 200’s in that role as 100’s. The difference in those was still they still had the same heavy feel that Land Cruiser owners expect, this one will not have the same feel, it is almost guaranteed!

Some people will adapt others will not, been the same for every Cruiser evolution, but this time traditional supporters will loose more than ever!!!
Car enthusiasts not liking the newest version of said car is a tale as old as time and that will never change. As long as those traditional supporters are replaced by new customers who otherwise wouldn’t have given any thought to a LC it will be a success for Toyota.

Car enthusiasts not liking the newest version of said car is a tale as old as time and that will never change. As long as those traditional supporters are replaced by new customers who otherwise wouldn’t have given any thought to a LC it will be a success for Toyota.

Thats a re-affirmation that the "Land Cruiser" badging (in the US at least) has become nothing more than an advertising mechanism that actually means nothing.

Repeat customers are and always have been the foundation of Toyota sales

Screw customers hard enough or fail to deliver a vehicle they want and they spend their money elsewhere

Stats presented previously show that Toyota failed to present a "Land Cruiser" that people wanted to buy post ~2020 compared to sales from 70's through the end of the 1990's.....so clearly they failed utterly and completely to replace lost buyers....

That is a failure of toyota USA to offer a vehicle that people wanted to buy.....hence the departure of the over accessorized lc line from the US

The only question that remains is whether or not Toyota USA will reintroduce a LC badged vehicle in a configuration that people want to buy

when new 2022 Tundra teaser was shown first, it came with a picture of phone in wireless charging area. the screen had 9:19 on it. and the 2022 Tundra ended up being fully revealed on September 19.

2022 Toyota Tundra Reveals Multi-Terrain Select, Qi Wireless Phone Charging - https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2022-toyota-tundra-reveals-multi-terrain-select-qi-wireless-phone-charging-166089.html#

Toyotausa IG posted the picture of 3rd gen tacoma with license plate that read 040423 earlier this year. and then they released first teaser with 2024 tacoma on Toyotausa IG page on April 4th 2023. 040423.

2024 Toyota Tacoma Teases April 4 Debut And Itself In Latest Instagram Post | Carscoops - https://www.carscoops.com/2023/03/2024-toyota-tacoma-teases-april-4-debut-and-itself-in-latest-instagram-post/

now the GX plate reads GDR 734

2024 Lexus GX: What We Know So Far - https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/gx

I have no idea what GDR or RDG could mean but 734 reversed 437 definitely mean something and the only thing that the number matches is the official hp rating of Tundra hybrid system

That is exactly right!

Many of the initial defectors return after time or sometimes skip a generation or two (on vehicle’s that have a quicker refresh) and return!

I wasn’t a 200 fan until I started learning more about the engineering and we started to modify them to give it the correct stance and look and now it is my 5th favorite Land Cruiser series ahead of both the 55 and 100 Series!!!

We often forget it is Toyota’s job to sell vehicles, not please us enthusiasts, at least we get to armchair the entire process!!!

At the end of the day - it's metal and paint. We'll know more today, but won't really know until it is finally released. All indications are that it'll be on a shared or very similar bare chassis to the LC300 and likely have better clearance and off-road geometry. Off-road means a lot of things and no vehicle does everything, but it will likely be the most balanced off-road capable SUV in Toyota's lineup covering everything from desert to rocks. It seems to me that the only thing it might be missing is the pride and vanity of being priced the highest in the stable. The most heavily built now is the Sequoia. The LC300 is somewhere in the middle. All of which share the same frame "silhouette" as Toyota calls it and the same basic architecture.

Toyota doesn't have much choice in engines. The turbos perform 20-50% better in EPA test cycles. Given that - the turbo 4 is probably the better engine if you actually want a serviceable engine. The Tacoma 4cyl has good access to the turbo and pretty much everything on the engine compared to the TTv6. And it only requires one airbox. It's not the engine I would want if I were doing a clean sheet design - I'd build a roughly 3 liter turbo I6, but it's probably a decent engine for this application given the EPA constraints.
1686244827937.png

shared on the other thread. Behold!

I love the styling. Very sharp. Looks like a direct competitor for the new defender.

And its a good sign that the grille didn't get too predator-like!

Okay, I'm excited. I like it!

Vehicle looks great. Unusual to see adds targeted an older crowd, but it's probably squarely at the biggest demographic.

Shows two different trims - silver one has significantly different body cladding, so maybe an offroad model and a luxury model?

Last edited:
I'm getting 80 series vibes here, like if you slapped an 80 front end and hood on this, it wouldnt be too far off.

1686252762218.png

Edit: This Specifically
1686253725714.png

Last edited:
Vehicle looks great. Unusual to see adds targeted an older crowd, but it's probably squarely at the biggest demographic.

Shows two different trims - silver one has significantly different body cladding, so maybe an offroad model and a luxury model?

If you’ve been to any of the Overland ****fests, this is absolutely the demographic that can afford a $50-80k new car and then slap another $50k worth of junk on it.

Toyota ain’t dumb; they sold 10.5 million cars last year and are slated to surpass that this year.

If you’ve been to any of the Overland f***fests, this is absolutely the demographic that can afford a $50-80k new car and then slap another $50k worth of junk on it.

Toyota ain’t dumb; they sold 10.5 million cars last year and are slated to surpass that this year.
I've never been to one. Half the campgrounds in Moab feel like that these days. haha. But I'm sure you're right. Usually the pitch is "you could feel as adventurous as these young people doing outdoor stuff." The LX promos were that way. Some of them were really good. But some were also pretty cringeworthy too. This lady in the LX video who apparently is leaving her sunglasses on to look through binoculars might fit right in with a safari overland camp setup at the local city park:
1686257194941.png

If a Bronco Sport and a Pathfinder had a Baby?🤔

Reactions: bkg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom