2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new prado based land cruiser would be as big as 80 series and came with 9.5" rear diff and at least 8" front diff.

By your definition this would means 80 series is baby land cruiser too😁😁
I guess I look at it as the LC has always evolved over the years into something more premium that sat on top of Toyotas lineup. Best of the best parts and build.

I see this as a truck that has devolved, and believe that it is just going to be pieced together to try to satisfy the US market.

Believe me, I want nothing more than Toyota to prove me wrong but I have serious doubts. Their decisions are always based on what will make the most profit not what the LC owners want.

I guess I look at it as the LC has always evolved over the years into something more premium that sat on top of Toyotas lineup. Best of the best parts and build.

I see this as a truck that has devolved, and believe that it is just going to be pieced together to try to satisfy the US market.

Believe me, I want nothing more than Toyota to prove me wrong but I have serious doubts. Their decisions are always based on what will make the most profit not what the LC owners want.
IMO the Tundra and Sequoia were not good enough.

But when I look at the Tacoma Trailhunter. It's pretty solid effort to build what the buyers are asking for with the biggest exception of having a front locker and maybe a 4:1 low range. Put that package in an SUV with boxy styling and a TTV6 or T4Hybrid - I don't see much of a compromise. It's pretty close to everything we've asked for: Boxy traditional styling, highway safety and ride quality from IFS, 400hp, 9.5" coil spring rear end, factory bypass shocks, huge disc brakes, great visibility, 2.5kw inverter, onboard air. Seems like it checks as many boxes as it could given that not everyone would want the same things. It even returned to a proper 6 bolt pattern.

What would be on the list for you that they'd need to change to make it more of a real LC?

The only things I can think of I'd change are to have a turbo I6, lower range transfer case, front locker and 8.9" diff, KDSS, and an OEM winch. Beyond that - and some of those might even be included - I'm not really sure what else I would add.

Although - if they still use a m*%^*$ f%)(*#$ needle bearing in the front diff - someone needs to be publicly flogged.

A source that can be relied upon as an insider (as well as a very well-connected source and has access-- he's interviewed CE's as well as Akio in the past):

Also, I think I'm going to move this thread to the GX section as that's what we are dealing with shortly, in all reality.

When they say "hybrid" I hope they are not referring to hybrid ICE/CI and electric.....but rather a hybrid of existing LC lines

So basically a 4WD Prius

If thats the case I'm definately buying another JDM
The 4-cyl hybrid is 326 bhp and 465 lbsft of torque, so no, not a Prius.

Don't get me wrong, I do have concerns about that engine, and its V-6 cousin. But being a Prius is not one of them.

I think the 4cyl is good for the 4 Runner, but a LC should get the V-6.

So basically a 4WD Prius

If thats the case I'm definately buying another JDM
it will likely be the same hybrid powertrain that is in the Sequoia. That is no Prius. All Toyota engines are heading that way so it should come as no surprise when they release the GX with a hybrid.

it will likely be the same hybrid powertrain that is in the Sequoia. That is no Prius. All Toyota engines are heading that way so it should come as no surprise when they release the GX with a hybrid.

Considering the sequoia hybrid power plant gives a full size size vehicle mid size cargo capacity, dropping this power plant into a mid size vehicle would result in having about the same cargo capacity as a 2 door bronco or jeep. That would be a hard pass for me.

I am more interested in cargo capacity than an extra 1 to 2 MPG's under ideal unloaded. highway driving conditions.

Considering the sequoia hybrid power plant gives a full size size vehicle mid size cargo capacity, dropping this power plant into a mid size vehicle would result in having about the same cargo capacity as a 2 door bronco or jeep. That would be a hard pass for me.

I am more interested in cargo capacity than an extra 1 to 2 MPG's under ideal unloaded. highway driving conditions.

I'm more interested in an off road capable vehicle that is as simple as possible that is to a large degree field serviceable like LC's have been previously

A complicated off road prius hybrid is a deal killer for me and most everyone I know that would otherwise be interested in a LC.

We watched Toyota USA destroy the LC line once by turning it into a Lexus.......dont be surprised if they do it again

If only they just brought the 70 series to the US or in fact the 300 series like most countries do except the US.

So instead, we are getting some bastardized design trying to be the 70 series, yet is a Prado, which they just slab the name Land Cruiser on :bang:

How is this going to carry the heritage of the 60, 80, 100 and 200 series?

It is a joke what Toyota is doing with the Land Cruiser in the US.
Whether you're a fan of the Prado or not it is still as much a Land Cruiser as the 200-series and 300-series are Land Cruisers.
The 50/60/80/100/200/300-series evolved from the 40-series meanwhile the Prado evolved from the 70-series.
Also this time around the difference between the Prado and the 300-series will be less being they both use the same TNGA-F platform/chassis.
Although I am aware that using the same platform does not mean identical for example the TNGA-F used in the Tacoma is gauged down compared to the TNGA-F for the Tundra because the Tacoma does not have to be as robust as the Tundra.

LC Family tree:
20210802_01_64.jpg

The badge "Land Cruiser" is just a marketing tool

Different people want different things.....I want function not fashion

At least wrt what we've seen in the US over the last 25 years, from a perspective of "Function" the 4Runner and Tacoma have more common traits/function/ease of service/repair with the traditional landcruiser than their counterparts that carry the LC badge

If its overly complicated and expensive to maintain or has a ton of easily damaged plastic particularly on the front its not coming home with me

Similarly if it has an onboard "Nanny" that cant be disabled or better yet exorcised from the vehicle entirely its not coming home with me.

Should be an interesting reveal,
Whether you're a fan of the Prado or not it is still as much a Land Cruiser as the 200-series and 300-series are Land Cruisers.
The 50/60/80/100/200/300-series evolved from the 40-series meanwhile the Prado evolved from the 70-series.
Also this time around the difference between the Prado and the 300-series will be less being they both use the same TNGA-F platform/chassis.
Although I am aware that using the same platform does not mean identical for example the TNGA-F used in the Tacoma is gauged down compared to the TNGA-F for the Tundra because the Tacoma does not have to be as robust as the Tundra.

LC Family tree:
View attachment 3343662
Certainly the same heritage, but the Prado line is light duty as pointed out. Which is probably good enough for 99% of the current usage.

It will be a good vehicle, however as Land Cruisers in the US get further away from its roots of simple serviceability AND Robust over engineering and manufacturing it will lose traditional supporters along the way, I have always considered the GX and Prado a Land Cruiser light, which it is and there isn’t much argument when they are 60-70% of the cost, something somewhere has to be sacrificed, it’s Toyota’s job to determine if they can delete in areas where most will never know or care!!!

Would you rather have over engineering and build quality or Apple Car Play, Hybrid powertrains(better MPG), etc. because to get both you are in LX territory!!

All being said, I have been around long enough to remember when 100 series weren’t considered a real Land Cruiser on this forum because they lost a solid axle and inline 6 cylinder, and then the 200 came out and 100 Series became the preferred overlander rig and gained respect from many and now there as many 200’s in that role as 100’s. The difference in those was still they still had the same heavy feel that Land Cruiser owners expect, this one will not have the same feel, it is almost guaranteed!

Some people will adapt others will not, been the same for every Cruiser evolution, but this time traditional supporters will loose more than ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom