2022 Mud and Snow Run? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_5999.JPG
IMG_6001.JPG

Very nice pictures , and weather , Is that Rolando ???

A few more from later in the day.

I call these:
Hitching a ride.
Camp kitchen in the parking lot waiting for a tow.
When life hands you a crap sandwich, be sure to add steak.
And
Happiness is a tow truck showing up when they said they would.

20220219_142410.jpg

20220219_190511.jpg

20220219_192518.jpg

20220219_195649.jpg

@ elroberds SIZZLE SqueakyCleanDave Andrew Vincent Blade 80LC and anyone else who came along but I don't know the screen name for:

I just got my truck back this afternoon. For everyone who was on the trail run and wanted to know what the ultimate culprit was...

drum roll please ...

The fusible link at the battery.

Apparently on most cars, there is just one link and when it goes, nothing works. On these 80's there are three wires that go to various places. In my case, when the mechanic took a look he saw "no check engine light" and thought the ECU may have crapped it. Some items on the ECU were working but others weren't. They saw a few other things that didn't look right / not plugged in tight and decided to dig further. They found the dead link, but it still wouldn't start. They noticed the fuel pump wasn't coming on so they checked at the access hatch and found it hadn't been plugged back in when we started packing up to get towed off the mountain. Plugged back in, replaced the fusible link, checked a few other wires and it started back up.

Per my guy (Frank at Frank's Import Repair Service - formerly of Toyota Pro back when I was going there), these fuses don't go bad often, but they do occasionally and mine looked original (~220K). He also noted they usually will give a "burnt" visual indicator that they're done, but he had to check continuity on mine to spot the issue.

Anyway, I thought I'd post up here in case anyone was interested what ultimately knocked my cruiser down so it couldn't get back up again (for several days).

On a related note, I'll give a shout out to Frank again. If you're looking to have someone in the Concord area work on your cruiser, I would talk to him. I was disappointed when I found he wasn't at Toyota Pro anymore. I happened upon him again and now bring my truck to him when I get stumped or just need someone who can get the job done when I can't. He has Carmelo (also from TP back in the good 'ol days) working for him part time too. They really seem to know their stuff and get things done.

Thanks again to all the guys on the run who stuck with us, tried to get me running, and got me back to a place where I could arrange a tow. Nine years ago I bought a Land Cruiser (instead of a Jeep) because of the support I found on this site, and I'm glad I was wheeling with a solid group of guys from here when I had issues.

@ elroberds SIZZLE SqueakyCleanDave Andrew Vincent Blade 80LC and anyone else who came along but I don't know the screen name for:

I just got my truck back this afternoon. For everyone who was on the trail run and wanted to know what the ultimate culprit was...

drum roll please ...

The fusible link at the battery.

Apparently on most cars, there is just one link and when it goes, nothing works. On these 80's there are three wires that go to various places. In my case, when the mechanic took a look he saw "no check engine light" and thought the ECU may have crapped it. Some items on the ECU were working but others weren't. They saw a few other things that didn't look right / not plugged in tight and decided to dig further. They found the dead link, but it still wouldn't start. They noticed the fuel pump wasn't coming on so they checked at the access hatch and found it hadn't been plugged back in when we started packing up to get towed off the mountain. Plugged back in, replaced the fusible link, checked a few other wires and it started back up.

Per my guy (Frank at Frank's Import Repair Service - formerly of Toyota Pro back when I was going there), these fuses don't go bad often, but they do occasionally and mine looked original (~220K). He also noted they usually will give a "burnt" visual indicator that they're done, but he had to check continuity on mine to spot the issue.

Anyway, I thought I'd post up here in case anyone was interested what ultimately knocked my cruiser down so it couldn't get back up again (for several days).

On a related note, I'll give a shout out to Frank again. If you're looking to have someone in the Concord area work on your cruiser, I would talk to him. I was disappointed when I found he wasn't at Toyota Pro anymore. I happened upon him again and now bring my truck to him when I get stumped or just need someone who can get the job done when I can't. He has Carmelo (also from TP back in the good 'ol days) working for him part time too. They really seem to know their stuff and get things done.

Thanks again to all the guys on the run who stuck with us, tried to get me running, and got me back to a place where I could arrange a tow. Nine years ago I bought a Land Cruiser (instead of a Jeep) because of the support I found on this site, and I'm glad I was wheeling with a solid group of guys from here when I had issues.
Glad you got home safe. Thanks for letting us know what the issue was. I’ve heard multiple times that being the culprit of a hard to diagnose electrical issue. It was awesome to see a great group of guys jump in to help solve the problem and get you back safe.

Thanks for the update @Ugly Dwarf

It stings to know that our run got curtailed by an easily accessible and testable part that costs less than $20.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I really wish I had pulled my fusible link to swap into your truck. I'm pretty sure I have a spare as well and will be carrying it on runs from now on. Many of us are aware that the Toyota fusible link (90982-08264) has been unavailable for some time and may never be available again. Know that there are some vendors (QC Motorsports) offering aftermarket replacement units and that it is feasible to assemble your own as well.

I've learned a lot from our shared experience and for that I thank you.

Thanks for the update @Ugly Dwarf

It stings to know that our run got curtailed by an easily accessible and testable part that costs less than $20.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I really wish I had pulled my fusible link to swap into your truck. I'm pretty sure I have a spare as well and will be carrying it on runs from now on. Many of us are aware that the Toyota fusible link (90982-08264) has been unavailable for some time and may never be available again. Know that there are some vendors (QC Motorsports) offering aftermarket replacement units and that it is feasible to assemble your own as well.

I've learned a lot from our shared experience and for that I thank you
Second all sentiments but one. Actually, OEMs are still available. I got mine from Wits End this past summer. Looks like they’re currently back ordered through Joey (is this the shortage you were referring to?):

Here’s an Amazon seller claiming to have 5 (4 now that I bought my spare):

Amazon product ASIN B01FE57YZE
And if your junction block cracks up on you, there’s:

Second all sentiments but one. Actually, OEMs are still available. I got mine from Wits End this past summer. Looks like they’re currently back ordered through Joey (is this the shortage you were referring to?):

Here’s an Amazon seller claiming to have 5 (4 now that I bought my spare):

Amazon product ASIN B01FE57YZE
And if your junction block cracks up on you, there’s:

I thought I had heard mention elsewhere of dealerships not being able to supply fusible links for 80 series cruisers and was unable to find the spare I thought I had.

There were some on eBay however and my spare arrived today. I'll be carrying it in the cruiser from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom