2022 LC200 or LC300? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lockers don’t seem like a very compelling feature that would push me over the edge in the decision to upgrade to a new model (to me).

They are a pretty accessible aftermarket modification. For a few thousand dollars you can install ARB or Harrop/Eaton lockers into any land cruiser 200 series (tech-ish content?).

Anecdotally, it seems as though lockers are less interesting to most new Land Cruiser buyers than they are to the people that buy them used.

I had a Tacoma TRD with a factory rear locker and think I may have used it a dozen times the entire time I owned it. There are just so few places you *need* lockers with a modern 4x4 (hard core off-roading aside).
Lockers are big in the Australian and African market, where people buy LCs brand new to drive in the bush for weekend or holiday fun. Very different cultures than the US.

I continue to say the same thing about the 100. I bought a new FJ60 in 1987 and it was great. When the new 100 came out in 1998 i thought it just could not be a real land cruiser because it looked all curvy and plasticky, had IFS and power everything. Even leather! Yuck! Still bought a new one in 1998. Over the next 17 years i got used to it but then decided it was time for a new one. Bought a new 2015 - big bloated 200 anyway. Still love it. But i do find myself gazing at that old FJ60 from time to time wishing i could still buy a new one.

Fun fact, the 100-Series wasn't the first Land Cruiser to have IFS.

Since the 8 speed change, I believe toyota no longer has any diff locked cruisers (except the 6 speed lower trim GX models, not in every region) and now relies on electronics to get through the rough stuff.

Would be interesting to see toyota go back to mechanical diff lockers.. let alone both front and rear.

Since the 8 speed change, I believe toyota no longer has any diff locked cruisers (except the 6 speed lower trim GX models, not in every region) and now relies on electronics to get through the rough stuff.

Would be interesting to see toyota go back to mechanical diff lockers.. let alone both front and rear.
Has the 8spd made it into other markets yet? I was thinking (possibly incorrectly) many other places still used the 6spd.

And is the 8spd behind the 1VD also? Or just gas engines?

introduce two all-new, three-row SUVs designed with the active Gen Y American Family in mind. What’s more, only one will bear the Toyota name. The other will officially introduce the Lexus line to Toyota Indiana.

If not Sequoia, Tundra, Tacoma then possibly a renewed focus on the Highlander electric? (Hoping they keep the LC in JP)
Maybe the new LQ? And Toyota version of LQ?

the LC 300 will have the 10 speed mated with the 3.5l like in the LS500. That would be a nice setup. If they get the same efficiency gains they got with the LS460 to LS500 transition, they could theoretically get 18 city and 25 highway in an gasser LC.

Maybe moving the Rx from Canada to US? Highlander and Rx all share 3 rows...

Side note, I’m am beating myself up for not being able to afford a new 200 to have for the next 25 years after seeing the 300 (that we may never see stateside anyway). I’ll have to keep the 09 running forever now.

Yes this is most likely the LQ crossover. Another article mentions the addition of a model and an LX 570 replacement that is to serve as the halo offroad vehicle for the Toyota Lexus lineup - sounds like they have big plans for the 300 series LX

Has the 8spd made it into other markets yet? I was thinking (possibly incorrectly) many other places still used the 6spd.

And is the 8spd behind the 1VD also? Or just gas engines?
Basically any LC200 with the 5.7 gas engine (3UR-FE) got the 8-speed @ 2018+ model year. Since the US only has this engine option, all cruisers got it.

In other markets, the LC200 still has other engine options as follows:
6 speed auto: 4.6 v8 gas engine (1UR-FE) and the diesel variant (4.5 v8, 1VD-FTV)
5 speed (auto or manual): on lowest spec models, have a 4.0 v6 gas engine (1GR-FE)

As for the US market, I seem to recall a meeting with a Toyota engineer or bigwig, saying they’ll never pull the LC from the USA. It’s posted up somewhere on this forum.

At an LCDC a few years back. Something along the lines of the LC is Toyotas flag ship vehicle..................

I guess if we get it as an LX we still get the flag ship?

At an LCDC a few years back. Something along the lines of the LC is Toyotas flag ship vehicle..................

I guess if we get it as an LX we still get the flag ship?
@Climbingnut that was Dave from Toyota. He first came to Breckenridge in 2017, which is when he made the original comment about the LC being the flagship/halo vehicle for the US. He was back in Ouray in 2019 and said more or less the same thing. He was apparently involved in testing the 200 and other Toyota vehicles. So his info seems legit, but having worked for big companies myself I can totally believe that this is what he was told was the plan and what he saw and heard happening around him, but corporate may very well have decided to kill the 300 in the US regardless of what marketing, engineering, etc pushed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom