2022 LC200 or LC300? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TBH given the facelift and interior changes I feel like the 2016 LC was supposed to be the 300, but Toyota didn't have the engine ready so they kept the 200 name. At least in photos (inside and out) the 300 looks more like a 2016+ 200 than IMO the 2016-2021 did to the 2008-2015.
Really looks like the 2016+ LX styling exterior and interior.

This thing is fugly. Sorry but it is.

and it’s not the same as not liking it because it’s the new land cruiser and I’m old school (ie like how some 100 homers hated the 200)

it’s ugly because it’s ugly. Hope there is something else planned for the US market.

I can’t see anything but a smile when i look at it. Like on ‘Cars.’
B34C25F3-91F3-4642-84C3-CFE0F84F4A3D.jpeg

and it’s not the same as not liking it because it’s the new land cruiser and I’m old school (ie like how some 100 homers hated the 200)

it’s ugly because it’s ugly. Hope there is something else planned for the US market.

Swap 100 for 200 and 80 for 100 and I'm certain we can find a post matching yours from about 14 years ago.

Personally I think this looks better than any sub generation of the 200.. though IMO the 16-21 is close.

I like the styling on the 300, and it has more power, better efficiency, updated technology, updated safety, and improved off road performance with locking front and rear diffs for the first time since 1997. It would look better with a color matched ARB front bumper of course, so hopefully they release one soon. Even if it was available here, I still prefer the R1S which reminds me of a Land Cruiser from 20 years in the future. I look forward to the day Toyota makes an EV Land Cruiser 😎

I like the styling on the 300, and it has more power, better efficiency, updated technology, updated safety, and improved off road performance with locking front and rear diffs for the first time since 1997. It would look better with a color matched ARB front bumper of course, so hopefully they release one soon. Even if it was available here, I still prefer the R1S which reminds me of a Land Cruiser from 20 years in the future. I look forward to the day Toyota makes an EV Land Cruiser 😎
Wow, it has locking differentials front and rear?? Now that is awesome!

The GR spec sheet shows front and rear lockers, that is the only thing that has me excited. I am in the "I bet we see them stateside in the next 2-5 years" camp, I just don't see the LC gone for good here in the US. My biggest complaint with the looks of those we are seeing here are the flat fenders, not only does it scream Nissan Patrol/Armada, it's the one major thing on our GX that I can't stand with the styling that can't be addressed/fixed/altered. I am not opposed to EV tech but I don't see the range/capability or the charging support infrastructure where I would like it to be in order to jump on board with a purchase at this moment in time.

Swap 100 for 200 and 80 for 100 and I'm certain we can find a post matching yours from about 14 years ago.

Personally I think this looks better than any sub generation of the 200.. though IMO the 16-21 is close.
16-21 is thus far my favorite LC of the last 20 years. If my '13 wasn't mostly built I'd trade into a '16 or '17.

The 300 looks similar to the 16-21 in the photos, but more Lexus than I like. I know big grills and squinty LED headlights are in, but TBH I didn't like them on the massive Silverado grill either, Or F-series, or Sequoia/Tundra whereas 90% of truck-loving Americans seem to prefer the "bigger is better" look. Maybe in 10 years I'll feel differently.

All that said if the 300 came to the US there's still a good chance I'd eventually be the second owner of one and solve a few of those cosmetic preferences with some solid steel...

I can’t see anything but a smile when i look at it. Like on ‘Cars.’
View attachment 2657798
I continue to say the same thing about the 100. I bought a new FJ60 in 1987 and it was great. When the new 100 came out in 1998 i thought it just could not be a real land cruiser because it looked all curvy and plasticky, had IFS and power everything. Even leather! Yuck! Still bought a new one in 1998. Over the next 17 years i got used to it but then decided it was time for a new one. Bought a new 2015 - big bloated 200 anyway. Still love it. But i do find myself gazing at that old FJ60 from time to time wishing i could still buy a new one.

My biggest complaint with the looks of those we are seeing here are the flat fenders, not only does it scream Nissan Patrol/Armada, it's the one major thing on our GX that I can't stand with the styling that can't be addressed/fixed/altered.

I do agree on the squared wheel openings. New GMs are barely curved at all and I think they look stupid.. to see toyota moving this direction is frustrating but I do understand there are larger pressures in vehicle styling that I may not agree with.

...squinty LED headlights are in, but TBH I didn't like them on the massive Silverado grill either,

I haven't paid a lot of attention to new truck headlamps but when I got a close look at the GM, and now this, it seems squinty is almost necessary to get LEDs to work well. Considering they are going to be PCB mounted and a simple ~45* mirror can put the beam in the correct direction.. but a single LED on each side likely won't get the job done..

I'm curious whether real down-spec 300s in other markets will have halogen still.. as is the case with some 200s despite LEDs being standard here and other places.

Hmmm, having standard lockers front & rear (and center diff)…is quite interesting. :) Did i say how much i love the new look of the 300?! :D

Lockers don’t seem like a very compelling feature that would push me over the edge in the decision to upgrade to a new model (to me).

They are a pretty accessible aftermarket modification. For a few thousand dollars you can install ARB or Harrop/Eaton lockers into any land cruiser 200 series (tech-ish content?).

Anecdotally, it seems as though lockers are less interesting to most new Land Cruiser buyers than they are to the people that buy them used.

I had a Tacoma TRD with a factory rear locker and think I may have used it a dozen times the entire time I owned it. There are just so few places you *need* lockers with a modern 4x4 (hard core off-roading aside).

Last edited:
Lockers don’t seem like a very compelling feature that would push me over the edge in the decision to upgrade to a new model (to me).

They are a pretty accessible aftermarket modification. For a few thousand dollars you can install ARB or Harrop/Eaton lockers into any land cruiser 200 series (tech-ish content?).

Anecdotally, it seems as though lockers are less interesting to most new Land Cruiser buyers than they are to the people that buy them used.

I had a Tacoma TRD with a factory rear locker and think I may have used it a dozen times the entire time I owned it. There are just so few places you *need* lockers with a modern 4x4 (hard core off-roading aside).

Plus, toyota doesn’t always get their lockers totally right. As holy-grail as they seem, the rear e-locker in an 80 could twist the axle splines and make it impossible to remove the shaft, which is needed before removing the diff. Not to mention actually disengage the locker. Or the rust issues that plagued the actuators.

And I’m still not a fan of the harrop disengaging when changing direction. Then again no air leaks.. though I like the internal “lock up the diff” construction of ARB the most, personally.

If someone could figure out an implementation of a-trac/crawl that actually works like a true locker it should cover all of these issues.

I still prefer the ARB locker over the Harrop/Eaton and yes adding them aftermarket on a current 200 series is much easier and more affordable than trading for a new 300. I too think the 2016+ is the best looking of the 200's and I don't see it becoming an outdated look anytime soon.

With a nose that low (if all have it), then i wonder if LC300 will rely heavily on AHC To get proper angles for off-road? If it does indeed come with lockers, then the engineers have envisioned it off-roading…and if so, then AHC must play a big role??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom