2022 Colorado planning thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ToyosandHam

SILVER Star
Threads
We are kicking off the 2022 CO trip thread early so folks can start planning. Right now:

* We are considering basing out of Ouray instead of Silverton
* We are looking at the week of July 25th - 29th

Who's in?

- Charles @ToyosandHam
- Clarence @booradley UPDATE - OUT
- Brandon @bamabrock
- Cole @Bama4door UPDATE - OUT
- French @BamaHeel UPDATE - OUT
- Ashton @IPman32 UPDATE - OUT
- Stephen @Forerunner
- Daniel @ab1985 UPDATE - OUT
- Clay @TachedOutOffRoad
- Rock

Last edited:
Sign me up. My work requires me to schedule about a year out and I have blocked that week off. Height of the season out there, and those are the tentative dates for Hundreds in the Hills, for which I am allegedly still registered.

But it is more fun with a heavy DLC turnout. Lots of options. We have discussed:
- Santa Fe
- Rimrocker trail from Montrose to Moab
- Crested Butte so we can do the other half of that trail we missed
- Parts north so we can see more wildlife

I'm going to block it off on my calendar as I would really like to make it out there. Maybe I can get the wife or one of the kids to go.

I'm in also @ToyosandHam

What do we think about shipping trucks one way either out/back?
If we could get a deal from a carrier I’d be good with this. This was on my mind, for hours, on the long, long, long way out there.

If we could get a deal from a carrier I’d be good with this. This was on my mind, for hours, on the long, long, long way out there.
I'd be interested in discussing this more as well.

the drive there is fine. Its the 2 day marathon back that kills me. There's a shipper on mud from the denver area that could work up a quote for multiple trucks.

I am in as well. Rebekah may join again. As for shipping trucks out there, I'm open to the idea if the cost isn't to high.

Our options are endless but I think returning to crested butte and completing that trail would be cool. Camping in that area again would be sublime.

-Ashton

I am in as well. Rebekah may join again. As for shipping trucks out there, I'm open to the idea if the cost isn't to high.

Our options are endless but I think returning to crested butte and completing that trail would be cool. Camping in that area again would be sublime.

-Ashton
That campsite we had outside Crested Butte was badass

78A6E0AA-A5E4-466B-A75E-FF6F1C47012F.jpeg

Interested in joining. We've been going out to Ouray every summer as a family for a while, but the girls are getting older and aren't into camping/4wheeling as much these days. Would jump in on shipping if that's an option.
I've got you noted but apologies I'm still learning the names. Can you share your first name please?

We have created a GroupMe group for this event as well. PM me if you need an invite. Thank you.

Hey everyone. Been a while since there's been an update but there's been discussions on groupme and at some of the meetups. For those that have missed out this is a "suggested" agenda that is slowly being put together.

1) Going to Montrose to pick up wives/children/etc.
2) Trails are not set. Just options.
3) Actually nothing is set just making suggestions

Here we go:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BHM to Montrose - 1463 Miles - 23 hours

Day 1 (Thursday) BHM to Elk City OK- 872 miles - 12 hours

Day 2 Elk City OK to Montrose CO - 623 miles - 10.5 hours

Day 3 (Saturday) Montrose CO to Moab UT - 172 miles - <3 hours

Hell's Revenge | Difficult | 14 miles - 3-4 hours

Monitor and Merrimack | Moderate to Difficult | 12 miles - 2.5 hours

Gemini Bridge Trail | Easy | 14 miles - 2.5 hours (48 miles from Moab)

Poison Spider Mesa | Difficult | 36 miles - 4 hours (36 miles from Moab)

Day 5 (Monday) Moab UT to Ouray CO - 150 miles - 3 hours

Day 10 (Saturday) Ouray to Elk City OK - 659 miles - 11 hours

Day 11 Elk City to BHM - 836 miles - 12 hours

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, nothing concrete. Just a general idea. I'm in need of hotel/cabin arrangements so I'll probably book rooms based roughly on the schedule above if no one says anything to counter it. Thank you.

Hey everyone. Been a while since there's been an update but there's been discussions on groupme and at some of the meetups. For those that have missed out this is a "suggested" agenda that is slowly being put together.

1) Going to Montrose to pick up wives/children/etc.
2) Trails are not set. Just options.
3) Actually nothing is set just making suggestions

Here we go:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BHM to Montrose - 1463 Miles - 23 hours

Day 1 (Thursday) BHM to Elk City OK- 872 miles - 12 hours

Day 2 Elk City OK to Montrose CO - 623 miles - 10.5 hours

Day 3 (Saturday) Montrose CO to Moab UT - 172 miles - <3 hours

Hell's Revenge | Difficult | 14 miles - 3-4 hours

Monitor and Merrimack | Moderate to Difficult | 12 miles - 2.5 hours

Gemini Bridge Trail | Easy | 14 miles - 2.5 hours (48 miles from Moab)

Poison Spider Mesa | Difficult | 36 miles - 4 hours (36 miles from Moab)

Day 5 (Monday) Moab UT to Ouray CO - 150 miles - 3 hours

Day 10 (Saturday) Ouray to Elk City OK - 659 miles - 11 hours

Day 11 Elk City to BHM - 836 miles - 12 hours

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, nothing concrete. Just a general idea. I'm in need of hotel/cabin arrangements so I'll probably book rooms based roughly on the schedule above if no one says anything to counter it. Thank you.
I do like this general itinerary and i think this is worth pursuing. Gunning towards Utah/Moab first then working our way back through CO is a good plan.

I do think it's worth noting that it is OK if we want keep things fluid while we are out there given the nature & potential size of our group. Realistically i don't think we'd accomplish more than 1 or 2 trails a day at any given location:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom