2022 4Runner Suspension Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasLandCruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
pin.it
Waiting on delivery of 4Runner and as usual tinkering with the suspension. OME, Dobson, Bilstrim seem to be the main ones, for me. Driving is light off-road, and not putting bumpes and rack on it. Just simple slight lift, level.

Also wheels, is the 17” wheel best for overall ride for highway/ light off-road or is it better to drop down to small with little bit more sidewall?

The smallest diameter wheel that clears your brakes is the best bet. That's probably a 17", but you should research and make sure.

Be sure to plan out how you think you'll use the 4runner and what weight you'll add. I jumped the gun and ordered the suspension for my 21 4runner orp right after taking delivery and thought the same thing you said "light off roading". I bought the basic Dobinsons 2.5" front 1.5" rear kit, stock load springs. It was great initially, but after adding a few accessories to the engine bay (2nd battery and air compressor), it was enough extra weight to make the 4runner lower in the front and nose dive under light braking. Fast forward to now, i've realized that I like to use the 4runner for longer trips and have extra gear and will be redoing my suspension. Total pain and money wasted.

So...plan it out, then call CruiserOutfitters or Exit Off Road and let them know how you'll use it and they'll set you up with the best spring shock combos for your weight needs and the look you want.

Be sure to plan out how you think you'll use the 4runner and what weight you'll add. I jumped the gun and ordered the suspension for my 21 4runner orp right after taking delivery and thought the same thing you said "light off roading". I bought the basic Dobinsons 2.5" front 1.5" rear kit, stock load springs. It was great initially, but after adding a few accessories to the engine bay (2nd battery and air compressor), it was enough extra weight to make the 4runner lower in the front and nose dive under light braking. Fast forward to now, i've realized that I like to use the 4runner for longer trips and have extra gear and will be redoing my suspension. Total pain and money wasted.

So...plan it out, then call CruiserOutfitters or Exit Off Road and let them know how you'll use it and they'll set you up with the best spring shock combos for your weight needs and the look you want.
Good stuff, fair statement on planning out. Just replaced my OME suspension from CruiserOutfitters on my FJ62 the OME lift was tired and that was expensive but CruiserOutfitters was awesome, we had to do some nip and tuck. My hope is to keep my serious stuff in the LC and weekend stuff on the 4Runner. So medium springs and 31-32”?

Ironman 4x4 with the performance coils front/rear work great. Also a solid 255/80r17 to fit the stock 17s will gain ground clearance and keep the tire fairly light.

Ironman 4x4 with the performance coils front/rear work great. Also a solid 255/80r17 to fit the stock 17s will gain ground clearance and keep the tire fairly light.
Roger that. Didn’t think about going to 255/80 but makes sense. Appreciate feedback

I just went through quite a few variations of lift combinations with my 2022. First off, I bought an Ironman Stage 1 kit. This sucked. The front was supposed to be 2.5 to 3 inches of lift. It gave 4 inches and only had about 1.5" of extension available before topping out, which it would do constantly with a fair amount of noise. The shocks were under dampened and the vehicle would porpoise excessively after a dip in the road. That all came off. I went with Bilstein 5100s in the front with OME medium coils, OME medium coils in the rear with a set of Skyjacker Nitros that I had lurking under a shelf in the garage, they had the right mounts and the right compressed/extended dimensions and they ride absolutely perfectly on this rig. The dimensions of the Bilstein shocks that they list for the rear of this machine are too short on the extended side to allow full articulation. Be very careful with that, ALWAYS measure, don't believe it will fit until you verify. I just returned from a three-day trip on the backroads of Death Valley and I was grinning from ear to ear with the comfort and control the rig has.

I just went through quite a few variations of lift combinations with my 2022. First off, I bought an Ironman Stage 1 kit. This sucked. The front was supposed to be 2.5 to 3 inches of lift. It gave 4 inches and only had about 1.5" of extension available before topping out, which it would do constantly with a fair amount of noise. The shocks were under dampened and the vehicle would porpoise excessively after a dip in the road. That all came off. I went with Bilstein 5100s in the front with OME medium coils, OME medium coils in the rear with a set of Skyjacker Nitros that I had lurking under a shelf in the garage, they had the right mounts and the right compressed/extended dimensions and they ride absolutely perfectly on this rig. The dimensions of the Bilstein shocks that they list for the rear of this machine are too short on the extended side to allow full articulation. Be very careful with that, ALWAYS measure, don't believe it will fit until you verify. I just returned from a three-day trip on the backroads of Death Valley and I was grinning from ear to ear with the comfort and control the rig has.
Thank you for the feedback. I’ve had the 4R few about 2 months now getting used to this slug. First order I think is ditch these 4 ply tires and get a 6 ply. I’m partial to the TK02 BFG but going to just get a better sidewall then suspension. I’m daily driver with occasional Colorado trip. I just got my FJ62 back from the engine shop so I’ve got 1 known money pit and a potential one coming. I’ve used the 4R on desert pipeline with rough terrain and I’ll say they really designed this well light off-road but pavement still to be desired

I went with the E load rated KO2 and I love them. Tried and true, tough as nails. I have owned several Land Cruisers, loved every one of them. This is the fourth 4Runner in the family, second one to be my daily driver. I have spent a lot less cash on the 4Runners than I did on the Cruisers. They are crazy reliable.

I went with the E load rated KO2 and I love them. Tried and true, tough as nails. I have owned several Land Cruisers, loved every one of them. This is the fourth 4Runner in the family, second one to be my daily driver. I have spent a lot less cash on the 4Runners than I did on the Cruisers. They are crazy reliable
I just finished with OME and TKO2 and think I’m spoiled. May just be done with this and mirror the 4R. Keep it simple

BFA927E7-1F77-4F29-A95B-29E3EA2A75E8.jpeg

Cut the extra length off those U bolts before they snag a rock and snap off. And get that thing dirty!
They’ve been trimmed since this picture, when I installed the suspension still needed to do caster before I trimmed. I buried in mud as well. I needed to take it down to metal and restore but isn’t for a museum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom