💥 2021 Sounder of Swine 💥 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To avoid any more confusion the Pig Party guys have picked a date 6/25 to 6/27 to run South Dakota and this is not that.

I am starting this thread so we stop mucking up the official Pig Party thread talking about our trip the following weekend.

So with that out of the way we will be going to South Dakota 7/2 to 7/5 and run a similar route, @Redgrrr has said “finding camping will definitely be difficult” so plan on remote camping if you plan on joining us.

We plan on hooking up with @fj55-100 on 7/1 somewhere along the way to South Dakota and setup a meeting spot in South Dakota, we have plenty of time to work out details but this what we have now.

@cruiserjunktion & @TachedOutOffRoad will also be joining this trip and if any of the local’s @Redgrrr or @bigfj62 don’t already have commitments and would like to join us we would love to follow you around for a day or two. This is “NOT” a Pig Party and none of us care what you drive, we are a group of friends that want to camp and drive around South Dakota finding cool trails and everyone is welcome to join us.

abkh0lxi93e41.png

If we can extend from 6/25-27 we will.

@Redgrrr or @bigfj62 do either one of you guys have paper or GPS maps of the must see areas of South Dakota?
This group will travel 100+ miles a day and remote camp without services, knowing that we will be there 4th of July weekend we are willing to go further off grid to get away from the camp trailer areas.
Thank you!

Just parking this here so I can find it again later.

This is the map, it shows the 50" and over trails.

SD-Map2.jpg

Some good campground info here.

I had a little time this morning between calls so I dug up some stuff on South Dakota that we can talk about later.

Camp ground,

Cabins & Campsites — Wild Bills Campground & Cabins - http://www.wildbillscamp.com/camping

Might be worth taking a few minutes to poke around and see if there is something of interest to you here if you are coming to the July trip. Search Results for “South Dakota” – Legends of America - https://www.legendsofamerica.com/?s=South+Dakota#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=South%20Dakota&gsc.page=1

Found this town that sound like a cool place to check out Rochford, South Dakota – Friendliest Ghost Town in the Black Hills – Legends of America - https://www.legendsofamerica.com/rochford-south-dakota/

More stuff to search,

Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave, Custer State Park, Spearfish Canyon, Needles Highway, Harney Peak, Deadwoood, Hill City, Custer, Devils Tower, Pactola Lake, Deerfield lake, Sheridan lake.

@Redgrrr or @bigfj62 do either one of you guys have paper or GPS maps of the must see areas of South Dakota?
This group will travel 100+ miles a day and remote camp without services, knowing that we will be there 4th of July weekend we are willing to go further off grid to get away from the camp trailer areas.
Thank you!

if you guys don’t mind remote camping there won’t be an issue with camping. Just have to be in official campgrounds to have fires in a pit, official campgrounds will be packed in that time frame.

There are some exceptions to the campfire rule out in the grasslands east of the black hills and on the Wyoming side of the black hills.

I usually take a bunch of time off work when you guys are coming as June 26 in my birthday and not much work gets done around the 4th so I’ll most likely be able to join this group as well. Not sure about Mike and Dan that have the time allotted from work for the June dates.

@J Mack rochford is one of my favorite corners of the hills and planned on showing you all the area.

The Moonshine Gulch Saloon in Rochford is my favorite spot to grab a beer in the hills. It’s a blast from the past and only takes cash!

it’s near Castle Creek campground which I’m hoping we can all camp at. Which is at the base of Castle peak which was an old fire tower look out location. Pics from a few weeks ago and last summer. It about 6400 feet and one of the tallest you can drive to in the hills. Other campgrounds in that area are Ditch Creek and Black Fox. These sites are more remote and don’t get near the traffic.

3BAFAEBB-0BD0-429F-82E0-B538FD3AFF13.jpeg

0EC59111-F8E8-4E9F-857D-AE0D9E77278A.jpeg

42406CCD-C825-44CD-A94A-673BD4B4B888.jpeg

E487ED88-95D1-4507-8080-1205203ECCCA.jpeg

The Moonshine Gulch Saloon in Rochford is my favorite spot to grab a beer in the hills. It’s a blast from the past and only takes cash!
Thanks so much for the info, I'm already having fun and we are still four months out.

Most the stuff you guys find online can be very touristy that time of year. If your looking for more of the grid we can do that or hit up more if the sights where we will be around tourists. Mount Rushmore is a must......other then that I would trust us to lead the way.
Bear Country is pretty cool if you have never seen a bear up close. Long lines during peak season also pretty pricey. Probably equivalent to a tank of fuel in the old pig.

Having been there, I'd agree. Our kids were very young, 9 and 14, at the time so it was a must see for them. Another spot I'm anxious to visit again is the Crazy Horse Memorial, a "Mt. Rushmore" still under construction. Easy enough to catch while coming to or from other activities in the Black Hills. We'll catch it one way or another while in the area...doesn't necessarily need to be part of a group activity.

Still early and nothing is set in stone other than we will have fun…

A couple of us are talking about driving to South Dakota through Yellowstone so that will put us at the top of the state at the beginning of the trip. I was trying to get a rough idea how many miles a loop around some of the areas already talked about would be in miles traveled. Just putting some random pin drops on the map it looks like just under 400 mile loop would let a group of guy’s see quite a bit of South Dakota and be manageable driving distances per day.

What do you guys think?
map.jpg

If you guys are gonna come thru that way I’d suggest going all the way to Wall on I-90 and going into the park from the north end just past wall. And then you’d get to see the famous Wall drug 😂

AA8D5757-CB56-4362-87F5-3F4B60F0A1C2.jpeg

If you guys are gonna come thru that way I’d suggest going all the way to Wall on I-90 and going into the park from the north end just past wall. And then you’d get to see the famous Wall drug 😂

View attachment 2604074
Well worth a stop. Quite a history and, when we were there, free ice water was a big deal.

Still early and nothing is set in stone other than we will have fun…
We are packing up and plan to burn rubber in the morning, time went by way too fast and real work got in the way of any type of real planning or preparation so we will wing it.
More to come....

I thought about making this. I have a few bugs I still need to work out and I have family coming to town this weekend. It was probably a bit foolish to try to make the other pig party with only 12 hours of testing. Good thing some of the damage had revealed itself so quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom