2021 HE vs 2016 Differences - Is there already a thread? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm no Search guru but I did try to find a single thread that identified all of the differences between a 2016 (which I used to have) and a 2021 HE (which I now have). I realize this includes the differences that were introduced in 2018 and later. I think I have identified most of them but not sure. So here is what I have:
  • Auto-raise upper lift gate (can disable)
  • Soft close tailgate
  • 3rd row optional (mine came with the 3rd row and I kept the RH jump seat in while removing the LH for my ARB drawer)
  • No Rear Entertain monitors. Which is good as I had removed those on my 2016
  • Auto-folding side view mirrors
  • Different headrests. This surprised me as I hadn't heard of this. But the Blue Ridge Overland headrest velcro wraps I had on my 2016 almost didn't fit the headrests on the 2021 HE.
  • The upholstery threading is different on my seats. Is the leather also different? It seems that way but that may simply be because I had 5 years and over 100K on my 2016 leather!
  • The 2021 HE came with a rooftop cargo basket which I let the dealer keep but I guess that is standard on the HE versions
  • And then there is the cosmetic stuff like the wheels (which were the same size on my 2016), the black side mirrors the "supposedly" darker chrome (yes it is darker but I hardly notice. And of course the retro insignia on the rear pillars.
Is that it? I'm particularly interested if there are any functional differences I have missed. Something that I may not be using because it didn't exist on my 2016.

Thanks!

(Sorry if this has all been addressed elsewhere.)

OK, now for a really stupid question. I noticed on my 2021 that there are "wires" in the rear "quarter" windows. I don't remember them being there on my 2016. They may have been. And to be honest, I covered most of the driver side rear window with National Park stickers. But I'm just wondering if that is something different.

(By the way, I didn't start this thread to find out what is "better" about what I already purchased. Just what is different in case I hadn't noticed. Most - all - wise people would have made this a carefully considered decision weighing the benefits of various feature differences or style differences against the price. I didn't. I just knew that the 2016 had and would continue to be a great functional fit for my needs, I saw the 2021 on the showroom floor here in Bend and decided I would reset the clock/mileage to 0 by getting a new one. Simple as that.)

I hope to do a simple "build" thread to brief discuss the mods I had done in case anyone is interested. I completed one more mod today (installed the lift gate light from Brendan in AUS) and the only thing left is the Gobi ladder but that is a few weeks off. I won't be able to show a lot of pics of how the mods were done as most were done by Kendall Toyota here in Bend. But I can show what final the final results look like and discuss why I did things and what I think at this point. But I need to take some pics first.
It could either be:
a) defroster
b) diversity antenna

Do you have a link to that tailgate light?

As for the soft open tailgate, I like it. The automatic lift gate is a mixed bag. Sometimes handy. Sometimes too slow.

Just in case you didn't know -- at the rear of the vehicle, you can double click on the open button and the liftgate works in manual mode. I do it all the time, mostly because my wife thinks I'm stupid when the powered mode works just fine with one press of the button (gotta take my pleasures where I can get 'em).

It could either be:
a) defroster
b) diversity antenna

Do you have a link to that tailgate light?

I don’t remember the thread where that tailgate light was introduced. But it was mentioned in the recent build thread by xxx (Builds - Wyoming HE Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/wyoming-he-build.1253028/). He has a couple good pictures of it. @Brendan makes them. He is out of AUS. They aren’t cheap. But for me they are incredibly useful. I reached out to him through a PM.

Just in case you didn't know -- at the rear of the vehicle, you can double click on the open button and the liftgate works in manual mode. I do it all the time, mostly because my wife thinks I'm stupid when the powered mode works just fine with one press of the button (gotta take my pleasures where I can get 'em).

Thanks, I didn’t know that. I of course knew to go to the button on the dashboard to disable it but that double click is far more convenient unless you want it off all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom