2020 Tire Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

any one tried the Toyo open country R/T?View attachment 2477295

I am just getting ready to replace these tires on my 80. It could just be bad luck but I have had 4 flat tires on this set of Toyo RT's. My previous set of tires were nitto trail grapplers. I got more miles out of the nitto's and I only ever had one flat tire on the set of nitto's. I feel like both of these tires were horrible for driving in the snow and ice. That being said the Toyo RTs on my truck are almost worn out 315/75/16's, the Toyos only measure to 33.25" on the vehicle. The Nitto trail grapplers were also 315/75/16's but they measured 34.3" on the truck when they were worn out. The Nittos also weighed 10+ pounds more than the Toyos. It seems like all of Nittos tires are heavier than their competitors. I wonder why?

I will be moving to Farmington New Mexico in January and I am trying to decide what tire to get next. I probably need more of an all terrain this time and something that will be good in the snow and ice.... Decisions decisions

The Nittos also weighed 10+ pounds more than the Toyos. It seems like all of Nittos tires are heavier than their competitors. I wonder why?

Comparing similar construction tires, Nitto Ridge Grapplers to Toyo RTs (AT/MT hybrids), the weight difference is 1-3lbs per corner ceteris paribus (35x12.5; 37x12.5)... on a 3+ ton truck. lol

Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 7.44.35 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 7.43.36 AM.png

I know it's probably not the popular opinion here, but for your use case a set of Michelin Defenders sound perfect. Mostly light off-roading, mainly on road driving. Not bad in snow either and great in the rain. I used to use KO2s only for my vehicles, but then I got a set of Michelin Defenders on my 4Runner, so I did the same for my 80. Mine are LT265/75/R16, they have been able to do everything I have wanted them to.

Are they going to be great in the mud? No, but I usually avoid the stuff anyway. As good as a KO2 off-road? No, but it's definitely close.
But they are so damn quiet on the road. That's the main selling point for me. And they have E-rated versions too which is nice.

I am curious why you decided to purchase the Load range "E" tire in the defender, I almost did not purchase my K02's 285/75-16 becauue they were only available in load range "E" and was concerned about the harsh ride.........
Scott

I am curious why you decided to purchase the Load range "E" tire in the defender, I almost did not purchase my K02's 285/75-16 becauue they were only available in load range "E" and was concerned about the harsh ride.........
Scott
The ride is slightly firmer from the stock SL-rated Michelin. Really not a huge difference though. The 10-plies in the tread are nice to have off-road, especially when aired down; just a much lower chance of getting a puncture in my experience. Also, the greater load carrying capability is nice to have for camping and overlanding.
I will admit though that with other brands, their E-rated tires don't ride very nicely on lighter trucks. But with Michelins, I feel like the difference is almost negligible.

Personally, I would like to use at least a C-rated tire for off-road. Also, your tire pressure can't stay the same in an E-rated tire as the stock SL-rated tire, so this needs to be raised accordingly to get the ride-quality and handling right.

I just ordered a set of Falken wildpeak AT3W
For my 2010 4Runner in LT255/80/17 flavour.
From my research it appears to be a quality tire. It’s for winter/trail use mostly, time to put the 4Runner through its paces!
If I like them then the cruiser is going to get a set in LT255/85/16 also!

I'm interested in hearing about your icy road experiences with these. I've had KO2's (unsiped) since I've had my 80 and they're unimpressive on snow and ice (not surprising). Don't really want two sets of tires for it, so I'm looking at the AT3W's too.

Be aware falken allegedly changed the compound recently, and tests indicate a drop in wet/winter performance. For Joe Bacal’s quotes:

Falken hasn’t appeared to say anything so I guess we have to decide whether or not to trust Joe, hah. Would depend on production date too. I’m sure it’s still a great tire, but food for thought

I'm interested in hearing about your icy road experiences with these. I've had KO2's (unsiped) since I've had my 80 and they're unimpressive on snow and ice (not surprising). Don't really want two sets of tires for it, so I'm looking at the AT3W's too.

I will have a report in about 2-3 months. Snow here this week but it will just melt this time of year. But come end November till end March we will see everything from snowstorms to ice storms to +15C one day and the next -15c😳🤪

Be aware falken allegedly changed the compound recently, and tests indicate a drop in wet/winter performance. For Joe Bacal’s quotes:

Falken hasn’t appeared to say anything so I guess we have to decide whether or not to trust Joe, hah. Would depend on production date too. I’m sure it’s still a great tire, but food for thought

it still has the mountain snowflake on the sidewall so it has to meet those requirements in order to have it.
But s***, that will suck if it sucks😳
If they are no good for snow, they will go on the Cruiser for summer action instead!

Exactly, so I’m sure they still perform, but great winter performance is one of its strong features and I’m curious (given Joe’s comments) how much they really changed. I’m still waiting to hear from Falken. I have a hard time believing he’d make up a story, but..

That said, do they have to repeat the test at times to hold the rating, or is the flake simply carried over, since it’s not an actual model change?

Comparing similar construction tires, Nitto Ridge Grapplers to Toyo RTs (AT/MT hybrids), the weight difference is 1-3lbs per corner ceteris paribus (35x12.5; 37x12.5)... on a 3+ ton truck. lol

View attachment 2478380View attachment 2478381
I am not buying new 17" wheels, I need 16" tires for my 16" wheels.

Nitto ridge grappler 315/75/16: 73 lbs
Toyo rt open country 315/75/16: 67 lbs

I am not sure what ceteris paribus means, but even 2 extra pounds can create a lot of difference in regards to wheel HP and braking forces. It's called centrifugal force.

For example using the above listed tires I am considering for purchase we can compare the forces generated between the two tires with a difference of 6 lbs. Using an online calculator I got these results for pou da of force generated at 60mph.

Nitto: 117,516 lbs
Toyo: 107,857 lbs

That's a difference of 9,659 pounds of force.

I do not know what that really equates to in real life. It could be negligible or perhaps create enough distance to feel in the seat. Overall Nittos seem heavier than their competitors and my last set of them seemed indestructible.

I am not buying new 17" wheels, I need 16" tires for my 16" wheels.

Nitto ridge grappler 315/75/16: 73 lbs
Toyo rt open country 315/75/16: 67 lbs

I am not sure what ceteris paribus means, but even 2 extra pounds can create a lot of difference in regards to wheel HP and braking forces. It's called centrifugal force.

For example using the above listed tires I am considering for purchase we can compare the forces generated between the two tires with a difference of 6 lbs. Using an online calculator I got these results for pou da of force generated at 60mph.

Nitto: 117,516 lbs
Toyo: 107,857 lbs

That's a difference of 9,659 pounds of force.

I do not know what that really equates to in real life. It could be negligible or perhaps create enough distance to feel in the seat. Overall Nittos seem heavier than their competitors and my last set of them seemed indestructible.

12276116-76E9-4D7F-AE0C-E5A5469EE734.jpeg

Another vote for cooper st maxx. I went through a set on my 95, 40k in 5 years and they were still half tread and reasonably quiet. Now I have them on my lx470 in 37's, 93 80 in 35's and my wife's 04 4runner in 33's. All of them balance with little weight and run as smooth/quiet as at's.

I have 7k miles on a set of cooper stt pros on my 95. They are definitely wearing faster and are getting much louder with age, but are holding up well and they work well in mud, snow and rocks. Still like these better than km2 or mtr's. I will likely sell them in the next 5k miles or so and try out toyo mt's.

Getting snow at sea level so went for a Sunday drive to give the Toyos a mild test. Not stacking up yet at all, but wettish, packed on-road, so similar to average daily winter driving. Drove around on the beach (rocky) and climbed a couple rocky/grassy pitches with slush on top. Braked hard & took off hard on a bridge where it was more packed & freezing. They feel solid and sure footed. Given the size & clearance they should do well as it stacks up, and I think slush piled along the sides & median will be fine.

Now that I’ve had them for a bit, I do notice they make a light noise for me (more so when it’s wet) over 60-65, but we have no freeways in SE AK and top speed limit around is 55. They are quieter than the Duratracs, though.. haha. Enough that my need for a DC front shaft became more apparent.

View attachment 2476346
View attachment 2476345

And one from yesterday.

View attachment 2476349
Today was another good test. Snow turned to ice storm overnight and roads are trash today; rig was an ice cube. Still not regretting my choice 👍

D0086D1C-A367-4261-98B7-CD8EBDAA8653.jpeg

I have had the lt255/80/17 Wildpeak on my 2010 4Runner for 500 miles so far. All I can say is wow! Super quiet for what they are and the truck handles 100% better in many ways vs the p275/55/20 Coopers(not ST Maxx) I had on there.
the nice thing is the wheel tire combo will fit the Cruiser come the summer😉

No snow action yet but great in the rain.

23B60C53-4987-47D7-B8F7-4D7ADF97B011.jpeg

BF5B50D5-0E12-47F3-AE3B-A0269B5E3C14.jpeg

So I have a report on the Wildpeaks on my 2010 4Runner Ltd.

I have been running them for 5000 miles. I have driven on gravel, pavement, powdered snow, slushy roads.

They have performed beyond my expectations so far! In the dry they handle very well, shockingly smooth and quiet. Confident on the snow and slush.

Rain? Best tire I have ever driven in the rain!

I was running 275/55/20’s, Coopers. Going to the 255/80/17 was a vast improvement.
No more tracking cracks, steering wheel is crazy light compared to the 275’s.

Quiet, did I say they were quiet? Hell yes!

This dude has it pretty well nailed when it comes to ultra high performance sports car tires imho so really cool to see him continue to invest time and energy producing legit content for truck tires discussing wet/dry handling, braking performance etc.

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom