2020 Heritage - ADD Running Boards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, my 2020 Heritage that I ordered will be at the dealership on October 16....after sitting at port for almost a month.

I love the 3rd row seat delete and the cool box delete. But I want running boards mainly for wifey.

Dealer is telling me there is no part number and unsure if previous part numbers will fit.

Does anyone happen to know of any options?

Since nothing else changed I see no issue with previous years running boards not working. Not many parts will be listed for such a limited truck.

Reactions: HGB
Since nothing else changed I see no issue with previous years running boards not working. Not many parts will be listed for such a limited truck.

Take a look under the truck and see if the holes for running boards are drilled or not. If so, it will be easy. As stated on here, you can put something like Slee sliders on it for about the same price and a much better product.

I bet you can find people that will give you their factory running boards.

I've given away the ones from former land cruisers, and the best deal (for me) was when I traded the like new ones from our 4Runner limited for a four pack of good beer.

I'd bet @Eric Sarjeant could have a look at one of the HEs sitting around to see if the welded nuts are there under the rocker panels. IIRC there are 3 or 4 pairs on each side. If those are already there, adding take-offs from one of the many people adding sliders to theirs would be easy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they are there, as the rest of the main body structure should be the same. The door skins on a HE will be different without needing the holes for the rub strips.. but the main body should be the same.

Or like others said, you could run sliders. Personally if I weren't offroading mine and worried about rocker damage I'd just run factory running boards. Better grip and no corrosion issues, lighter, cheaper, no drilling in the frame (depending on model).

I’ll check tomorrow. I’d be happy to give you a set of factory running boards.

Okay, my 2020 Heritage that I ordered will be at the dealership on October 16....after sitting at port for almost a month.

I love the 3rd row seat delete and the cool box delete. But I want running boards mainly for wifey.

Dealer is telling me there is no part number and unsure if previous part numbers will fit.

Does anyone happen to know of any options?
If you’re not married to the factory steps, I’d suggest ARB Side Steps (without the rails). I had them on my Tacoma and they’re extremely stout. Not quite a slider but much stronger than factory steps.

If you’re not married to the factory steps, I’d suggest ARB Side Steps (without the rails). I had them on my Tacoma and they’re extremely stout. Not quite a slider but much stronger than factory steps.

I would highly recommend the Slee sliders. They are far more stout than the ARB. They are functional as a step for our kids/wifes and equally as functional as a slider.

You can definitely add factory runningboards to the heritage.
Non-Heritage
FBA3E7A7-83EF-418A-93CE-D2D412C1FE49.jpeg

Heritage:
935A2446-2F11-4D0E-AC78-482620EEDCA8.jpeg

Those pictures make the Heritage look like a dealer add-on. Remove running boards. Put bolts back in place. Swap out 4 rims. Leave OEM rim in place for spare. Order Chinese knockoff grill and paint black. (I am joking on grille . . . just saying . . . the parts number for it doesn't work). Send headlights out to be blacked out. . . . sell cool box and third row seats on eBay. . . .order Yakima rack . . . spray paint rims gold . . . jk

Those pictures make the Heritage look like a dealer add-on. Remove running boards. Put bolts back in place. Swap out 4 rims. Leave OEM rim in place for spare. Order Chinese knockoff grill and paint black. (I am joking on grille . . . just saying . . . the parts number for it doesn't work). Send headlights out to be blacked out. . . . sell cool box and third row seats on eBay. . . .order Yakima rack . . . spray paint rims gold . . . jk
Actually pretty good observations. BUT it's not.... LOL

I would note for the record that the build you are doing for me also will have an OEM rim for the spare. Those BBS rims ain't cheap!

~$3000+ in rims on your build! I guess in the scheme of things, that's chump change on a ~$100K build.

~$3000+ in rims on your build! I guess in the scheme of things, that's chump change on a ~$100K build.

They weren't that much, and my build wasn't that much. I would let Eric address the prices, but the build came in substantially less than $100k, heck it was less than my wife's stock LX was 3 years ago, and had every single thing I wanted.

Remove running boards. Put bolts back in place.

Well, the bolts help increase torsional stiffness of the body...obviously. :D

You don't want stock running boards. Tell her it's an extra glute workout on the way up, and a calf exercise on the way down.

Or buy step sliders... rock sliders... anything but the factory ones. Where's that one meme image? "How to correctly use the factory running boards. Step 1: remove N bolts, remove running boards. Step 2: throw in the trash.

You don't want stock running boards. Tell her it's an extra glute workout on the way up, and a calf exercise on the way down.

Or buy step sliders... rock sliders... anything but the factory ones. Where's that one meme image? "How to correctly use the factory running boards. Step 1: remove N bolts, remove running boards. Step 2: throw in the trash.

Its funny. My first Toyota truck was a 1987 4Runner that I got in 1992. The first thing I did when I got home was remove the running boards. My current truck is a 2016 LC. Still removing running boards. I guess I am not growing up or something but I still hate the factory ones on trucks.

Stock running boards are tiny, discrete and functional, if you're not expecting to bash up the truck. They tuck better and are smaller than most sliders, however clearly not functional as such.

I needed to re-add them for a bit, once the Lift/uca's/dd and tires were done, so that getting in and out was acceptable, and it was still a hop for my tiny wife and helpful for me, and I'm tall. By lifting and tires, you're adding several inches, that is enough, with out proper sliders or oem boards, to wreck a seat bolster in quick fashion.

Running boards are the way to go in the short term, grab a set of take off's, keep your eyes peeled for group buys or deals on sliders.

Not everyone runs their stuff, running boards may suffice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom