2020 FJ60/62 BAT Auctions - analytical (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took a look at the BAT auction history just for 2020 so far and there have been 7 auctions that ended with a winning bid vs those that didn't reach a reserve. Of the 7 the highest ended at $39,750 for an 88 FJ62 and the lowest was $16,888 for a 1990 FJ62. The average winning price was $22,684. BAT has become a great resource for seeing what people value in a FJ60/62 and is always a good place to go to reference winning auctions.

I reached out to BAT this morning to see if I could get their FJ60/62 aucton results in either spreadsheet form or JSON format as I'd like to monkey around a bit and see if I can see how the values are changing over time etc. Plus I think their results might be a good basis for those looking to setup values with their insurer.

Last edited:
Interesting inquiry, keep us updated. Does BAT keep past sales on their website? I’d like to see that 16k rig.

They do keep past sales. You can look up auction results in general or if it’s a common model with enough sales they have a histogram plot with dots showing sold or bid to and you can click on each one to see the actual auction. It’s a great database.

BAT responded to me pretty quickly stating:

"Hello Seth,

Thank you for reaching out to us with this request. Unfortunately, we aren't able to share this level of data or provide auction results in a spreadsheet or JSON format.

We wish you luck in your research, and thanks again for being a fan!"

I have figured out another way to pull the data and it gives me an excuse to practice and refresh my python programming.

They've done it for you.

Have you seen the interactive scatter plot if you just search FJ60/FJ62?

1581023284106.png

Link:

They've done it for you.

View attachment 2203357

Link:

Yes I've seen it but it only gives me a scatter plot and none of the raw data unless I manually highlight each and every dot or guess at a trend-line. But I sleuthed around on the site and found the data that actually builds the scatter plot and can build my own from there.

If I sell my truck I'm gonna submit to BAT with those prices with a reserve of my purchase cost...

Just figured out why BAT "cant" provide the data I requested. Guessing they are not a publicly traded company so if there were to provide auction history data it would be very easy for some one to deduce their financials. Just for reference they make 5% of the winning bid price on every auction payable by the bidder up to $5000 (so a $100,000 bid auction the bidder has to pay BAT $5000).

just did a scan of the closest to ending 10 or 15 auctions and came up with selling totals over 1.1 million. Going to guess they pull in $50,000 to $150,000 a week in auction fees. Thats a pretty impressive business model.

Last edited:
They've done it for you.

View attachment 2203357

Link:

Reserve not met at $55k....whutTF?? Wow.

Future BAT prospectives:

They're typically looking for cherry, stock vehicles or immaculate resto-mods. Few cruisers on this forum (Mud) would be accepted.
It's an auction and it's over in a few days. Final bid is binding. You could get burned.

I'd rather sell on Craigslist

I’m not planning to sell on there any time soon I’m just interested in the sales data right now. Though I did buy an old Saab on there for a steal a few years ago.

You do get to approve the reserve, although I'm told they negotiate it Downs much as they can, which I understand from their perspective. But if you agree to the reserve it would be hard to justify feeling like you got burned. I use BAT to show my wife some of the sales of fj60s. See honey, it's worth it!
And they'll accept less than pristine examples, but typically at no reserve. And then could get burned. I enjoy the site, but doubt I'll ever buy one off there as the prices tend to be inflated a bit, in my opinion.

We sold a Rotus 7 (Lotus 7 replica) on BaT in 2014.

Overall a good experience, didn't bring quite the money we'd hoped but fair enough but sold with no reserve.

Future BAT prospectives:

They're typically looking for cherry, stock vehicles or immaculate resto-mods. Few cruisers on this forum (Mud) would be accepted.
It's an auction and it's over in a few days. Final bid is binding. You could get burned.

I'd rather sell on Craigslist

They seem to be willing to accept lower conditions on some vehicles. The FJ28 that was just on there was a great example. There is some amount of buyers not following through as well. I have seen several relistings of vehicles that were sold and the buyer failed to purchase.

They seem to be willing to accept lower conditions on some vehicles. The FJ28 that was just on there was a great example. There is some amount of buyers not following through as well. I have seen several relistings of vehicles that were sold and the buyer failed to purchase.

that F28 was a sad case.

Was able to spend a little more time on the spreadsheet I created. For 2019 auctions, the average mileage was 171,426 miles and average price that the auctions finished at was $20,055 (this includes auctions where the reserve was not met though).

36 of the auctions were FJ60s, 19 were FJ62s, there was 1 HJ60, and 1 HJ61. 3 auctions listed TMU, all from engine swaps.

36 of the auctions resulted in a sale on BaT's website, 21 ended in Reserve Not Met status. Since it's not known if those 21 auctions resulted in a sale equal to the highest bid, a higher offer, or no sale at all, I'll take them out.

Using only those 36 auctions that resulted in the reserve being met, the average mileage remains about the same at 172,057 miles and the average price becomes $21,571.

So it looks like 2020 is off to a slightly higher average sale price start than 2019, if I have some time this afternoon I'll try and put 2018 together and see if a trend starts to emerge.

interesting 62 on BAT right now that's definitely a driver - 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 shaved drip rails, a repaint, some light customization. I think this is a better representation of where most 60/62 trucks would fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom