Cruise Moab Kokopelli Double-Overnighter Tour (Monday Departure) Team Member Thread (Updated Post #1 for 2023) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Inukshuk

SILVER Star
Threads
****UPDATED FOR 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023****

Hello Kokopelli team members!

Congratulations on selecting this adventure. Cruise Moab 2019 is almost here! This Monday double-overnight Kokopelli Trail run to Cruise Moab departs Monday April 17. We are all in for a grand adventure with a great group! This is a long post, but should cover most stuff.

This thread will serve as our initial meeting place. We will coordinate our times, make cyber-introductions and start the process of getting to know each other. For 3 days we are going to work as a team, look out for each other, break bread, camp and laugh. We'll be doing that over one of the most beautiful and exciting trails in the world!

The Trip:

We will cover around 150-miles with no gas stations, no stores, limited cell service, and little traffic.

Please ensure that you are fueled up and have 5 extra gallons in a safe, leak-proof container stored outside your vehicle. Your closest last fuel is 20 miles East in Fruita, CO. To the west, Thompson Springs is 48 miles. Some of you may have vehicles you know will not need extra fuel for 150 miles of wheeling (even considering you don't get the same mileage as the highway!). We want the extra fuel in case we need to backtrack or have any other reason for extra mileage. Do not assume you will only be driving point-to-point. If you absolutely have no way to carry an extra fuel container outside your vehicle, please discuss with me. Usually we have other vehicles that can help out with roof-rack or pickup truck bed space.

The Plan:

Sunday Night
: (Optional) Many people camp near the trailhead. There are also hotels available nearby to the East in Grand Junction and Fruita, CO, and farther to the West in Green River, UT. Camping nearby Rabbit Valley (Rabbit Valley Motorized Area | BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT) is at the Jouflas Campground (BLM dedicates Jouflas Campground in honor of local ranching family): 39°10'33.6"N 109°01'19.9"W (or 39.175903, -109.022320)

The Jouflas Campground is a first come first served primitive camping area From Exit 2 off I-70, travel south just over a half mile and turn right. If that area happens to be full (that's' doubtful) you can camp in any designated camp area. There is good cell service in that area.

I'm going to check out a slightly different camp area just North of I-70 this year. If you wantto remote camp Sunday (I encourage it) give a call or text Sunday when you are heading towards Rabbit Valley.

Monday Morning: Meet at the Rabbit Valley I-70 Exit North side of I-70. Its less busy and has a pit toilet.

Tech Inspection will run from 8:00 AM till we finish. Tech requirements may be viewed HERE. The sooner we are ready, the sooner we hit the trail. Drivers Meeting 9:00ish and departure as soon as we can! We make sure you are all there before we go. There is cell service in Rabbit Valley so call me (I e-mailed you my number) if you are having any issues.

Monday night's camp will be at Fish Ford near the Colorado River ( 38°55'22.0"N 109°14'50.2"W 38.922763, -109.247287 ). We'll arrive in camp in the late afternoon with plenty of daylight to set our first remote camp and relax for what is always a great evening. This is primitive camping so we will not have a place to dump trash until late on day two. There is a primitive pit toilet.

Tuesday: Wheels up 8:30 AM. We'll travel through the desert, cross Cisco Wash and onto a portion of Dome Plateau. We will make our way through Yellowjacket Canyon and see amazing views and dinosaur prints. Our lunch stop is a great place to hike around and take amazing photos of the La Sal Mountains and some small arches. We'll exit the trail near the famous Dewey Bridge.

Tuesday Top Of the World: Top of the World is an out and back trail. It typically will take a few hours to complete and we are making it optional for you because you’ll already have had one and a half days on the trail. Some may choose an overland-style relaxing evening at camp. On the other hand, I will lead the group up to TOtW no matter how many. TOtW ends at one of the most photogenic spots in the region. The group usually does not get back to camp until after dark. It will be challenging driving, especially after two full days on the trail. You can expect to hit your sliders and bumpers. The ledges have been getting dug out and this trail is harder now than it has been in the past. It's a driveshaft and u-joint eater, so you must stay vigilant. One trip a few year's ago was nicknamed "Brokeopelli Expedition" because of all the damage they had along the way. Remember: this is just the start of your Cruise Moab and you don’t want to break.

Tuesday night's camp: Roberts Bottom. 10 minute drive from Dewey Bridge pit toilets.

Wednesday: Wheels up 8:30 AM for another full day. The day is beautiful scenery and moderate wheeling. Hopefully you already know we are not doing the infamous Rose Garden Hill. RGH has gotten harder every year and its not really overlanding to run it. W will drive a few miles along the Colorado River and up the spectacular Onion Creek Road to re-join the Kokopelli trail and then traverse the northern flank of the La Sal Mountains and arrive into Moab via Sand Flats Road. Either way, we will arrive to Moab in time to go to the Cruise Moab Headquarters and set up camp or check into your hotel. In the even we arrive late for any reason, you can always check-in at registration Thursday AM.

General Information:

Vehicle Inspection
: This is a TLCA Sanctioned Event. All vehicles must pass the TLCA tech inspection at Rabbit Valley. Get there early to get teched-in and meet your team. Make sure your vehicle is really in tip top shape. We are traveling in a remote area well away from civilization and there are very few bail-out areas. Even if you bail to pavement you are still FAR from “civilization”. More information HERE

Communications: Everyone must have a well-functioning FRS/GMRS radio. FRS/GMRS is a Cruise Moab requirement and vitally important for these long distance overnight runs. Having a HAM radio is even better. If you are not licensed, you can still listen - bring a borrowed or buy an inexpensive unit (learn basic operation and how to charge/replace batteries). I will have both (KØFZJ). We will talk a lot along the route. Frequency TBD.

Fuel: Please ensure that you are fueled up and have 5 extra gallons in a safe, leak-proof container stored outside your vehicle. Your closest last fuel is 20 miles East in Fruita, CO. To the west, Thompson Springs is 48 miles. Some of you may have vehicles you know will not need extra fuel for 150 miles of wheeling (even considering you don't get the same mileage as the highway!). We want the extra fuel in case we need to backtrack or have any other reason for extra mileage. Do not assume you will only be driving point-to-point. If you absolutely have no way to carry an extra fuel container outside your vehicle, please discuss with me. Usually we have other vehicles that can help out with roof-rack or pickup truck bed space.

Food: You must be self-sufficient.

Water: 1 gallon per person per day for drinking is the minimum rule of the desert. Bring more if you plan on doing dishes, showering etc. There is no drinking water available on the trail. The mighty Colorado runs muddy and we are only close a few times. Have more than one container so if one leaks you don't lose all your water.

Toilets: For number 1: Urinating in a disturbed or stable area (i.e. trail, rock, dry drainage) is preferred. Don't pee on plants and flowers. For number 2: BLM mandates that all solid waste be removed. We will have just one portable/packable toilet available (you keep the used bags!), so please bring your own system. Most outdoor stores and online shops have “wag bags.” Any bag works, but that powder removes the smells like magic! You will pack out all solid waste. I like to store trash in a tub on my roof. We will stop at vault toilets where they appear. There is a vault toilet about a 10-minute drive from camp on Wednesday night, and we will stop at those in the afternoon on Wednesday.

Pets: Please feel free to bring your friendly and well behaved pet. Dogs that could possibly bite are better left at home. We are a long way from medical facilities and a dog-bite could be hard to deal with. Both camp locations are primitive and there are cattle, sheep, fox, coyote, skunks, turkeys, snakes, scorpions, and other desert critters in the area. There may be sheep dogs with the herds and they are not friendly. Do not let your dog tangle with them. Do not approach them. They are working. The sheep may also be birthing during this time, so keep your dog away from the sheep. Be sure to bring a leash and clean up after your dog.

Trailers: Off-road trailers are welcome if it can handle the trail and you can handle it. The terrain is tough in several spots. Please let me know if you're thinking of bringing a trailer so we can discuss it. Plan B is to drop your trailer in Moab before the trip.

Firewood: We recommend encourage that you bring at least one bundle of fire wood. More is better. Nights this time of year can be very cold and sitting around a warm campfire talking Cruisers and Trucks is nice!

Firearms: Abide by applicable laws. We are traveling in Colorado and Utah. Keep in mind this is a TLCA Sanctioned 4x4 event. There will be no recreational shooting at any time during this run. Be responsible and keep your weapons safely secured.

Alcohol, Marijuana, Drugs: Consuming alcohol, any illegal drugs, and any drugs or other products that impair your abilities is strictly prohibited before and while on the trail, as is being under the influence in any way while on the trail. This applies to drivers and passengers. Camp after the day is done is the place to responsibly and lawfully enjoy an adult beverage if you choose. Violation of this rule on trail will see you immediately removed from the group.

Behavior: Intoxicated, rude, offensive, disrespectful, or otherwise inappropriate behavior, or a violation of any applicable rules or laws, as determined in the in the sole and subjective discretion of the Trail Leader, is grounds for immediate removal from the group. There may be no warnings or second chances. If you don't like this rule, we'll gladly switch or refund you now.

Health Issues: If you have any health issues that may require emergency assistance, please let your Trail Leader know privately or share it with our group during our Driver's Meeting. Bring extras of any needed medication. By registering for this trip, you are acknowledging and agreeing that you are in suitable physical condition for this rigorous trip and that you will be far from any medical services, even by helicopter.

Colorado and Utah both have “Search and Rescue Cards” which can help to reduce or eliminate SAR charges. Google them. I have both.

Medical/First Aid: I have some first aid training and I carry an Outer Limit Supply first aid kit. I encourage everyone to carry a first aid kit and be trained howto use it. If you feel comfortable about it, please let us know if you have medical training so we know our available resources should a situation arise. We are in remote areas and medical needs can become very serious very quickly and backcountry response times are long. Your Trail leader will be carrying a satellite device in case of emergencies but they do not always work. SAFETY FIRST!

Your Vehicle: We are traveling in a remote area. Please ensure that your vehicle is in top running condition. If you cannot pass Tech Inspection on Tuesday morning, you cannot participate. Please review the vehicle minimum requirements and forms at Cruise Moab - Vehicle Requirements

Liability Waivers: You are required to sign a liability waiver for yourself and any minors. This will be presented to you at the trailhead. If you want to see a copy in advance please e-mail Cruise Moab Registration.

Trash: You will pack out what you pack in. This includes all human waste and all trash, all food scraps. Paper is ok in the campfire. We always leave camp and the trail better than we found it. Don’t hesitate to announce on the radio that you’re stopping to pick up a bottle or beer can. Let's do our part to make sure this trail stays beautiful and open for the next generation.

Camp: Respect others in camp. Have fun, but don’t disturb the folks who climb turn in early. If you like to sleep early, don't park near the main campfire.

Have Fun: This expedition is a once in a lifetime trip for some folks. We will stop for photos at all the best places. Bring your camera and smile.

Please post up and make an introduction. Feel free to ask questions, tell a little about yourself and your vehicle, or just say hello. This is a trip of a lifetime!

Some reading on our Route: Kokopelli's Trail | BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT

Last edited:
Ok I'll wade in. Mark and Peggy here and can't wait to get out there. I was introduced to this particular form of insanity last year about this time, on a run through the Kokopelli. I've always loved camping, but this was something completely different. So of course I went right out and bought an 80 and have spent the last few months doing maintenance and upgrades, so this will be the first real run I've had in it. And this time my wife will be joining me, her first time to southern Utah.

I've always been a sports car nut, if it's low and fast I've probably had it, been into racing as long as I can remember. We both just turned 50 so maybe that's our clue to turn to the slow lane and try something new. I've done a lot of prep, but still new to this stuff and willing to take all the suggestions anyone has.

Most everything I've got is tried and true like the OME suspension, ARB front and Kaymar rear bumpers, Warn winch, Uniden CB, and so on. But we'll be bringing one brand new and totally untested thing, our new roof top tent. It's a complete custom job, beautifully made and I can't wait to try it out. Of course I'll have a backup ground tent, but don't expect to use that.

We run our own software company and as anyone will tell you, running your own business is hugely rewarding and incredibly stressful. The last several months have been the most difficult I can remember, with 80+ hour work weeks, long travel stints, and lots of stress. I'm writing this in a hotel in Los Angeles. I'll fly home Thursday, spend Friday loading out, and we leave oh-dark-thirty Saturday morning for a two-day run to Grand Junction. This vacation has been a long time coming, and I can not wait!

I am looking forward to the run as well. I have never done a trail this long before, but I am really looking forward to getting on it!

One question that I have is you list the fuel requirement. I have a 42 gallon tank and no swing outs on my rear bumper to mount a fuel canister. Do you still want me to strap some fuel to the roof, or are you okay with an oversized tank?

Thanks for all of the work that you are putting into this Daniel, it will be a great trip because of it.

I ran the Kokopelli last year with a friend in a 4Runner. We started with a full stock tank and had no problems for a full 5-day trip. I've got a 38 gallon tank and I plan on just having it full at the start.

Thanks for the informative post Daniel, appreciate the effort you have put in.

Adil here, Mikey will be joining me for CM 2019. We are out of the greater Chicago area and this is our first time camping and driving in Moab. Had a small glimpse of it last year but I didn't get to spend a lot of time in Moab. We will be at Jouflas campground Sunday if anyone wants to join us.

I own an HDJ81, please excuse the diesel fumes. We will bring chips and salsa to the potluck and hope to meet everyone.

@8cam what kind of racing have you done? I'm interested to see how your rear Kaymar bumper compares to the Dobinson one I have. @gungriffin I think 42 gallons is ample with lots of margin in my opinion.

Anyone doing top of the world? We might end up being conservative and not going since we don't have a spare drive shaft.

I have a feeling we have a great group!

Edit: for introduction and picture!

Last edited:
Hello everyone, my name is Cory. I'm very much looking forward to this trip and meeting all of you. I'm saying with a friend in Glenwood Springs Sunday night, so I will be meeting everyone at the camp grounds in the morning.

I live in Parker CO and enjoy camping and off roading throughout the summer months. Last year was my first time attending Cruise Moab and I was hooked. Most of my camping friends are Jeepers so I came out solo as I will be again this year. I enjoy meeting new people that share the same passion for the outdoors as I do.

I own a 97 FZJ80 and a 70 FJ40. I'll be driving my 80 for this trip. It's mostly setup for camping and getting off the beaten path, but I do push it every now and then and it always surprises me of just how capable it is. Since I'm driving alone, I'll have extra seats and space available in case everyone needs it. I also packed an abundance of recovery gear and power tools. Hopefully we won't need them, but if anyone needs to use them don't hesitate to ask. I enjoy photography so if time allows, I'll hopefully get plenty of scenery and action shots to share with the group.

I have not planned out my food prep yet. I'll probably do a pasta salad for the potluck. That's all I got for now.

@8cam what kind of racing have you done? I'm interested to see how your rear Kaymar bumper compares to the Dobinson one I have.

The Kaymar is a beast, not the best for rock crawling, but built like a tank. It's been on the truck for 20 years and other than a couple minor scrapes is perfect. I've run with the PCA, lots of autocrossing with SCCA, and a few years ago some friends and I did several races with the 24 Hours of Lemons...most fun at the track I've ever had. Also had my absolute coldest camping experience at a Lemons race. 22 degrees, freezing rain, and we had to get the car ready the next morning after breaking a camshaft.

Looking forward to a somewhat slower pace next week! I'll have some tools with me, not sure about the potluck yet but we'll figure something out.

@8cam very cool, PCA is a good organization to run with. 24 Hours of Lemons is hilariously fun, I haven't done it but i've seen and its amazing. We track s***ty civics. (That's the Acura Real Time Racing Type R at Mid Ohio in my avatar).

@Dilspec our Lemons car was a s***ty CRX! We bought it for $100 with 500k miles on it and the engine on the ground. A bunch of elbow grease later and we had a lightweight car with 95 hp and Acura brakes that got blown away on the straights, but could out-corner and out-brake just about everything. Best finish was 6th out of 85 cars. After several races one of the guys bought out the rest of us and turned it into a real track car. I think he's still running it.

Mark and Peggy - Welcome - its a great trail to test gear. As lomng as teh truck is runnig well, teh rest is just for comfort! Good call on the backup tent - that's the best way to likely not need a backup tent. Nothing too hard except the Rose Garden Hill descent. If you are a good listener, your spotters can get you down. Top of the World is challenging too, and also optoinal. By that time we get there Tuesday you'll know whether you want to run it. But, you have been on Koko so you know some of what I mean.

@gungriffin - 42 gallon tank = plenty!!

Hi Adil @Dilspec - First timers - yay. One of the things I love about Cruise Moab is sharing what we have out here. We'll have time to discuss Top of The World and RG hill before we get there. The trip is all about having fun and I'd like to see you go home on the same driveshaft you ride in on. Last year we did RG Hill with no damage and that is how it will be this year as well. Almost everyone did TOW. We split innto two groups because we had some hard chargers in the group who wanted to do the whole loop. I'll run us up and back the easier side. It still has some challenge. MOST important, our dog is named Mikey - let h econfusion begin!

Hi Cory @cmadness welcome back - we'll get you more local LC friends by the time this is up!

Keep it coming!

I'm not missing TOW or RG, much to my wife's chagrin. I want that picture at TOW, and I want to tackle RG too. My last trip out there we didn't get a chance to do either, and still managed to fill 5 days with awesomeness. Camping on the edge of Dome Plateau will always be one of my most incredible memories. This time I'll have my own rig and will be doing everything (and listening very carefully).

Just sent out an e-mail update! I likely will not chek here once I'm on the road Sunday AM. Text is best (# in e-mail) and e-mail second best.

It was nice meeting everyone and running with you guys. The link Dan posted to share photos expired. Is anyone still up for a Google dropbox?

Looking forward to this one as well. It will be good to see you guys again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom