2018 Shakedown Cruise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There was a lot of talk at last night’s meeting about potential long-distance trips in 2018. I was thinking it would be nice to have some sort of extremely easy local trip early in the year. Something to allow everyone to make sure their stuff is in shape for the later big trips. It would give them -

1) A goal date to finish their projects

2) A chance to field test their rigs, loading and procedures with plenty of time to make fixes before it counts.

Think of it as a pre-season game for the off roading season.

My first thought was Peters Mill Run. I know it’s basically a long, unchallenging, dirt road. But if done right as the snow was melting it could prove interesting. In addition it’s just $5 for a day pass, close to home (no need to plan for camping) and would give everyone a chance to put their setups through the basics.

One trip on the trail seems to take about 1.5 hours. Maybe there could be a morning run and return afternoon run each day. That would give everyone a chance to fit at least one of the four runs into their weekend schedule.

That’s about as far as my thinking takes me.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. BUT
Sorry to say Peters Mill is not Free you have to buy a day pass. Unless you go on a trail cleanup day.

With the right enthusiasm and guidance this could get some legs. My only warning is that when we had Red Cloud in our backyard, we never mustered more than a handful of trucks on a local wheel day, on shorter type notice. We can post 15 to Coalmine 3.5 hrs away, but have little luck rallying for an easy winter snow run. Maybe this is the year for it. I support and will be in.

I’d be down for that flagpole knob place or whatever it’s called off 33

If we ask nice, BK might let us come to his cabin, shoot/blow up some stuff, and then do some trails.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

I think it was an idea more than a planned event. Sounds like it might merit discussion at the next club meeting.

Count me in for a local (ish) run. Look forward to chatting about it at the next meeting.

Alright all,

I have an open weekend coming up on Feb 17-18 and I'm thinking of doing day trip to either Big Levels, off the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA, or the Canaan Loop near Davis WV.

There's not a significant difference in travel time to either but I'm leaning toward Big Levels 'cause I’m betting the Canaan Loop is going to be cold and icy. I'm new to wheeling and don’t want to slip off the side of the mountain..., though I do want to go to Canaan when the weather improves.

I haven’t been to either trail system and it would be awesome to have experienced folks along.

Here’s some info for Big Levels posited by a local Mud member (maybe club member?), CORE has an older trip report on the web and there plenty of info and videos for the Canaan Loop.

Big Levels Trail in the VA Blue Ridge

Alright all,

I have an open weekend coming up on Feb 17-18 and I'm thinking of doing day trip to either Big Levels, off the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA, or the Canaan Loop near Davis WV.

There's not a significant difference in travel time to either but I'm leaning toward Big Levels 'cause I’m betting the Canaan Loop is going to be cold and icy. I'm new to wheeling and don’t want to slip off the side of the mountain..., though I do want to go to Canaan when the weather improves.

I haven’t been to either trail system and it would be awesome to have experienced folks along.

Here’s some info for Big Levels posited by a local Mud member (maybe club member?), CORE has an older trip report on the web and there plenty of info and videos for the Canaan Loop.

Big Levels Trail in the VA Blue Ridge

Unless things have changed over the last couple of years, Big Levels is probably closed to vehicles for the winter. It's typically gated from the end of hunting season until mid-April.

It is a fun run. Definitely worth doing once the gates are open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom