2018 LX 500 - 41/2Years Old...46K miles. Seems like good time for new Battery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While I have had no issues with other OEM battery I generally think of replacing about every four years. I prefer to not wait until a failure or other issue leave me stranded.

First is that as "reasonable" lifer for the OEM battery? 46K miles including annual round trip (4,000 total out and back) to CA.

Also, what brand replacement batteries? Optima?...worth the extra? or others that may last. My last three vehicles were Land Cruisers...with the last two being kept for over 200K miles. Really enjoyed them and both were very good shape at 200K miles. What other brands a worth considering?

Thanks...TomR

While I have had no issues with other OEM battery I generally think of replacing about every four years. I prefer to not wait until a failure or other issue leave me stranded.

First is that as "reasonable" lifer for the OEM battery? 46K miles including annual round trip (4,000 total out and back) to CA.

Also, what brand replacement batteries? Optima?...worth the extra? or others that may last. My last three vehicles were Land Cruisers...with the last two being kept for over 200K miles. Really enjoyed them and both were very good shape at 200K miles. What other brands a worth considering?

Thanks...TomR
The panasonic battery that came with your vehicle is about the best that can be put into a car, and people often go 6-7 years before needing a replacement. It also isn't available in the states, unfortunately.

Personally I'd run that one until it is showing signs of giving up. Then whatever works best.. toyota batteries are pretty good and available at any dealer, which may or may not be convenient for you. I personally like Interstate batteries, but have also had good luck with duralast gold batteries from autozone, and those are available basically everywhere. (the only thing I will buy at autozone. Otherwise I can't stand their business model)

Just make sure you actually get a group 27 battery. Others will bolt in but don't have the same capacity.

4yrs/40k is too soon for any good battery.
These are not your TV remote batteries to require preventive replacement. Make sure you keep it charged and it lasts many more year. My batteries OEM or aftermarket lasted around 10years with proper charging, and 7 years with a couple deep discharges. Batteries were Toyota (Panasonic), Volvo (Varta EU), Optima red and yellow, Costco /Interstate.
If you have doubts about your battery get it tested at dealer or local parts store for free.

Thanks...TomR
I would go ahead and change out the stock battery. I've had good luck with Interstate.

On my last '13 LC with the stock battery, I went just under 4 years but had many more miles on it (I think 120k) or so. Changed to an Interstate that I ran for the next 5 years and 200k+ miles.

just changed mine in the '18 LX after 46K miles. it went dead as a doorknob.

I just replaced my battery with an Interstate from Costco.. 4 years is a good time to start thinking about a new battery..

I tend to buy Toyota or Lexus branded batteries as I have found that the quality control of other batteries is inconsistent. While I have never had a toyota battery die due to an internal failure, i have had other popular batteries fail after a short amount of time. Sure, they have a warranty but that doesn’t help when I am in the bush.

2013 LC here, OEM lasted ~5 years, replaced with Toyota True Start around 4 years ago, still going strong. This may go without saying, but it is a good idea to check fluid in the battery every year and topping off with distilled water if it is low, this will help with longevity.

2013 LC here, OEM lasted ~5 years, replaced with Toyota True Start around 4 years ago, still going strong. This may go without saying, but it is a good idea to check fluid in the battery every year and topping off with distilled water if it is low, this will help with longevity.
My guess is very few people realize a maintenance free battery requires maintenance. They look at a battery as a sealed plastic box. However, those flat plastic covers are no different than the old screw on caps on the batteries of yesteryear. Pry them off and fill it up. Scott Kilmer has a great video on battery maintenance that shows how.

I would also expect that lack of maintenance is an issue with many of the batteries dying around the 3 year point.

Since battery usually goes out at the worst time for me, i replace every 4 year….usually with OEM battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom