2018 LC Water / Moisture in Driver's headlight assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently noticed that my headlight assembly has a good deal of water inside of it. At 80k miles and after purchasing a 100k Platinum warranty when buying new, I thought no big deal. Well, apparently it's not covered under that warranty. Awesome.

Are there any ways to fix this without replacing the entire assembly? It seems to be around 1200 to get a new assembly and i'd really rather not spend that if it isn't necessary. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Are the covers on the back fully seated? I think the LED lamps are light on covers, but the turn signal may still be halogen from my memory.

Any accidents in the history?

Are the covers on the back fully seated? I think the LED lamps are light on covers, but the turn signal may still be halogen from my memory.

Any accidents in the history?
No accidents. Only thought i had was maybe a rock hit it on the highway, but I can't see any visible cracks.

I need to dig in the back and see what could possibly be open. I thought it was all fully sealed LED, but could be wrong. Thanks for the quick thoughts.

(I did search and didn't find anything on this topic unfortunately)

From what I understand, they are supposed to be fully sealed. It doesn't hurt to try and fix it, since it's already broken. But you'll probably just need to replace it.

You can find used assemblies on ebay for around $400, but make sure you get one that doesn't have broken brackets, lens, or is called out as being for "parts". Look at the pictures very carefully for signs of abuse.
2018 land cruiser headlight assembly for sale | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=2018+land+cruiser+headlight+assembly&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=2018+land+cruiser+200+headlight&_osacat=0

Might be best to first check your nearest pull-a-part junkyards to see if any have a 2016+ cruiser with intact headlight assemblies (although this would be very unlikely).

These are stupid expensive OEM - my driver side has a small bit of condensation randomly. No accidents or visible damage.

I need to check the boots on the back of the housing however - thanks for the reminder @bloc

Thanks for the eBay thoughts. I can mine that for a while and see what comes up.
I think i'm going to open it up via the halogen if possible and try and dry it out for now.

My 2017 has dust specs inside both housings. Only visible when illuminated but still have no idea what that is about…

I recently noticed that my headlight assembly has a good deal of water inside of it. At 80k miles and after purchasing a 100k Platinum warranty when buying new, I thought no big deal. Well, apparently it's not covered under that warranty. Awesome.

Are there any ways to fix this without replacing the entire assembly? It seems to be around 1200 to get a new assembly and i'd really rather not spend that if it isn't necessary. Anyone else ever have this issue?
That’s some fine print BS IMO. I too bought the platinum warranty with the thought it’d be comprehensive.

Hopefully you’ll have luck without forking over $1200 for one headlight.

Completely agree! It's not like they aren't covering a lamp. Headlight assemblies are complex sealed units with "lifetime" LEDs and no replaceable parts these days. Super frustrating.

I am under full CPO warranty until until October of this year. Not once has it been able to be used for anything. Including a cracking radiator known to be defective. It really will only apply in outright failure, and some kind of battle.

I no longer waste money on any warranties at all. I try to buy products with good warranties included sure, and that are of quality to begin with, but try to never pay for them.

Only exception is the extension i made to my top spec intel 16” MBP. That was a $7000 machine that they will eventually have to replace with an AS chip, as apple is not too stingy with their stuff. Generally cheap though ($200) on something that easily will be thousands to fix AND covers accidental damage. If it were not for the later, I would even pass on that.

I only bought mine for all the cameras and electrical systems. I figured you buy a Land Cruiser because of its reliability. Really hope to not have to use on anything mechanical!

I only bought mine for all the cameras and electrical systems. I figured you buy a Land Cruiser because of its reliability. Really hope to not have to use on anything mechanical!

I dont blame you at all, if they were easily honored its totally worth it, even if only for peace of mind.

If anything electronics goes, that should be a really easy claim and a nightmare fix potentially for them to deal with. Lol

My 14 year old LX had zero electrical or electronics issues though. Hoping this remains the case.

Exactly my reasoning as well when I bought mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom