2018 200 Series Purchase Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys - I've been lurking for months to learn as much as I can about the 200 series before making a purchase, and I think I've finally found the one! 1 owner, SoCal truck with no accidents on the Carfax - 2018 in magnetic gray/terra. I'm located in the Bay Area and this one just popped up at Carmax (not ideal, I know), and appears to be an incredible deal - 54k with 92k miles.

My question is about the service history. On the autocheck report provided by Carmax, only 6 service records are shown. When I plug it into the Toyota system, though, 23 service records show up, and it looks like there have been about 13 oil changes in total. I think in an ideal world, there should be about 20, but can't tell if I'm just looking for issues at this point.

The service history and Carfax reports are attached (deleted the VIN). I'm unable to get a PPI done in time, but figure I'll get one done here locally after I purchase, and can always return the car using Carmax's 30 day policy.

Any input is great appreciated on this one! Thanks so much in advance and looking forward to becoming a real community member here soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds really sketch. I suggest not buying it and sending me the info privately instead 🤣
I know right! It drove great during the 24 hour test drive, and everything appeared to be in great shape as well.

Sounds like quite the steal. The oil change interval is 10,000 miles per the manual, so the previous owner & dealer probably followed that. Thus only 13 oil changes in total sounds about right (9 per the normal interval, plus probably a few extra at shorter intervals at the very beginning).

Sounds like quite the steal. The oil change interval is 10,000 miles per the manual, so the previous owner & dealer probably followed that. Thus only 13 oil changes in total sounds about right (9 per the normal interval, plus probably a few extra at shorter intervals at the very beginning).
Thank you! I thought I'd read somewhere that it was 5k, but very much appreciate the education here (and am happy to have been wrong).

Thank you! I thought I'd read somewhere that it was 5k, but very much appreciate the education here (and am happy to have been wrong).

For reference, here's a screenshot showing the 10,000 interval. But note that using 0w-20 is hotly debated on this forum... Which I'm sure you'll find out as you delve in further here 😆

Screenshot_20230510_170011_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

If you drove it and all seems ok, what’s the concern?

@wrx06 I came here to say this 👆. I have 63K miles on mine and I only have seven oil changes to date. I am going to do 5K mile OCI's going forward starting at 65K miles, but anyone that goes by the book would only have 10-12 at that mileage. Congrats on the LC, you will love it and welcome to the forum.

Nice to see prices finally going down. If you don't buy it...post the contact info so one of us can. Looks like a great deal to me.

I bought a 2013 lx570 with 120k miles from CarMax back in October 2021.

The auto check didn't have all service records but when i took it to Lexus for service a ton of more service records popped up.

I also got the 3 years up to 150k miles carmax warranty for 2000$. I've already gotten about 4k in warranty work done.

I take mine to Lexus of Pleasanton.

Yeah i think that the big chain used car dealers are facing financial troubles, including CarMax. So prices are coming down fast.

I've had oil changed every 5k miles...sometimes at the dealer, sometimes with my guy. Printout may not be an accurate indication of oil change frequency.

I'm all but convinced that 0w20 + 10k oil change interval is what leads to the dreaded Tundra Tick. Changing the oil at that interval seems to lead to build up and lack of proper oil flow to the driver-side timing chain tensioner.

I replaced my oil every 10k but after dealing with the Tundra tick and paying Toyota to fix it, my intervals are now 5k. We'll see how it goes...

Last edited:
For reference, here's a screenshot showing the 10,000 interval. But note that using 0w-20 is hotly debated on this forum... Which I'm sure you'll find out as you delve in further here 😆

View attachment 3319664
Where did you get that info?

2008 maintenance booklet states 5,000 interval for normal operating conditions, wondering when did the change happen?

Screenshot below:

1683835858968.png

Where did you get that info?

2008 maintenance booklet states 5,000 interval for normal operating conditions, wondering when did the change happen?

Screenshot below:

View attachment 3320335

From the Warranty & Maintenance Guide, I think the same one you're looking at. Go past the "maintenance log" section, to the "explanation of maintenance items" section.

I was looking at the guide for model year 2019.

I believe the difference is the Genuine Toyota 0W-20 designator in the newer (post 2016) manual.
The oil they are referring to is synthetic, vs the previous mineral oil.
The synthetic stuff holds up for longer.

Debating whether to start going 7.5k intervals rather than 5k on my 2009 w/125k (always run synthetic). Will stay at 5k until I get an oil workup done, peace of mind and all that.

Personally, I wouldn't extend mileage between oil changes on these motors, despite what the oil manufacturer or even Toyota recommends. I'm all but convinced that the 0w20 10k mile service interval is what led to the Tundra Tick on mine as well as others. I think that oil builds up over time and fouls the tensioner, which is why some people have luck with Seafoam. I had my motor torn apart and the tensioner replaced because the cold start tick, while harmless, drove me crazy. Since then, I'm running synthetic 5w30 and changing the oil every 5k like clockwork.

5k oil changes are about once a year for me, so that's what I do. I have bought 2 cars from Carmax, and if you're going to a used car dealer, that's honestly the best one you can hope to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom