2017 TLC 7X Series Rumors - Middle East (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.armored-cars.com
Trying to order some 2017 TLC 79 for work and getting the typical delays from the suppliers. Was told we will only get the 2017 Model the 2nd week of Feb. They also said there would be an engine change but not 100% confirmed for the diesel. Has anyone heard if they will change out the 4.2 HZ for the 4.5 VD like the one used in the RHD market?

Has anyone heard if they will change out the 4.2 HZ for the 4.5 VD like the one used in the RHD market?

MEA region is LHD? I have never seen a VDJ in LHD, only the 1GR and the 1HZ. I'd be surprised if Toyota went to the effort to make a LHD VDJ.

Correct MENA is LHD market.

About the 4.5L option is why I was asking, I know in the RHD markets the 7X its been standard for a few yrs now. I was told they want to stop the 4.2L and thats why after all these yrs they are finally going to put the 4.5L Diesel in the 7X LHD.

Normally we have to install either the DTS or Safari turbo/inner cooler kits on the 4.2L and its a real PITA, so I hope the 4.5L turbo is really going to happen. But for the last few hrs I have been looking and looking for any info if it is real or just rumors. And will they screw us over like in the G9 and GL 200 series where it doesnt come with the intercooler, or watch them increase the price by 7-8K USD cause of the engine change.

I've heard of no information like this @xkennx

I doubt they would discontinue the 1HZ just yet due to its necessity in 3rd world markets for the NGO/Government market through TGS.

I'd give a buzz over to TGS and see what they have heard. Since they probably sell the largest number of 1HZ powered 7x series trucks worldwide.

Toyota are already making a low tech version of the V8 diesel ,no turbo etc for the 200 series. Maybe they are about to expand its use to 7* series

Hello,

I would love to see a 1VD-powered LHD 70 Series... 1FZ-FE engine performance with about half the fuel consumption.

Daydreaming aside, it might be possible that the decision has been made to ax the 1HZ, save for select markets where its simplicity is indispensable, whether because of fuel quality or operating conditions.

Current ECUs and their associated injection systems are as reliable as purely mechanical ones. They also have less moving parts. On the other hand, they require mechanics with OBD equipment, among other things.

EDIT: a gasoline/petrol engine just as complex as the 1VD, the 1GR-FE, replaced the 1FZ a while ago in the 70 Series. Owners seem happy with it, and maintenance costs are about the same as 1FZ ones.

Anyway, let us wait and see.

Juan

Last edited:
Toyota are already making a low tech version of the V8 diesel ,no turbo etc for the 200 series. Maybe they are about to expand its use to 7* series
While I wouldn't call them low tech, they are still crd and turbo'd, just no intercooler and detuned to 136kw.
3003-200-STD-2015-G18.jpg

I've heard of no information like this @xkennx

I doubt they would discontinue the 1HZ just yet due to its necessity in 3rd world markets for the NGO/Government market through TGS.

I'd give a buzz over to TGS and see what they have heard. Since they probably sell the largest number of 1HZ powered 7x series trucks worldwide.

I was talking to GCC which is 2 or 3 times the numbers of TGS but they still can not put anything down in writting.

While I wouldn't call them low tech, they are still crd and turbo'd, just no intercooler and detuned to 136kw.

Here in the ME we have both options the non intercooler in the G9 and GL versions and the intercooler in the EXR and GX/GXR. (either one i'd be happy with for what I use it for) We have a new vehicle being released next yr where the donor chassis is a TLC 79. I just have to see if its better to start production now around the 4.2 or wait 4 months for the 4.5 which I am sure I will have to have the R&D redo the engine bay area. The one thing the 4.2 has over the 4.5 is the small area it needs.

c9b002fe1bb0320831a8ae78670fdb6f_L.jpg

2017 Streit Cougar 2 LAV

@xkennx are you able to get the 200 diesel with manual and rear barn doors? The dealer here says no they can't get it.

The Oman dealer (saud bahwan) has them, its called the GL DLX, but note the 4.5 is a non-intercooler engine. There is also no rear a/c and unlike the G9, the GL has no center console and still uses key like the fortuner and is not push button start.

The Oman dealer (saud bahwan) has them, its called the GL DLX, but note the 4.5 is a non-intercooler engine. There is also no rear a/c and unlike the G9, the GL has no center console and still uses key like the fortuner and is not push button start.

:drool:

I like that simplicity! Just the idea of having a real key is a reason enough to get one! I am guessing it may also even come without the KDSS.

I like that simplicity! Just the idea of having a real key is a reason enough to get one! I am guessing it may also even come without the KDSS.

KDSS? damn you don't even get alloy wheels (comes with the 17x7 steelies) its as basic as you can get.

you can see photos of the G DLX I bought
Dropbox - Toyota G DLX

Thanks for sharing. What a great platform to work with!
If you need/want to purchase one just send me an email kenn.walker(at)armored-cars.com and I can put you in contact with our fleet supplier there in Oman.

I'm just hoping that the 7X gets the same 4.5D, I was in Bahrain with the Army there and there was a wrecked 200 GXR with 4.5, we removed and put into a TLC 79 single cab that we cut the roof off and installed a 106mm M40 installed on the back. It feels like you can actually go faster then the shell coming out of the barrel.

If you need/want to purchase one just send me an email kenn.walker(at)armored-cars.com and I can put you in contact with our fleet supplier there in Oman.

I'm just hoping that the 7X gets the same 4.5D, I was in Bahrain with the Army there and there was a wrecked 200 GXR with 4.5, we removed and put into a TLC 79 single cab that we cut the roof off and installed a 106mm M40 installed on the back. It feels like you can actually go faster then the shell coming out of the barrel.

That is freaking sweet! So the VDJ fit in a LHD 79 with no issues? The steering column had no interference? You mated it to the 5 speed already in the 79? What about wiring, how easy/difficult was that?

Man so many people thought it was not doable and you just did the undoable!

That is freaking sweet! So the VDJ fit in a LHD 79 with no issues? The steering column had no interference? You mated it to the 5 speed already in the 79? What about wiring, how easy/difficult was that?

Man so many people thought it was not doable and you just did the undoable!
I was in and out of the country during the install. I should be back there next week and I'll get more info on the swap. I know it wasnt just a drop in solution as it was in the work shop for a few weeks working out the kinks. But will try and get a better write up on what the total scope of work was.

In the US we outsourced the conversion to a company called Specter. They did the swap but keep the 4.5 bolted to an automatic transmission then did some mods to the engine to get 446HP and 833ft-lbs. but it was not a cheap conversion. Almost $65K alone if I remember. Would have been cheaper to remove a TLC200 cabin and just modify a TLC79 to fit.

Photos of the engine bay of that LHD 79 with the VDJ please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom