2017 LC keys and surfing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Sequoia has a key and a separate electronic dongle -- so I just detach the key from the keyring (leave keyring and dongle in car) and then run the elastic key loop in the pocket through the keyhead and I'm good to go.

Any folks out here SUP and/or surf? What do you do with your LC keys when you're in the water?

Mine is a 2009 but it works the sme as your Sequoia. Just take the key out of the dongle.

My Sequoia has a key and a separate electronic dongle -- so I just detach the key from the keyring (leave keyring and dongle in car) and then run the elastic key loop in the pocket through the keyhead and I'm good to go.

Any folks out here SUP and/or surf? What do you do with your LC keys when you're in the water?
I bought a HitchSafe key vault on Amazon for $47. It works great.

I use a realtor's lockbock with an RFID bag or the valet key in the wetsuit. Love stashing a few options in the LC platform... so much more room for activities.

I SUP board often in lakes/ocean. My key and phone go in my Calicase and either hang around my neck or clip it to my board and if the water is rough, I toss it my dry bag that is bungee strapped to my board with a carabiner

I bought a HitchSafe key vault on Amazon for $47. It works great.

So I installed it -- and it should function fine. But it sticks too far out for me to put the hitch cover back on.

Are you able to get your hitch cover back on?

I pop the battery, hide it separate from the key fob and take the physical key to get back in.

So I installed it -- and it should function fine. But it sticks too far out for me to put the hitch cover back on.

Are you able to get your hitch cover back on?

No. It doesn't look as good as with the hitch cover on but I hardly notice it and the benefits are well worth it.

If you put the fob in the hitch safe, do you still have to take the battery out of the fob to avoid having the doors unlock due to fob proximity if someone tried to open the back gate? Parking lot thieves will spy on lots and watch for drivers to hide their keys.

Just a psa: the hitch safe can be overcome using at least two shim methods. Here is a link to the fastest:

I also wonder if it would be prone to a small prybar attack as well Until they put a gate guard on it, the hitchlock key safe is not safe at all for any thief with basic tools and Youtube. Too bad the hitch cover won't fit on top, that would add a good layer of keeping the hitch lock hidden from view.

A gun vault that locks to and hides under your seat may be a better option. Sits down low, and thieves won't get a good view of you hiding it vs conspicuously putting it in your hitch.

I try to take an old rig with me when I whitewater kayak and put the key in a waterproof pouch around my neck. If I lose my boat I still have my key. I've take my 200 series fob that way too, but worry condensation may damage it, so lately I hide the key in a really smart place (pm if interested) and the battery in a second also good hiding place. Metal key stays with me. Thankfully no break-ins yet to test my hiding spots, but I really doubt any thief would find where I hide the key and battery.

Too bad we have to mess around with this stuff. Parking car thieves are real dicks. I always worry when I leave my car for a long hike/boating/biking journey. Best advice is leave nothing of value in the car, and park in busy lots. I have seen countless break ins when I have been out, and the majority I have seen are in the lesser used lots, and lots where users tend to be gone a long time.

I think the Hitchsafe is fine.

Yes, of course, it can be overcome (like any other lock or even the LC's own locks) -- but it adds enough friction that a casual thief won't mess with it.

I do both SUP and SUPsurf (and bike... ). I have the hitch safe and it works fine. No issues with the key being in close proximity and being able to open the car. Even when I hide it in my go to spot in the suspension. My "old school" option was a realtor key box. Just as cheap and can hang it anywhere.

Amazon product ASIN B0002YP1VC

If you put the fob in the hitch safe, do you still have to take the battery out of the fob to avoid having the doors unlock due to fob proximity if someone tried to open the back gate? Parking lot thieves will spy on lots and watch for drivers to hide their keys.

Just a psa: the hitch safe can be overcome using at least two shim methods. Here is a link to the fastest:

I also wonder if it would be prone to a small prybar attack as well Until they put a gate guard on it, the hitchlock key safe is not safe at all for any thief with basic tools and Youtube. Too bad the hitch cover won't fit on top, that would add a good layer of keeping the hitch lock hidden from view.

A gun vault that locks to and hides under your seat may be a better option. Sits down low, and thieves won't get a good view of you hiding it vs conspicuously putting it in your hitch.

I try to take an old rig with me when I whitewater kayak and put the key in a waterproof pouch around my neck. If I lose my boat I still have my key. I've take my 200 series fob that way too, but worry condensation may damage it, so lately I hide the key in a really smart place (pm if interested) and the battery in a second also good hiding place. Metal key stays with me. Thankfully no break-ins yet to test my hiding spots, but I really doubt any thief would find where I hide the key and battery.

Too bad we have to mess around with this stuff. Parking car thieves are real dicks. I always worry when I leave my car for a long hike/boating/biking journey. Best advice is leave nothing of value in the car, and park in busy lots. I have seen countless break ins when I have been out, and the majority I have seen are in the lesser used lots, and lots where users tend to be gone a long time.

You don't have to take the battery out. The truck doesn't "see" the key when it's in the vault.

You don't have to take the battery out. The truck doesn't "see" the key when it's in the vault.
For my ‘13 Lx it does. I do the realtor lock attached to the front tie down point with the fob in a faraday bag.

I made a little pouch from aluminum foil. The LC doesn’t recognize the dongle inside. I hide the little pouch with the dongle inside the car and take the key with me under my wetsuit.
I have done this for years. It works really well and it only takes a minute to make a pouch from aluminum foil.
(There is an old thread regarding this topic btw)

I made a little pouch from aluminum foil. The LC doesn’t recognize the dongle inside. I hide the little pouch with the dongle inside the car and take the key with me under my wetsuit.
I have done this for years. It works really well and it only takes a minute to make a pouch from aluminum foil.
(There is an old thread regarding this topic btw)

IIRC the fob stops working when you lock the door with the physical key until you unlock w the physical key (not sure if this is unlock only, of if it prevents starting the car, my guess is the former). Many thieves have a fob signal booster that unfortunately work too well with Toyotas. I could see how the hitch would be a good faraday, but the signal may be able to be boosted with a simple $20 booster. I stuck my key in my hitch receiver ball mount, slid it into the receiver, and tried the back gate, after a few repeat button pushes, it opened right up... my wife's 4runner had the same result. A sealed box may make a difference.

A lock can be overcome, whether it is a combo or key. The hitchsafe is easy to bypass, and if I saw someone messing around with hitch vs trying to break in a door, I'd likely think nothing of it. Leaving your fob gives a thief an easy way to bypass a cars electronic security and steal your vehicle.

A hitchsafe doesn't increase or decrease break ins. Windows are easy to break. But leaving your FOB on the car is never a good idea. If hitchsafe would add a simple gate pin guard/cover it would be a lot more secure.

If you do use a hitch safe, lock your door with your physical key so the fob won't work (test to verify this works for your car) before locking the fob, and take the physical key on a tether with you.

If I were a thief, a hitchsafe would indicate to me with a quick effort I can steal an entire car vs breaking in a car for any possessions inside.

As convenient as the keyless fobs are, for water sports they suck. I'm just glad I have my old pickup or FJ62 I can take with a regular key for most trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom