Builds 2017 GX 460 (Now 2017 Tundra Build) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep, depending on your current tire size you need to go to a 4.56 or better if you want a chance to use 6th gear on the interstate.
I’m on 275/70r17 (32.4”) tire. I’m planning to run a true 33” or 34” tire in the future. Not sure if I’d need regearing for that.

Just got quoted $3300 for 4.56 or 4.88 gears installed. Seems insane to just be able to run a larger tire haha

If you're going that far, if there's a little left in the bank, you may want to just go ahead and drop in front and rear lockers. It's a lot cheaper if you're ever thinking about lockers and having to open up the diff's a second time.

If you're going that far, if there's a little left in the bank, you may want to just go ahead and drop in front and rear lockers. It's a lot cheaper if you're ever thinking about lockers and having to open up the diff's a second time.
At that price I’ll be sticking with a 32-33” tire and keeping stock gears. $3300 is outrageous

I’m on 275/70r17 (32.4”) tire. I’m planning to run a true 33” or 34” tire in the future. Not sure if I’d need regearing for that.

Just got quoted $3300 for 4.56 or 4.88 gears installed. Seems insane to just be able to run a larger tire haha
Dumb question but is that for the front and rear?

Roof rack came in and all assembled!

44F6F4C0-9939-4C7B-9760-117471FC4055.jpeg

Yes. Nitro gears quoted me for both.

It’s $2380 in parts alone, getting both front and rear installed for another $1K or less is pretty decent actually. I will be moving to 4.56’s and ARB lockers in the next year as I plan to move to 34’s or possibly even 35’s.

For what it’s worth, I run 285/70/17’s on the stock gears and I can still use 6th gear on the highway at 70-75 mph unless there’s a steady heavy head wind or if I am on a sustained incline with a steep grade. Any bigger than that and I would suggest a regear for sure.

It’s $2380 in parts alone, getting both front and rear installed for another $1K or less is pretty decent actually. I will be moving to 4.56’s and ARB lockers in the next year as I plan to move to 34’s or possibly even 35’s.

For what it’s worth, I run 285/70/17’s on the stock gears and I can still use 6th gear on the highway at 70-75 mph unless there’s a steady heavy head wind or if I am on a sustained incline with a steep grade. Any bigger than that and I would suggest a regear for sure.
They must have not added the new carrier in the quote. So I’m guessing over $4k for everything installed.

Sounds like I’ll be sticking with 33s

Plenty of folks running both 285/75/17s and 285/70/17s. “34s” are going to require a body mount chop. 33s may. I’m local to you and should have 34s on around March. I also ran 35s on an 80 series landcruiser with stock gears. People overthink this IMO. Plenty of 5th gen 4Runners running 33s on stock gears and we have way more power than them. 33s will give way less trouble but I guess it’s all about what you want in the end. If you don’t intend to air down and want all seasons go with a p rated P285/70/17 aggressive a/t (lots like the Falken wildpeak) and call it a day.

The rack looks great, an improved Prinsu if you will. What's going up top now?

The rack looks great, an improved Prinsu if you will. What's going up top now?
I needed more room once the Thule box was on. With the factory rails all I can carry is the Thule box. Now I’ll be able to carry two kayaks in the summer. Thule box, recovery boards and anything else my little heart desires in the winter months 🤣

Random thought... what about a 255/80r17? It’s a true 33” and weighs 8-10 lbs less than a 285/70r17. I love the tall skinny look on the older land cruisers but not sure how it would look on the GX.

Wow! It's really coming along nicely!

Plenty of folks running both 285/75/17s and 285/70/17s. “34s” are going to require a body mount chop. 33s may. I’m local to you and should have 34s on around March. I also ran 35s on an 80 series landcruiser with stock gears. People overthink this IMO. Plenty of 5th gen 4Runners running 33s on stock gears and we have way more power than them. 33s will give way less trouble but I guess it’s all about what you want in the end. If you don’t intend to air down and want all seasons go with a p rated P285/70/17 aggressive a/t (lots like the Falken wildpeak) and call it a day.

Plenty of 4Runners never getting into 5th gear with stock gears, guessing most not realizing it. I did a 3400 mile trip at the end of October, Seattle area to NM, Of that 3400 miles I bet I was in 6th for maybe 500 miles, running 285/75/17s.

Plenty of 4Runners never getting into 5th gear with stock gears, guessing most not realizing it. I did a 3400 mile trip at the end of October, Seattle area to NM, Of that 3400 miles I bet I was in 6th for maybe 500 miles, running 285/75/17s.

Thanks for posting. Do you feel the need to regear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom