2017 5th Gen Runner Build G$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Garett, have you used your winch yet. I'm getting a dissent front for my 100, and can't decide on a winch yet. Im looking at the Warn VR 10s and the 9.5 xps. Not sure which way I should go. Your purchase really got me thinking about the VR series. Any thoughts good or bad.

Garett, have you used your winch yet. I'm getting a dissent front for my 100, and can't decide on a winch yet. Im looking at the Warn VR 10s and the 9.5 xps. Not sure which way I should go. Your purchase really got me thinking about the VR series. Any thoughts good or bad.

Haven't had to use it yet. Just rolled up the line under load by winching the Runner up the street. It's clean and compact and the line is great. I can't imagine having to use it all that much so my thinking was it would be fine for what I needed. Time will tell.

Does he even camp

Check out the Gen2 Smittybilts. I just got one for my 4Runner and I am very impressed. I haven't used it yet, but everything was top notch.

Thanks Chad, I'll take a look.

So im just going to interject some common sense into this conversation.......

In the world of winching, "it looks purdy, but i have no real experience". Isn't a big sell to me. Lol
Lets keep in mind, a solo wheeling trip, that winch, maybe a shovel and your boots are the only thing keeping you from being zombie food. Im personally going to (and did) get (or refurbish) a known reliable unit. In the ten years ive run my upright ive had zero issues(other than a bit of corrosion on the 'noid bars THIS year) and made some real a$$hole pulls.
Just sayin' I'm not holding my breath on china saving me when im buried to the frame in a monsoon. :flipoff2:

So im just going to interject some common sense into this conversation.......

In the world of winching, "it looks purdy, but i have no real experience". Isn't a big sell to me. Lol
Lets keep in mind, a solo wheeling trip, that winch, maybe a shovel and your boots are the only thing keeping you from being zombie food. Im personally going to (and did) get (or refurbish) a known reliable unit. In the ten years ive run my upright ive had zero issues(other than a bit of corrosion on the 'noid bars THIS year) and made some real a$$hole pulls.
Just sayin' I'm not holding my breath on china saving me when im buried to the frame in a monsoon. :flipoff2:

Well I didn't go the route of it looks pretty. I did research online and then talked with someone who sells and uses winches. Consensus was that the Warn VR line preformed well. The guy I talked with said for the occasional use it would be more than enough and didn't suggest going into the upper Warn line unless I was going to be using it vigorously like he did while competing off road. Also 4X4 Labs built the bumper I have around a VR series winch when I called and asked about any fitment issues.
Only time and use will tell and I will be the first to let everyone know if fails to meet the standards I have come to expect from Warn.

Im just saying, .youre gonna throw 40-50k at a rig. I just think this is the wrong place to try and save a couple bucks.

It reminds me of people driving MB, BMW, (other high end vehicle) and putting the cheapest POS tire they can find on them.

I wasn't really trying to ruffle anyone. Sometimes that dickhead guy posts on my account :flipoff2:

All good points, I have seen G use his winch but it was to get some one else unstuck that kept getting stuck in front of us going down hill in a couple feet of snow... When he got out of the way G dissappeared.. The main problem was the battery/alternator wasn't keeping up.
I surermiss snow in the mountains!

Im just saying, .youre gonna throw 40-50k at a rig. I just think this is the wrong place to try and save a couple bucks.

It reminds me of people driving MB, BMW, (other high end vehicle) and putting the cheapest POS tire they can find on them.

I wasn't really trying to ruffle anyone. Sometimes that dickhead guy posts on my account :flipoff2:

No ruffled feathers! Just giving the reasons on my choice.

OK after I got everything set up I wasn't happy with the front height. Found I could go 2" higher in the front and opted for the Toytech Boss adjustable coil overs with a heavier rate for the bumper and winch for a true 3" front lift. I gained a true 2" under the skid and overall. So my ass end is now sitting 1" higher as opposed to 3". The Boss coil overs made a huge difference on the speed bumps out front and on the trail today, noticeable for sure. So I think I got this thing set up to my liking finally.

Took it up in the snow and had some issues making progress. I started hopping which is bad so I stopped. I tried lightly feathering with the locker on and the A-trac active and still no good. I then popped on the CRAWL control to see what it could do. That thing kicked in and pushed me up the hill until I was dragging and to where I said I don't want to go any further without some others with me. As soon as I kicked it off I was done. Spinning forward and spinning in reverse. Kicked some snow out from the wheels and didn't get much movement as I tried going back and forth. I didn't feel like grabbing the shovel or trying the winch at this point so I went with the CHAD option and used the throttle! It worked as I spun and dug and spun and dug. So far for the snow the CRAWL seemed to do pretty damn well until you stop and then it couldn't even get going. So if was breaking trail and had someone behind I say go until it doesn't.

Today took it up some rutted and slick sections locally to settle in the suspension we swapped in last night. Again got to a place that the locker and A-trac couldn't quite handle so I went with the CRAWL again before Chad throttle. The CRAWL was louder than sh!t this time as it really worked on the slick stuff, it was pretty mellow on the snow run. It pushed forward with little problems and was quite impressive. Also tucked the rear into the wheel well pretty deep without rubbing anywhere, will just have to be careful if I chain up though.

This new technology to get me through some stuff that my 80 would have walked through. I knew I would be giving up some capability and I saw it on these two runs. I'm sure I will get a better feel of the Runner and make it more capable with time and I haven't had any regrets on the 80 sale and upgrades to the Runner. Maybe I'm just getting older and prefer the new the comforts :flipoff2:

Some pics on the slick stuff today, again pics make it look a paved road but it's a fun little section.

Boss1.jpg

Boss2.jpg

Boss3.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any way to put a selectable locker up front or are there too many electronics?

Is there any way to put a selectable locker up front or are there too many electronics?
Sure you can! Just put a more capable locked truck in front and select the driver. :flipoff2:

Sure you can! Just put a more capable locked truck in front and select the driver. :flipoff2:

LOL, well ya that works too.

Hoping ARB has an option as I am already all setup with wiring and the compressor. Will look at that down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom