2016 tire selection, yep another Tire Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So our 2016 is ready for new tires.
Went down to where I buy most of my tires thinking I would get a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S and the guy told they don't match the "V" speed rating. He was a little surprised but told me he needs to match that and the pickens are slim.

He gave me a list knowing I would do some research.
Of his options some he said where not readily available

O.E. Tire was Dunlop Grandtek AT23
Hankook Dynapro AP2 RA33
Bridgestone Dueller H/P Sport
Bridgestone Dueller A/T 693 III
Michelin Latitude Tour HP
Toyo Open Country H/T II

Any thoughts?
This cruiser is driven mostly city, highway and to the beach on Highway 1 in California. Will see some good rain storms.
Go to the snow a few times a year and then the occasion summer fire road. Perhaps a trip to Colorado. in the near future.

I know this has been rehashed numerous times.
I know there are other tire stores that would sell me a H speed rated tire and I would probably be just fine. But wanted to try and stay in spec for now.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Dave

Technically, yes, your tire guy is right to recommend a tire matching the original equipment specifications for speed.

How much does that speed rating matter to you?

The 200-series certainly has the aero and power stock to exceed the max speed of many of the AT tires we use on these boards. I have a speed itch, but can't say I've ever tried to scratch it with my 200-series. Probably only touched 100 a handful of times in my ownership.

Unless you live near the autobahn, I'm not seeing much value in a V speed rating.

Recently installed P275/65r18 Michelin Defenders on my 2016, they are great tires. I’ve not had anyone bring up speed ratings. I can’t imagine driving faster than the speed rating, and I would recommend against picking a tire for a 200 based on speed rating.

Load rating is something to pay attention to, on the other hand.

Unless you plan on cruising at around 150mph that V rating doesn't mean anything

Go someplace else and get the Defender LTX. It's a near perfect tire for your use case. You don't need a tire that will run at 149 mph (V rating). 130 mph (H rating) is enough unless there is something about you I don't know! I wonder if that same tire dealer would refuse to sell you a winter tire, the majority of which are Q speed rating and limited to 99 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom