2016+ tacoma any thing to look for in a used one ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking of adding a new style 16+ tacoma to the garage. And I thought I would pick your brains.

Is the auto trans really as bad as the manual guys make it out to be ? I will not be towing other than a lawnmower on a small trailer.

What options really shine I will get a off road or sport. What options are worth skipping ?

What real world gas mileage should I expect.

If the rear diff has not had the recall done what should I look for ?

Thanks for the help

I really want a access cab in manual and they seem to be a unicorn.

The automatic is not the problem, the rear end gears that come with the auto 3.9 vs 4.3 with the manual are the issue. Personally I wanted a manual and had to order one that way, but have several friends with autos and am glad I did.

Manual will hold better value, get rear locker. I think these are most important in the second hand market if you care about resale.

Edit: If you want a bare bones one I would do that, Cheaper to add in a rear locker later if you want. Rear locker can only be had (I think) with the TRD Off road pack which is about $9k addition
Looks like the manual does not come with the Rear locker on Access Cab

It would be cool if you could special order a base with manual and locker

Last edited:
I purchased a 2017 sport 6mt, last summer. I am very happy. Some have had rear diff and tranny problems, that toyota seems to be making right. With my 17, the diff has not seeped at all, no tranny problems except when I'm sleepy.
The 16s had cps problems, but there was a revision. Like stated before autos could have seeping rear ends, possibly manuals, but my dealer said i did not fail in the TSB because of the different diff in manuals. I have 12k on mine and love it, check out TacomaWorld also. ORs came with a locker, but there are aftermarket options out there if you get another trim level. OR rear locker and bilstein suspension, Sport hood scoop and Hitachi? shocks.
An SR5 as stated above is cheaper and you can add better upgrades to suspension and locker cheaper.

20180614_164230.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom