2016 LC 200 wheels and tires options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been looking at replacing my stock wheels and tires w/new more off road worthy. I have seen many owners using different tires on their 2008-14 LC 200 ranging from BFG, Toyos, Nittos, Falken, Cooper and the list goes on, but I really need to know, which of these tires will offer the quietest ride with better performance than my stock ones for mudding, snow and occasional off roading.

Here is what I have set my eyes on so far after visiting a local Les Schwab Tires store. If I stay with the size 285/60/18 or 285/65R/18 since I am being told 17 inch won't fit due to the size of the rotors w/the brakes caliper.

- Toyos @ $400/each (see image attached)
- Falken WildePeak @ $350/each
- BFG KO2 @ $280/each
- Back Country SQ-4 @ $220/each (the sales person tells me this is the quietest one and in par w/Toyos performance)

As for rims, I really like the subtle look of black powder coated Fuel (attached).

My questions are:

- Do you know if 285/65/18 would rub from looking at the pic attached? I think it might
- Can anyone verify if the information I was told by Les Schwab about 17inch rims won't fit is valid for 2016 LC 200?
- Of all the tire options above, which one would you buy for DD, and occasional off roading?
- What do you think of the rim choice? Do you have other suggestions? Anyone able to fit the TRDs 17 inch on their 2016?

toyos.JPG

fuelrim.JPG

17" RW will absolutely fit. They were made for the Tundra which has been using the bigger front brakes since the '07 model year. There's a few other 17" wheels that the Tundra crowd runs. If you go over to the TundraTalk.net forum, you'll find out what they are. Off the top of my head I know Method makes a few models as does Walker Evans.

I run both the KO2's and the Falken Wildpeak AT3's and they are both very quiet.

I think that's the std BS answer most tire dealers give when it comes to rim sizes. Your tire dealer is wrong about 17" rims.
I am pretty sure the LC is sold in lower trim versions with 17", granted not here in the states since we only have one trim level here.
Also one of the most popular wheels among 200 LC owners around this forum is the 17"TRD Rock warrior.

IMG_6317.jpg

ToyotaLC200_2_19JAN13_zps219185e3.jpg

There are a lot of folks running 17" wheels. Ignore the tire dealer.

There are 17's...

IMG_9103 3.JPG

Cool guys. Thanks for confirming. So I am correct to go with 17 for bigger sidewall especially with lower psi in certain terrain I can benefit from larger tire print. And would 285/70/17 be the right tire size to avoid rubbing since I don't have a lift?

Cool guys. Thanks for confirming. So I am correct to go with 17 for bigger sidewall especially with lower psi in certain terrain I can benefit from larger tire print. And would 285/70/17 be the right tire size to avoid rubbing since I don't have a lift?

285/70/17 on TRD Rock Warriors won't rub... it's possible that other aftermarket wheels with different offset could cause some rubbing.

Toyota recommend the 285/70-17 BFG KO's for the Land Cruiser with the 17" TRD wheels:

TRDwheelTireSize_01AUG16_zps1idk5hbn.jpg

TRDpoopSheet1_17MAR16_zpsz1nrluhz.jpg

I will repeat ikeb's caution that 17" wheels other than the TRD 17" wheels may not fit.

HTH

Toyota recommend the 285/70-17 BFG KO's for the Land Cruiser with the 17" TRD wheels:

TRDwheelTireSize_01AUG16_zps1idk5hbn.jpg

TRDpoopSheet1_17MAR16_zpsz1nrluhz.jpg

I will repeat ikeb's caution that 17" wheels other than the TRD 17" wheels may not fit.

HTH
Thanks. So perhaps the TRD wheels have special fit which makes sense. Do the KO2s hum at freeway speeds? I am reading that the toyos and falkens are among the quietest.

No noticeable hum/road noise from my KO2's. I don't drive with windows down at freeway speeds and the cab on the LC is pretty quiet. My K9 roof rack is the only noticeable noise I have.

I think that's the std BS answer most tire dealers give when it comes to rim sizes. Your tire dealer is wrong about 17" rims.
I am pretty sure the LC is sold in lower trim versions with 17", granted not here in the states since we only have one trim level here.
Also one of the most popular wheels among 200 LC owners around this forum is the 17"TRD Rock warrior.

IMG_6317.jpg

ToyotaLC200_2_19JAN13_zps219185e3.jpg
Is there a part number for these TRDs your showing to make sure I get the right ones? Are they forged, billet or cast? and is the local dealer best place to buy it from? They are not cheap @ $450/each. so far I found this: http://www.toyotapartshouse.com/pro...ff-Road-Beadlock-Style-Alloy-Wheel-17/298277/

The Rock warrior 17" is a 1/2 wider wheel with a 10mm gain in offset, net effect pushes outer rim edge out 0.89.
The Oem wheel is 8" wide with a 60mm offset. Rock warrior is a 8.5" rim with a 50mm offset.

Not very many aftermarket rims have that extreme of an offset, so be sure and do the math. I.e. A typical 17x9 aftermarket rim with an 18mm offset would put your outer wheel edge out 2"s from stock. It would be out past your fenders and even an Oem height tire would rub , and likely would rub a lot.

At 1.25" of reduced offset via 1.25 spacer with Oem size tire on an Oem 18x8" rim and my stock height 200, I clear 98% of the time, there is one certain manover where I can and do get a very very slight rub on the inside left front fender. The steering Wheel has to be turned full lock to the left plus the vehicle has to be in reverse backing up on uneven terrain, that's the only time I get that slight rub.

So if your going with aftermarket wheels be sure and study the offsets and rim widths.

Happy to help, if you want to post the info on wheels your interested in.

this site may be helpful to you when comparing wheel offset...

Is there a part number for these TRDs your showing to make sure I get the right ones? Are they forged, billet or cast? and is the local dealer best place to buy it from? They are not cheap @ $450/each. so far I found this: http://www.toyotapartshouse.com/pro...ff-Road-Beadlock-Style-Alloy-Wheel-17/298277/

Forged

Surprised that actually have them in stock, as apparently they are no longer made for Toyota and dealers last year were only selling as replacements to confirmed owners. Also don't forget you'll need the wheel specific install kit as the lug nuts are different from OEM. (long, narrow, fluted).

If you're going to purchase the TRD Rock Warriors, take your time and search Craig's List. I've picked up two sets for around $700 per set. Also found two spares, one for $25 and one for $50!

The Rock warrior 17" is a 1/2 wider wheel with a 10mm gain in offset, net effect pushes outer rim edge out 0.89.
The Oem wheel is 8" wide with a 60mm offset. Rock warrior is a 8.5" rim with a 50mm offset.

This is incorrect. Please see the item description for the 17" TRD wheel in my post above which correctly describes it as "17 x 8 x 50" which means it is a 17" wheel which is 8" wide with a 50mm offset.

I am aware that at least one aftermarket wheel site describes the TRD 17" wheel as being 8.5" wide, but that is also incorrect.

HTH

Edit to add:

Please see a more complete description of this wheel here: TRD Wheel -17 inch Forged Alloy ONE (1) PTR45-34120

Last edited:
There are 2 styles of 17x8 cast alloy wheel available in Australia:

Toyota LandCruiser 200 Series [2007 - current] UZJ - Petrol 4.7L Alloy & Steel Wheels

Cost of shipping brings price comparable to RWs, though.

There's also a style of OEM 17x8 cast alloy wheel that has been available on entry/mid level LC until 2016, but never in North America.
They are rare and can be seen on Australian classifieds, usually for ridiculous asking price (think over 1500 dollars for a set of used wheels).

Last edited:
Thanks. So perhaps the TRD wheels have special fit which makes sense. Do the KO2s hum at freeway speeds? I am reading that the toyos and falkens are among the quietest.
The KO2s on my 2016 are quite quiet. No humming what so ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom