2016 Cruise Moab Kokopelli Expedtion team thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paflytyer

100s in the Hills
Media Partner
Threads
Hello old friends and new friends to be!

Congratulations on being selected to join this incredible adventure. Cruise Moab 2016 is right around the corner and it's time to start planning for the only double overnighter Cruise Moab event. The selections for the 2016 Kokopelli Expedition have been made and we're all in for a grand adventure with a great group! This is a long post, but should cover most stuff.

The Kokopelli Trail was once again the first run to fill to capacity for the Cruise Moab event. This is a FULL 3-day expedition style run that is essentially an event all its own. OutdoorX4 Magazine will once again be our trail sponsor and we're working hard to make this the best Kokopelli Expedition yet. (It will be hard to top the excitement from last year, but we'll try!) As of right now, we are a strong group of 15. That number is subject to change as we get closer, but it's a perfect size for this adventure. Anything over 15 and we start to get crowded at our stops and bottlenecked at the obstacles.

We have a good mix of capable vehicles once again and 5 team members are returning from last year! That should tell you how fun this trip is. Our vehicle list is as follows:

Six 80 Series

Four 100 Series

Two 40 Series

Two 60 Series

One Tacoma

Two years in a row the 80 Series is the most dominant vehicle but the 100's are catching up. Oddly enough, this is the first time since 2013 that we'll have a 60 on the trail. (we'll have two)

This thread will serve as our meeting place, so to speak. We will coordinate our times, make cyber-introductions and generally just start the process of getting to know one another. After all, we're going to spend 3+ days together where we're going to work as a team, look out for each other, break bread together, camp together and laugh together. We'll also be doing that on one of the most beautiful and exciting trails this fine country has to offer.

The Trip:

This is a true expedition experience that will have us covering 150 miles between Mack, CO and Moab, UT. I don't want to spoil anything by explaining the trail too much, I'll just say get ready for an amazing route to an amazing town.

The Plan:

Monday Night: (Optional) Several people typically travel to the trailhead the day before and it is recommended, but not at all required. There are hotels available in Grand Junction if you'd like to take that last real shower before starting off Tuesday morning. We will plan on meeting/camping here:

39°10'33.6"N 109°01'19.9"W

This area is a first come first served dispersed camping area fairly near the interstate exit for Rabbit Valley (Exit 2 off I-70). From the exit, travel south, just over a half mile and turn right. I will try and have a sign out but there is cell phone service in the area and you can call if necessary. My initial email will have my phone number. If that area happens to be full (that's' doubtful) then we can camp in any designated camp area.

Tuesday Morning: Meet at the site mentioned and mapped above off the Rabbit Valley exit (Exit 2 off Interstate 70)

Tech Inspection will run from 9:00-9:45. Drivers Meeting at 10:00 and departure around 10:15am. Please ensure that you are totally fueled up (with extra) and 100% ready to go. Tuesday will actually be our shortest day on the trail. Barring any setbacks, we'll arrive in camp in the late afternoon and have time to set our camps and relax for what is always a great evening. Everyone is excited to be on the trail and the first night is always a late one around the campfire.

Tuesday night's camp will be at Fish Ford near the Colorado River. Dinner will be a potluck style meal with everyone hopefully bringing something to share. We did this for the last few years and it's always a big hit. I will be bringing Pork Green Chile with all the fixin's (Chips, Cheese, Tortillas, Sour Cream etc.) Please bring something to share, but remember that if we all bring food for 30, we'll have way too many leftovers and there are very few places to dump trash until Moab.

Wednesday: Depart camp by 10am. This will be a long, but fun day. We'll travel through Cisco Wash and onto a portion of Dome Plateau. We wil also make our way through Yellowjacket Canyon and see some amazing views. We'll exit the trail near the famous Dewey Bridge and make a brief stop at our second night's camp at Roberts Bottom. We will drop off any trailers in the group and continue to the Top of the World. This out and back trail will take us a few hours to complete and I'm aiming to have us near the top as the sun is getting lower to the west. This is one of the most photogenic areas of the entire region. You can expect to hit your sliders and bumpers pretty often on this trail. The ledges have been getting dug out pretty bad and this trail is much harder now than it has been in the past. It's a driveshaft and u-joint eater, so stay vigilant. Last year's trip was nicknamed the "Brokeopelli Expedition" because of all the carnage we had along the way.

Thursday: Depart camp by 9:30am for another very full day. Day three will be our hardest day (obstacle wise) of the trip. Plan on being on the trail all day, getting into Moab in the early evening. We will cover some beautiful terrain throughout the day. We'll descend the infamous Rose Garden Hill which will be the hardest part of the trail (Sliders are required to avoid body damage, bumpers and skid plates are recommended.) You WILL hit your sliders and land hard on your bumpers. It will take our group a few hours to cover this small stretch. Then, we'll pass through Fisher Valley and Onion Creek and traverse the northern flank of the La Sal Mountains. We'll arrive into Moab via Sand Flats Road tired, dusty, dirty and hungry. It's a great way to kick off your Cruise Moab adventure. While everyone else is preparing for their first runs of the event, we're already 3 days into an amazing trip.

Important Details:

Vehicle Inspection: This is a TLCA Sanctioned Event. All vehicles must pass the TLCA tech inspection. The time is now to ensure everything is in proper order. We are traveling in a remote area well away from civilization and there are very few bail-out areas. We have some very knowledgeable folks joining us this year, so that is always helpful in the event of a breakdown.

Communications: Everyone must have a functioning CB. It's a Cruise Moab requirement but it's also vitally important for these long distance overnight runs. Having a HAM radio is even better. Having your HAM radio license is even better still. I will have both and am a licensed HAM radio operator. If you're wanting to become a HAM radio operator, let me know and I'll give you some clues that will help you to pass the test prior the event.

Fuel: Once we leave the pavement at Rabbit Valley, there will not be an opportunity to get fuel until Moab. I recommend everyone please bring at least 5-10 gallons. You know your offroad mileage better than anyone, so please plan accordingly. I average about 6-8 mpgs on this trail and I use 4-6 extra gallons. @aegustafson will probably run out of gas again, so I'll bring an extra gallon for him too.

Food: Plan to be self-sufficient, however, breakfast will be provided at least once, possibly twice. Please let me know if you have any allergies. Food or otherwise.

Pets: Please feel free to bring your friendly and well behaved dogs. Mean dogs or dogs that could possibly bite are better left at home. We are a long way from medical facilities and a dog-bite could be hard to deal with. Both camp locations are primitive and there are free range cattle, fox, coyote, skunks, snakes and other desert critters in the area. There are also free grazing sheep (thousands and thousands) along a portion of the route. There will be sheep dogs with the herds and they are not friendly. Do not let your dog tangle with them. The sheep will also be birthing during this time, so please keep your dog away from the sheep. There's a good chance we'll see ewe's giving birth right alongside the trail.

Be sure to bring a leash and a way to clean up after your dog.

Trailers: Off-road trailers have their place and you're welcome to bring one if it can handle the trail. The terrain is tough in several spots and your trailer should not be the limiting factor. Also if you are one who drives slower with a trailer than without consider leaving it at home. It's not fair to the group to move at a slower pace because of one individual. Please let me know if you're thinking of bringing a trailer so we can discuss it. @74bruiser pulled a small Ruger trailer on 35s last year and it had no issues. His 40 on the other hand..... We'll save that story for around the campfire at Fish Ford on Tuesday night.

Firewood: Please bring at least one bundle of fire wood. More is always better. Nights this time of year can be very cold and sitting around a warm campfire is pretty darned nice!

Water: 1 gallon per person per day for drinking is the rule of the desert. Bring more if you plan on doing dishes, showering etc. There is very little water to speak of and even the mighty Colorado runs pretty dirty that time of year. Filtering water would be difficult.

Firearms: Abide by applicable laws. We are traveling in Colorado and Utah. Keep in mind this is a TLCA Sanctioned 4x4 event. There will be no recreational shooting. Be responsible and keep your weapons safely secured.

Toilets: For number 1. Urinating in a disturbed or stable area (i.e. trail, rock, dry drainage) is preferred. Don't pee on the plants and flowers. Number 2: BLM mandates that all solid waste be removed. We will have portable/packable toilets available. Please visit Wal-Mart or another store of your choice to pick up a box of wag bags for about $11. The Wal-Mart brand is Ozark Trail. We will pack out what we pack in. We will also try to stop at vault toilets in a couple areas. There is a pit toilet somewhat near each of our camps. The vault toilets near our second night’s camp are back at Dewey Bridge, about a 10 minute drive from camp.

Alcohol: Drinking on the trail is prohibited by drivers and passengers. Camp is the place for it and we will have plenty of time to share stories in the evening. FYI, alcohol is best purchased outside of Utah as you will typically get it cheaper and of higher quality products. Fruita/Grand Junction is a great stock up point, but most stores don't open until 10am, so you'll need to have it prior to our meet-up on Tuesday morning.

Health Issues: If you have any health issues that may require emergency assistance, please let me know privately or share it with our group during our Driver's Meeting.

Medical: I am a former United States Marine. My medical training is consistent with my military training. I am CPR certified and will carry an Outer Limit Supply medical kit. I encourage everyone to carry a medical kit as well. Please let me know if you have medical training so we can best handle emergency situations. We are in remote areas and medical needs can become very serious very quickly. I'll also be carrying a SAT phone in case of emergencies. We do have an EMT in the group and he is very knowledgeable when it comes to wilderness first aid.

Vehicle: We are traveling in a remote area. Please ensure that your vehicle is in top running condition. If you cannot pass Tech Inspection on Tuesday morning, you will be asked not to participate. Inspection Details

Trash: We will pack out what we pack in. This means all human waste and trash. This means no burning trash in the evening fires as well. (paper plates are obviously ok when the fire is raging) Let's make camp and the trail look better than we found it. A Trasharoo is a great addition to your rig and doubles as a firewood carrier. Don’t hesitate to announce on the CB or HAM that you’re stopping to pick up a water bottle or beer can that you find on the trail. Let's do our part to make sure this trail stays beautiful and open for the next generation.

Camp: Please respect others in camp. Let’s have fun, but don’t disturb the folks who climb into their RTT’s at 10pm either. @bluecruiser usually stays up until the wee hours, so if you like to crash early, don't park near the main campfire.

Have Fun!: This expedition is a once in a lifetime trip for some folks. We will stop for photos at all the best places!

Please post up and make an introduction. Feel free to ask questions, tell a little about yourself and your vehicle, or just say hello. This is a trip of a lifetime!

koko 2015.jpg

Last edited:
I will happily make the first introduction. My name is Stan Wright. I'll be leading our group on this incredible adventure but will have a close friend @bluecruiser co-leading and tail gunning with me. As mentioned above, we also have 5 other Kokopelli Expedition members from last year with us. That makes for a very knowledgeable group. Chris (@bluecruiser) and I have logged thousands of trail miles together over the years and we work well together on the trail. This will be my 6th time on the Kokopelli and although the trail is getting harder and harder each year, it's still my favorite multi-day adventure.

I drive a 2004 100 Series Land Cruiser that was built for adventures just like this one. My family travels with me often, but I will be solo on this adventure. I live in Denver, Colorado and am a member of Rising Sun 4X4 Club. I am also the managing editor of Toyota Trails magazine and the senior outdoors editor and marketing director for OutdoorX4 Magazine. If that doesn't keep me busy enough, I am also an air traffic controller at Denver International Airport. Since everyone here is a TLCA member, you may already be aware that I'm also recovering from a severe spinal cord injury that left me paralyzed from the waist down for almost 3 months. I am still in rehab every day and still have some lingering effects that you'll notice, but I am slowly getting better. I am able to walk and move around fairly well. I will have to get out of my truck a lot and move my legs, but should have no issues on the trail. Unfortunately, I can't run, jump or lift heavy things, but we'll have some muscle in our group and we'll be fine. I will also be taking the easiest lines along the route to keep the bumps to a minimum.

I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to this trip. After months in the hospital and in a wheelchair, my newfound freedom is hard to contain. I need this trip. There was a period of time, just a few months ago, that I didn't know if I'd ever stand, walk or drive again, so this trip is special to me in many ways. Not only will I be on the trail with new and old friends alike, but I will truly be able to appreciate the freedom of being away from hospitals and therapy gyms. Trust me, there will not be a wider smile on this adventure than the one on my face. I'm thankful to be sharing this experience with all of you.

1 (1280x853).jpg

Stan, it's great to hear that you're leading Kokopelli again this year!

I'm Don Larson and I drive a '95 80-series, here going down Rose Garden Hill, last year. This is my fourth CM, and third as a driver. For those new to this trail, it is an awesome experience. Stan and Chris are great trail leaders. I did it last year and just had to return!

moab april 2015 105.JPG

Last edited:
Hello everyone, my name is Tim Kurnos and this will be third Cruise Moab and second time on the Kokopelli. Last year I had some issues (thanks for pointing that out @paflytyer) but made it out alive.. I'm looking forward to actually completing the trip this year. Last year was a blast and can't wait to do it again. Below is a pic of my rig going down the Cisco wash.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm Chris and I'll be teaming up with @paflytyer to get this group through the Kokopelli again this year. I've been to Cruise Moab 8-9 times and have done the Kokopelli trail ~6 times with various groups. Last year was a blast and we had some interesting challenges along the way. For you 80 owners, please "check your nuts!!!" before the trip (knuckle studs). Bring your favorite vices because there will be a fair amount of shenanigans when camp is setup. @paflytyer took my pic last year on Rose Garden Hill.

image.png

Just to get the hype going a little bit...... here's the video made by @tancruiserjr of last year's trip. So much fun. Don, you can see me getting the photo of you that was used in Toyota Trails at 2:15.

Hello everyone, my name is Tim Kurnos and this will be third Cruise Moab and second time on the Kokopelli. Last year I had some issues (thanks for pointing that out @paflytyer) but made it out alive.. I'm looking forward to actually completing the trip this year. Last year was a blast and can't wait to do it again. Below is a pic of my rig going down the Cisco wash.

View attachment 1238157
Hi Tim,
Look forward to seeing you again this year. BTW, great photo on the March/April Toyota Trails cover!!!
Don

Just to get the hype going a little bit...... here's the video made by @tancruiserjr of last year's trip. So much fun. Don, you can see me getting the photo of you that was used in Toyota Trails at 2:15.

That was a great shot, Stan! The scenery, the drone overhead. For the rest, it is page 44 in the July/August 2015 issue of Toyota Trails.

Hey guys, I'm Chris and I'll be teaming up with @paflytyer to get this group through the Kokopelli again this year. I've been to Cruise Moab 8-9 times and have done the Kokopelli trail ~6 times with various groups. Last year was a blast and we had some interesting challenges along the way. For you 80 owners, please "check your nuts!!!" before the trip (knuckle studs). Bring your favorite vices because there will be a fair amount of shenanigans when camp is setup. @paflytyer took my pic last year on Rose Garden Hill.

View attachment 1238172
And a great tailgunner and guide you are. BTW, Chris, I saw your 80 at the Moab Brewery after your October run of the Kokopelli. Tried to find you inside, but missed you somehow. Great write-up from that run!

And a great tailgunner and guide you are. BTW, Chris, I saw your 80 at the Moab Brewery after your October run of the Kokopelli. Tried to find you inside, but missed you somehow. Great write-up from that run!
Thanks for the kind words, Don. Looking forward to the CM 2016 Koko trip!

Hello, I am Anders, I will be driving the other 40. This is my third cruisemoab and second trip on the kokopelli. I also did it last year and had a great time, I am looking forward to seeing everyone from last year and meeting all of the new members. For the record I did not run out of gas, I ran out of fuel filter but I am very happy to let Stan buy and carry all of my extra fuel. see you all in a couple of weeks. Below is my 40 driving on some dirt somewhere.

IMG_0461.JPG

Hi Tim,
Look forward to seeing you again this year. BTW, great photo on the March/April Toyota Trails cover!!!
Don

Don, I look forward to wheeling with you again. Thanks again for the tie down for my battery.. it's still there.

What an AWESOME video.

BTW, for the 80 drivers, I agree with the caution to tighten your knuckle studs, but to also purchase an extra set in case you have catastrophic failure:

Qty 8, part# 90126-12005, steering knuckle studs
Qty 8, part# 94115-71200, nut
Qty 8, part# 90201-12019, plate washer for steering arm

Hello,
I am Alex and My Wife Amanda will be with me on the trail. We have had our 80 series for 3 years now it is our first cruiser and I found it here on mud. Looking forward to meeting all of you we went to Cruiserfest last year and did the Denver trail run with some great members of the rising sun club. We have never done the Kokopelli trail, or been to MOAB looking forward to it!
slide_4.jpg

This shot was taken at Little Sahara where we camped out with the Moab group en route to Cruierfest 2016.

BTW, for the 80 drivers, I agree with the caution to tighten your knuckle studs, but to also purchase an extra set in case you have catastrophic failure:

Qty 8, part# 90126-12005, steering knuckle studs
Qty 8, part# 94115-71200, nut
Qty 8, part# 90201-12019, plate washer for steering arm

On the trail run for Cruiserfest we did a check before hitting some high speed dirt, one guy had two broken studs, and there where 3 or 4 trucks that they where loose on 0_o

Holy smokes. Well, let's make sure everyone has these parts in their tool bag! Costs less than $30 bucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom