Builds Giovanni’s 2016 460 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

285/70/17 gets my vote, so universal and easily found. More sidewall and more tire options as well. I love mine as I still get very acceptable fuel economy but I suffer from constant upgraditis and I can't leave well enough alone and I'll likely move to a 295 or 285/75 next haha.

I hear you on the upgrade-its! Sucks to have this disease. In addition, I have the "engineer disease" where I want everything to be perfect - those two combine to cost me a lot of $$ sometimes.

And I'd love for my GX to get any kind of fuel economy that could be considered "acceptable"!

I hear you on the upgrade-its! Sucks to have this disease. In addition, I have the "engineer disease" where I want everything to be perfect - those two combine to cost me a lot of $$ sometimes.

And I'd love for my GX to get any kind of fuel economy that could be considered "acceptable"!

My undergrad is in engineering so I know the feeling. The older I get the more anal and tedious I become about certain things but at the same time I become more lax about others.

Agree with both giovanni and Tex68w. As I am also as a biomed engineer and masters degree in engineering systems (read: make things more efficient), even worst, an R&D engineer, my issue is finding flaws with a lot of products that If "I" were to do them over, what I'd do to make them better/more reliable/cheaper and the list goes on...
Thus you'll sometimes see suggestions on topics products, accessories, etc. that I consider as being able to improve on. I've done a lot of mod's to my overland vehicles that have been quite "out-of-the-box" and unique type of mods.

First outdoors trip with the GX and new camper. It all worked great, except for the absolutely horrendous fuel economy while towing. :)

As always, there are more projects to do - next up for me:
- 285/70/17 tires and Alphaequipt wheels x7 so I have matching wheels/tires on the camper for spare flexibility
- I’m going to try to Lsailt CarPlay system ... fingers crossed on it
- Lots of great looking T-bolt rails mounted on the dash ... need to figure one out for me
- 12V power for dash accessories
- 3rd row delete - trying to decide what to put there. At the moment, I really like the frontrunner system

881591B4-9DFD-48DF-814D-B6FA8BF2B950.jpeg

BC0237E2-2B8C-48BE-BBCA-4D96892E422F.jpeg

0511A05B-00EF-4B15-8BA1-D259A56ACEEF.jpeg

Last edited:
Lol, yea the fuel economy when towing is nightmare inducing. We averaged between 7-8mpg in the mountains when towing around 3500lbs worth of utility trailer with dirt bikes and gear and three adults. That's no more than 150 miles before you are in emergency mode looking for fuel lol.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the T-slot rails on the dash, I've been wanting to do this for a while and I am waiting on others to take the plunge first lol. I've been waiting on Expedition Essentials to drop one for the 460 and they've said that it's coming soon, I tend to believe them because they have one out for the 470 now.

I was just under 10mpg towing that camper at roughly 3600lbs.

This might work - going to look more closely and measure before I buy but I think it just might.

Electrical projects over the weekend. Added the LSAILT CarPlay unit, a SP-9100, and a whole bunch of USB / 12V socket / 12V Hella outlets.

I ordered a RAM Tough-Track composite that I *think* I can mount to the dash just aft of the speaker grill, so I ran every type of device power cord into the center speaker. The little speaker there is for the LSAILT CarPlay device.

IMG_1231.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

IMG_1235.jpeg

Did you just french in the SP-9100 to the plastic? I was considering doing the same but I saw that Treaty Oak is set to come out with a mount for it that sits up near the sunglass holder on the headliner. That's not exactly where I'd like my switches to be but it provides an easily reversible location. My only concern is how difficult will it be to run the wires up there!?

I didn't take any pictures as I installed it, but you can sort of see it in this one from the installation manual. It has an outer "lip" that is designed to allow flat/flush mounting. Those two little bars press against the backside of the plastic and hold it in very securely.

The lip is small, so you have to be VERY careful not to cut the hole too large.

page2image3459855664

Last edited:
How solid is that speaker grille? In other words how will it hold up on rough roads?
To add to MrTorque's comment, does it/will it bounce and vibrate on choppy washboard roads?
Love the idea! It's almost like the rail they have on top of the dash of the new Bronco's.
Now that you've teased us with all the pretty pictures, how about a link and price!!

To add to MrTorque's comment, does it/will it bounce and vibrate on choppy washboard roads?
Love the idea! It's almost like the rail they have on top of the dash of the new Bronco's.
Now that you've teased us with all the pretty pictures, how about a link and price!!

Found a couple.

Reactions: r2m
I was surprised at how sturdy the speaker cover is! I think it will hold just fine on any kind of road. If it does start to move around, you can easily add nutserts to the dash under it and anchor it down more. I don’t think it will be necessary.

It’s a RAM Tough-Track top load - they make them in a whole bunch of different lengths. I used a 9” - which perfectly matches the width of the speaker grill at the aft edge.

The LSAILT CarPlay unit is working very well. Worth the money IMHO. The screen resolution in the GX is definitely a few generations behind, but the wired and wireless CarPlay seem to work fine without any major screen lags.

M5 x 16 and M5 x 20. If you drill the holes just smaller (can’t remember what bit I used) than the M5, the metal screen on the grill will actually catch and hold the bolts. But for good measure I put nylock nuts on most of them - there are a few where interference from structural pieces of the grill made it not possible to fit a nut, so I just let the metal in the speaker grill cover hold it.

Last edited:
If you’re not fishing any wires up there, all you have to remove is the speaker cover. Pops out - takes a little force but a plastic trim tool gives enough leverage to get it up.

If you’re pulling wires up, I don’t think you can do it without removing all of the center parts - upper and lower stereo / display / HVAC control units and the center console cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom