2015 New Mexico Chile Challenge Oct 14-17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Carnage round up

One sliced tire - replaced by Discount Tire El Paso for $40.

Two bent shackle bolts. I bought greasable shackles before Claudia had one of hers break, and have been nervous about them since. I have a set of solid bolt shackles (and a bunch of other stuff) on the way from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.

Both running boards damaged - the driver side was only held at the rear by an inch of metal - the rest was completely rusted out.

The exhaust pipe rusted out at the connection to the exhaust manifold and blew out the gasket. Fumes were terrible on the ride home. I'm changing out the manifold gasket as well and re-routing my entire exhaust system.

The passenger side Warn hub got the outer ring crunched and I almost had to take it apart to unlock it Sunday morning before I came home.

Kurt is sending a new set of Aisin hubs that should work better than these ^%*(%$ Warns!

And of course my front bumper modification.

All in all a good trip for a 44 year old cruiser!

IMG_9483-small.jpg
IMG_9616-small.jpg
IMG_9617-small.jpg
IMG_9618-small.jpg

Last edited:
Look like a great trip and now some neccessary upgrades :hillbilly:

I like the new look by the way

I have a set of those running boards somewhere in the garage . . . I won't need them anymore after Kevin made me super-duper custom steps :D

also, you may want to use Kurt's black bushings for the frame side of the shackles - the OEM rubber bushings are a bit narrower than the red polyurethane, and you get a better line-up of the shackle sides - and, you'll need a new front shackle at some point anyway, provided you can get it off, considering how bent that one ear is :hillbilly:

I have a set of those running boards somewhere in the garage . . . I won't need them anymore after Kevin made me super-duper custom steps :D

also, you may want to use Kurt's black bushings for the frame side of the shackles - the OEM rubber bushings are a bit narrower than the red polyurethane, and you get a better line-up of the shackle sides - and, you'll need a new front shackle at some point anyway, provided you can get it off, considering how bent that one ear is :hillbilly:
I have two new shackle kits for the front, two solid bolt spring pins for the other side of the springs, and a twelve-pack of Kurt's black bushings on the way.

I have been meaning to bend and weld up some rock sliders to replace the running boards - but it never seemed too important until now;)

yeah, I got my new front bumper after meeting this rock (the tree on the left that was blocking the sight back then is now -as you can see- heavily trimmed:

image-jpg.1073620

background story: GWT signing Sycamore 3-28-2015

result: :doh:

dsc02888-jpg.110270

Last edited:
that was almost 10 years ago :lol:

Great pictures, and story, Steve - thanks for taking the time to post it!

Chuck

I have been meaning to bend and weld up some rock sliders to replace the running boards - but it never seemed too important until now;)

One of those Charlou Gap runs several years ago, I remember someone behind us thanking me for knocking a boulder aside during a water crossing. Those 3" tubes from SOR might be ugly, but they do hold up to abuse (who are we to consider function over beauty).;)

Said it before and will say it again, great pics and story, keep them coming.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom