2015 New Mexico Chile Challenge Oct 14-17 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stepmurr

Lookin' fer the end of that old white line
SILVER Star
Threads
http://www.chilechallenge.org/2015-chile-challenge-information.html

The 2015 Chile Challenge will take place October 14 - 17 at the Caballo Lake State Park Riverside Campground. Same week, same great location, same great trails with some new ones thrown into the mix.

///////////////////////

I just registered - you should too!

Post from last year:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/nm-chile-challenge-needs-more-cruisers.821423/#post-9420758
IMG_9202-small.jpg

I registered. Registration closes October 1st but just like last year walkups are welcome based on trail availability.

My trails

Wednesday Lost Boys -> Level 9
Thursday Green Canyon -> Level 8
Friday Backstage Pass -> Level 9
Saturday Brandon's Challenge/Hooker's Corner -> Level 10

I registered. Registration closes October 1st but just like last year walkups are welcome based on trail availability.

My trails

Wednesday Lost Boys -> Level 9
Thursday Green Canyon -> Level 8
Friday Backstage Pass -> Level 9
Saturday Brandon's Challenge/Hooker's Corner -> Level 10
Great -I'll see you there.

I see you ate doing the big dog trails - I'm sticking to the little dog trails :bounce2:

What are you running Wednesday and Thursday? I'm thinking about going with more scenic trails until the weekend.

Trail Selection:

Level 1-9

Wednesday
Rattler -> Level 4

Thursday
Broad Canyon -> Level 8

Friday
Apache Canyon(LWH)-> Level 6

Saturday
Apache Canyon (Up & Back) -> Level 6

I'm doing Apache Canyon twice in case my visitors can only make down on Saturday.

The run organizers seem pretty open to trail changes as the event goes on.

Apache Canyon is a great run, it is one of those that is worth making a trip to the area just to run it.
I may try to get Thursday changed to Broad Canyon if Crystal Canyon doesn't open up. Hopefully LCFWD club will be as accommodating as they were last year.

See Ya there

Weather is perfect for 4 days of wheeling. mid 70s in the campground now and mid 80s for a high during the week.

Weather is perfect for 4 days of wheeling. mid 70s in the campground now and mid 80s for a high during the week.
Glad you made it down here this year.

I'm in spot 63 . . .

Last edited:
Camping near Springerville on the way to NM
IMG_8889-small.jpg

Caballo Lake State Park
IMG_8900-small.jpg

Caballo dam in the night
IMG_8910-small.jpg

Camping at the state park - electrics & running water - what a treat!:bounce:
IMG_9013-small.jpg

Very nice FJ40 buggy with a Cummins diesel
IMG_9066-small.jpg

First trail - Rattler
IMG_9081-small.jpg

Rock was bigger than it looked
IMG_9083-small.jpg

My nephew changing the tire I sliced open - no jack was used - I just ran up the hillside until the tire was levitated
IMG_9093-small.jpg

I called Discount Tire in Las Cruces and they said there was only one KM2 within 200 miles and it was in El Paso, but warned me to call them to make sure it was really there.
I called the El Paso store and they assured me they had a KM2. So we drove all the way to El Paso, then 26 more miles across rush hour traffic to the eastside store, only to find out they had mislabeled their tire and they didn't really have a KM2 after all.

So they gave me one of the new KO2s for $40 and renewed the hazard cert for free.
IMG_9100-small.jpg

Fluid check before day two's trail run
IMG_9101-small.jpg

Day two - Broad Canyon

I took the Taco through Broad Canyon six or seven years ago, so I thought this would be a relatively easy trail for the FJ40.

I was very wrong - they had a 1000 year flood event that completely changed the canyon bottom. Rocks that were 12" tall were now exposed to 3 or 4 feet. My Taco would not even make it over the first obstacle anymore without a lot of winching.

Morning lineup
IMG_9127-small.jpg

skirting the swamp that covered up the normal trail
IMG_9132-small.jpg

This is "Broad" Canyon?
IMG_9137-small.jpg

Muchas boulders
IMG_9146-small.jpg

I have a picture of this spot from the Taco trip and the rock on the right used to only be a foot tall
IMG_9148-small.jpg

Day Three - Apache Canyon & Palomas Gap

This Jeep was actually sitting on its rear bumper with both front tires in the air - awkward!
IMG_9227-small.jpg

We started calling this "Turtle Rock" because five vehicles had to winch off it, and a few others had to be dragged over it
IMG_9237-small.jpg

Turtle rock again - note the diff on rock & both rear tires in the air
IMG_9241-small.jpg

Turtle Rock again
IMG_9255-small.jpg

Narrow shelf road up to Palomas Gap
IMG_9275-small.jpg

Last edited:
I hate shelf roads 600 feet in the air:eek:

IMG_9276-small.jpg
IMG_9279-small.jpg

Crossing the mighty Rio Grande near Palomas, NM
IMG_9286-small.jpg

Back at camp sporting the new look up front
IMG_9288-small.jpg

I bent the snot out of the front bumper (again) and the driver's side was hitting the tire.

Rather than attempting to pull it straight for the umpteenth time I wacked the ends off.

jstncse from Albuquerque was kind enough to lend me his Sawzall and in about a minute I had both sides sliced off the bumper.

IMG_9289-small.jpg

More fun on Turtle Rock
IMG_9336-small.jpg

My grand-nephew completely oblivious to the chaos behind him - just another turtled Jeep:meh:
IMG_9342-small.jpg

The driver of this rig is a tank commander in the army :cheers:
IMG_9353-small.jpg

Sitting around the fire
IMG_9384-small.jpg

My grand-nephew, brother, and me
IMG_9400-small.jpg

Always leave a clean camp

IMG_9415-small.jpg

I want some of these for my next set of tires
IMG_9592-small.jpg

Almost 2100 miles - including three trips to Albuquerque & one trip to the far side of El Paso

48 hours of driving :steer:
IMG_9613-small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom