2014/2015 Duramax Chev/GMC 2500-3500 feedback? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK

anyone out there on this forum run a duramax of recent vintage say 2014-2015 either GMC or Chev.

I'm thinking about a crewcab long bed dmax and will be leaving the truck stock for some time if I take this route.

Looking for what's been your experience with repairs / issues/ etc service? Not looking to hear about hot-rod tuning or various invasive mods... more of like what's been your experience with stock vehicle?

I currently tow about 10K and I'm wondering what I'll end up doing in the future. At present I have a 2014 reg cab, 6.0 gas, 2wd drive 2500 hd long bed and it does ok. I'm considering going to crewcab, 4wd, long bed (GM truck) in either 2500 or 3500 and the big decision point is stay with the 6.0 gas or go dmax. I have no doubt the dmax is the big dog for towing capability but it also comes in about $9+K on top of the same configured truck with the 6.0 gas.

People having good luck and good service with the stock duramax of recent vintage?

Not looking at Ford or Ram...

Elbert, I have a good friend who bought a 2015 2500hd crew cab 4x4 last year and he already has 50K miles on it without any issues. Definitely one of the nicest trucks I've ever been in. I'm probably not the best for advice on this due to being biased on Chevrolet's but I have an '08 2500 with the duramax and I absolutely love it. I have an 18' car trailer and a 28' pontoon boat and it pulls both with ease. No modifications. If you are in the market for a truck and your question is stay with the gas engine or diesel....the decision is easy, go buy the duramax.

Last edited:
A bit older than you asked about, but I've had great luck with my '09 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 crew cab long bed with the Duramax and Allison automatic transmission. I've also been very pleased with my '01 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 regular cab long bed with the 8.1L and ZF6 6-speed manual transmission. Both are great trucks.

I think it comes down to how often you plan on towing that 10k pounds. 10k is kind of in the middle -- not light but not real heavy (for a diesel). If often, then I'd go diesel as you'll love the ease at which it will tow that 10k, not to mention better mpg. If not so often, then go gas.

I have an 06 dmax with Alison and I love it. I've done a few things to it but definitely no where over the top on mods, etc.. That being said, a diesel does require more maintenance items (e.g. fuel filter, external tranny filters, etc..) so it does cost more to maintain. A more modern diesel like you are looking at will have even more maintenance and "gear", like DEF, DPF, etc..

All that being said, towing with a diesel is a pleasure, not to mention better mpg towing and for me not towing. Prior to my dmax, I had a Tundra and average 16 mpg in mixed driving/commuting. I get 17.5 mpg in my dmax.

OP, let us know which way you went if you get a chance.

Late to this party, but I have a 2015 GMC 3500 Duramax with the Allison auto trans, Crew Cab, Dual rear wheels, Long bed and I installed the B&W Companion turn over ball fifth wheel hitch. I tow a 38' Mobile Suites, 15,500 empty and 17,500 gross. Been to Gunnison Colorado a couple of times, Wyoming Big Horn Mountains, etc. The truck is excellent. No issues other that factory recalls for various things. About 9 mpg average towing in all different terrain, about 21 MPG just running down the road. I am sitting in an RV park now.

Just saw the recent post and wanted to update what I did. I traded the 20142wd and bought a 2016 Crew 4wd 2500HD recently, reg bed with 6.0 gas this time. I just did not want to spend that additional 9K to get the same truck with the dmax. I just got this thing and so I've not towed with it just yet but I expect it to be very similar in capability to my 2014 pickup as noted in initial post. The dmax is the king of the torque output by far...double or more than a 6.0 gas. For now with me towing 10K I think I'll be fine. I'll give a few years to see how things go. I hope to do some more 4wd trips out west and we'll see how hard the mtns are to the 6.0.

My friends at the local gm dealer are saying the new dmax are doing ok, but they continue to see issues with either the DEF fluid and or the emissions system on the damx. The 2017 dmax looks to be a torque monster.

We'll see how things go, I certainly like the ride and handeling/brakes of the new GM trucks and thats been a plus (of course with a price). I have considered on going semi old school at some point and getting an 07 GM dmax (non def) and or even considering a flavor of dodge 2500/3500. So many of the used oil-burner stuff is hot-rodded on and tuned....we'll see. I do like the simplicity of the older school non-def diesels.

Overall for now given my limited towing and what I do, I think the 6.0 gas is the best option for me at this point.