2013 Shifting Issue - tech help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched and couldn't find anything like this. I'm guessing one of you tech geniuses will know what the problem is off the top of your head. Already taken it to the local trusted mechanic but the problem is intermittent and he couldn't replicate it so no joy. It's a 2013 US version, 130k miles, engine/drivetrain are all stock.

When flooring (or nearly) the accelerator the truck won't shift reliably in the next gear and instead intermittently acts like it has a governor on it and RPM's will stop increasing - not transmission slipping or anything like that. RPM's will just stall and stay at, say 5k, and it will just do that until I let off the pedal and then it will shift just fine and accelerate more. It seems to be totally random - I can't find a pattern. Accelerating at a normal driving speed from a stop and it always shifts correctly - it's only when I get on the pedal hard. And it doesn't always stop at the same RPM's and it's not always between the same gears. It can happen going 70 on the interstate and floor it to pass someone and it will downshift and then just stop accelerating, RPM's will bounce like they're hitting a governor of some sort until the pedal is lifted slightly and it'll shift and then go back to normal. My limited knowledge makes me think it's an electrical/sensor issue rather than mechanical - the transmission isn't being told to shift properly in layman's terms.

Kind of a hard problem to accurately describe. Any ideas would be appreciated immensely.

Cheers,

I have a 2013 as well. When I punch it it shudders going into second gear. I took the LC to the dealer before the warranty was up and they did nothing about it. At least it’s documented.
I brought the issue to my local mechanic and he did a trans flush. Seems to have fixed the issue. Flush was done @ 70,000 miles.

I also have a 2013 LC. The only time I've ever experienced what you describe is when passing another vehicle on the highway while using the the Radar Cruise Control. After switching to normal cruise control exclusively, I have not noticed the problem.

If you can definitely rule out Cruise Control as the source of your problem, I can suggest a couple of things you might try:

- Switch ECT to Power and see if your problem persists
- Switch transmission to Sport 6 and see if your problem persists
- Switch transmission to Sport and manually shift up/down through the gears and see if your problem persists
- Switch ECT to Power and transmission to Sport 6 and see if your problem persists

That's all I've got. Good luck.

HTH

Thanks guys...

I should've mentioned I had a service done recently and they flushed the trans so I think that's a no go.

I've tried the ECT button and that didn't change anything. But I haven't tried the other combinations of sport 6/manual shifting..... I'll give that a shot in a few when I leave the house and see what happens.

Again, thanks for the input fellas.

Thanks guys...

I should've mentioned I had a service done recently and they flushed the trans so I think that's a no go.

I've tried the ECT button and that didn't change anything. But I haven't tried the other combinations of sport 6/manual shifting..... I'll give that a shot in a few when I leave the house and see what happens.

Again, thanks for the input fellas.
How recently? That's a starting point to check. Beings as it wasn't a Toyota dealership I would check on the work done. Chit happens.

Thanks guys...

I think the trans "flush" could have damaged the transmission. Was the proper Toyota ATF fluid put in after the "flush?"

Or, more optimistically, did you have your driveability issues BEFORE the trans flush, or did they show up AFTER the trans flush?

HTH

Right, "flush" isn't the right word... But the trans service was actually done by a Toyota dealership - that dealership is about an hour away so I took it to the local guy after the shifting problem got worse but he couldn't replicate it.. and it took me a min to think back but yes the issue had happened a couple of times right before the service and that didn't fix it. I did check the fluid level before I had it serviced, after the first time the shifting issue happened, and the level was correct, but haven't checked it after the service. I drove it this morning and it worked fine until after about 30min...so maybe it acts up once it's up to temp? Idk, just trying to find some kind of way to make it happen for the mechanic.

It seems like the Toyota dealership did a drain and fill. So only about 25 percent of the old fluid was replaced. I would have the dealership complete another drain and fill.

It seems like the Toyota dealership did a drain and fill. So only about 25 percent of the old fluid was replaced. I would have the dealership complete another drain and fill.

Ok I'll call the dealership back tomorrow and get it back in to be drained/refilled again and see if that helps. I wasn't super satisfied with their service (just telling me they had parts that they didn't have... Had to leave my truck there 2 extra days an hour drive away)... So that's why I went to the local guy that I trust for the shifting problem. But I'll give the dealership a call and see what they say.

Thanks, I'll report back if I get it figured out.

Ok I'll call the dealership back tomorrow and get it back in to be drained/refilled again and see if that helps. I wasn't super satisfied with their service (just telling me they had parts that they didn't have... Had to leave my truck there 2 extra days an hour drive away)... So that's why I went to the local guy that I trust for the shifting problem. But I'll give the dealership a call and see what they say.

Thanks, I'll report back if I get it figured out.
The parts issue isn't all that uncommon. The computer hasn't had it's morning coffee with the counter guy or the tech who used the last one but forgot to tell anyone. Personally I wouldn't ask for a drain and refill but rather describe the systems and say please diagnose. If you can manage to arrive with it acting up and ask for a tech to ride along it may help. Good luck, intermittent issues are a beach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom