2013 LX570 Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 2013 that's new to us. First 200 series that I've owned. Wife's daily driver. Brakes have been soft, spongy, and have had a long pedal throw since first driving it. None of my five previous 100 series trucks have exhibited this. Does not feel right in the 2013.

Is the accumulator pump supposed to kick on during/after every press of the pedal?

I drove it this weekend and noticed this behavior after every press. I could hear the pump turn on and off. In a few cases while coming to a stop at intersections: Hit the brakes. Long pedal throw before LX started to slow. With same pedal pressure applied I hear pump come on and LX noses down and slows more rapidly because of pressure increase from accumulator pump. Have to ease up on pedal a bit when this happens to make for a gentler stop.

Comments from prior experiences appreciated. A couple folks have chalked this up to 'Normal' behavior with these Toyota braking systems, but I'm not convinced. There have been a few dicey stops just driving in normal city traffic.

With same pedal pressure applied I hear pump come on and LX noses down and slows more rapidly because of pressure increase from accumulator pump. Have to ease up on pedal a bit when this happens to make for a gentler stop.

The 200 braking is quite different than the 100 and it takes getting use. It is more spongy initially but it senses how much pressure as well as how fast you apply the brakes to adjust how much it boosts the pressure from what I understand. What you are describing where you are getting different braking pressure at the same amount of pedal and hearing and feeling the accumulator kick in and out does not sound normal.

I have never felt that in either of ours. If you want to drive another one just to compare you are more than welcome to come by sometime since your in Denver also.

Also came from a 100 and noticed the long pedal travel and accumulator noise on all the LX570s I drove including the one I ended up buying. I think those two are normal, but I have not experienced the varying levels of pressure you are describing.

2013 LC200 here and have the same brake experience. Just bought the rig a few days ago and am currently researching braking options myself. One thread I found is for dropping the heavy duty version of the Tundra break pads/rotors, etc. Looking for the same answers as you! Congrats on the new (to you) truck.

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like there's a few diagnostic tests (generally speaking; build pressure, start vehicle, read pressures, stop vehicle, wait 15 minutes, read pressures...) that can be performed by dealer or someone with testing hardware/software. Planning to post what I find out as time goes on.

I've posted elsewhere how dissatisfied I am with brake feel on my 2011. Oddly, it always feels great after a bleed and then goes to heck within a couple of weeks. I installed speed bleeders a year or so ago to make the bleeding easier. Did a quick bleed a couple of weeks ago after an oil change and they felt awesome. For two weeks.

I have flushed the entire system and still, after a few weeks, I'm back to long pedal travel. I am starting to wonder if I need a the dealer to flush the system while activating the ABS controller...wondering if there has been air in the controller since new and it is slowly but regularly being released into the rest of the system.

Sounds normal, just like my 2011. Really it’s the only thing I don’t like about this vehicle. I will be going to TRD pads and SS brakelines when the time comes.

I replaced my rotors and pads and noticed a distinct improvement. Pads were replaced with Centric Fleet pads. The bite is great, but they're pretty dusty if that bothers you. Seem to have better intitial bite than the worn out pads removed, not sure what kind was on there before.

The 200 braking is quite different than the 100 and it takes getting use. It is more spongy initially but it senses how much pressure as well as how fast you apply the brakes to adjust how much it boosts the pressure from what I understand. What you are describing where you are getting different braking pressure at the same amount of pedal and hearing and feeling the accumulator kick in and out does not sound normal.

I have never felt that in either of ours. If you want to drive another one just to compare you are more than welcome to come by sometime since your in Denver also.

Thanks for that offer. I may take you up on it if I can't accomplish the same at a local dealer.

I have an 08 LX and a 16 LC, and I can tell you the 16 brakes FAR better than the 08. I had Lexus do a fluid flush and rear pads which helped quite a bit, but the pedal still has a long throw and isn't a sharp as the 16. You're welcome to swing by and drive my 08 to compare as well to benchmark how good/bad it is relative to yours. I'm in west Denver.

I have an '08 LX and I hate the brakes (my DD is a 2000 GS300 with stock rotors but aftermarket Akebone Perf pads). The GS brakes VERY well. The LX is relatively scary, at least for 'normal' stopping. I have found that it seems to do all right after a couple of stops and/or if I brake more aggressively (ie - somewhat slam on the brakes suddenly).

I'm still testing it out - only have 1k miles on it since I bought it. So still getting used to it and the new tires (KO2). I'm looking forward to replacing the rotors (factory) and pads (TRD) but I think I still have > 50% pad life left. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and just replace them now -- safety first.

The issue with the earlier cars with braking and pedal throw is not dictated by pads and rotors but how the master cylinder is designed.

Yes, the 200-series brakes do feel a bit different than most cars. And the pedal travel is longer again than most cars. I noticed it too when I first got the vehicle.

Is this really a problem?

I alternate between my Porsche 911 turbo which have arguable some of the best brakes on the planet, and the LX570, daily.

After the initial getting use the to LX brakes, it's been a non-issue. It's brakes are linear and strong. I'll say I had to get use to the Porsche brakes as well as they are on the opposite end of the spectrum to most cars. Heck, my wife's EV brakes differently again due to regen blended with mechanical brakes.

The best "upgrade" is to the driver IMO. Just put in some more time behind the wheel. Unless it's just a maintenance issue as brakes are a wear item and need to be serviced.

The best "upgrade" is to the driver IMO. Just put in some more time behind the wheel. Unless it's just a maintenance issue as brakes are a wear item and need to be serviced.

Agree with this, I got used to it pretty quickly. Even driving other cars back to back my brain seems to automatically adjusts to the brakes in the LX without even thinking about it. Have never felt like the vehicle is lacking in ultimate stopping power when you really need it, its just that the pedal is tuned differently.

Good info everyone.

If I can narrow the scope of my complaint to one thing, it would be the accumulator pump. It does not seem normal to me for the pump to run every time I depress the brake. Also odd was the noticeable impact the pressure, provided by pump while running, had on braking; requiring me to let off the pedal for a smooth stop.

Anyone have some technical insight as to what may be going on there? Normal? Or am I on to something that may need some preventative maintenance?

2015 LX and I have to say the brakes are terrible. Long throw, soft pressure, than hard non linear bite. Worst brakes on any car I have ever owned. I find them rather dangerous in high speed highly congested freeway driving which is my daily norm. Had dealer flush the brake lines at 15K miles and it slightly improved for a few weeks. I think it is just a fundamentally bad design. I travel a lot and rent a lot of cars and there is no car brand with brakes that behave this way. I still have a 2000LX and it is a far better driving vehicle.

I upgraded my pads to StopTech Sport (they OEM the TRD pads) and it transformed the vehicle. I also put on new cryo treated stoptech rotors at the same time. I’m very pleased now.

Here are the parts:
Pads: StopTech Street Sport (TRD OEM)
Front 309.13030
Rear 309.13040
Rotors: Centric Cryo Treated
Front: 120.44162CRY
Rear: 120.44157CRY

Last edited:
I have a 2014 LC, so different braking system, but this may help some of you if it is an option. I was not happy with the original brakes on the LC, so I contacted Brian JOWETT on mud and ordered his Tundra Big Brake kit for the front. I have been told the 2016 LC got this same sized larger rotor and caliper, and this completely transformed the feel of the brakes on my LC- I have been extremely happy with this mod and it is likely the best mod for the money I have made on this vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom