2011 Tundra for $15,500? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lurching around here from the 80 forums, need a little advice for dad.

I have a 97 LC, 2013 4Runner. Between me and my father, we've owned 9 Toyotas ranging from camrys and highlanders to siennas and tundras. We're sold on the brand. On Tuesday, he hydroplaned off an interstate and totaled his 2006 Tundra 4.7 liter with 210K miles. Still working things out with the insurance company. He only uses it to pull a 16 ft enclosed trailer with his lawn equipment. Probably only drives 10K miles per year. The questions is how much should he spend on a high mileage replacement?

He's looking at a 2011 Tundra Limited crewmax 2WD with the 5.7 and 230K miles for $15,500 asking price. Truck looks to be in great condition with new Michelin tires. This is the best deal we've spotted so far. Owner claims it's all highway miles and based on paint, bed interior, and body condition, I believe him.

Does this price sound fair? What specific problems do I need to look for before beginning negotiations? What is considered high mileage on these trucks? (remember, I come from the 80 series side where 200K is low mileage). When should I expect to rebuild this engine?

Thanks for all feedback
Clayton

What region are you in?

That sounds expensive as heck, and I’m in WA state. We’re expensive as a region.

It would have to be 4WD to even start sounding reasonable.
For example, my BIL was hunting Ford trucks & we found a black ‘12 or ‘13 Raptor Crewcab w/185K on it for $9K. It was mainly fwy miles too, BIL just didn’t want a Raptor, but interior & paint was a solid 7/10.

Tacomas hold resale here like nuts, but even a private sale used Tundra RW was average of $25 for average miles & cond.

For full transparency I paid $30K for my ‘12 Tundra CM with mods in Jan ‘17.
It had 58K on it & still had faint “new car” smell & perfect black paint/clean title/all records/1 prior owner.
It’s the Rock Warrior 4WD pkg, so fabric seats but had the optional moonroof & tow package. It was exactly what I was after, so between options & condition/miles it was worth $5K more to me.

Quick CL of $15K Tundra here:

2008 Toyota Tundra 4x4 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

I think it might be a 4.7 - I am not sure but I think all 3UR’s ar the floor shift, not on the column — — don’t quote me on that though.

But it was 4WD & ~60% the miles of the one you mentioned.

Another on a car lot:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/2008-toyota-tundra-crewmax/6612755463.html

————— Between those 2 alone that $15K 2WD Tundra isn’t worth bothering, both these were in the ~130K range.

Last edited:
Last week I bought a 2015 CPO tundra limited, puff, puff...

But next to mine was an 07 double cab, blue, dead mint 4X4 Tundra with 98K miles. It was dealer maintained from day one, the cloth gray interior was like brand new, one small dent on the side. It had a new frame, shocks, gas tank, lines, springs and probably more. I looked really hard at that truck and it sold right after I bought mine. The dealer wanted $16,500 which I thought was a really good price.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom