2011 LX with 96KM - Lexus Dealer says AHC Pump failed during flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

s t

Threads
Ok for all 200 gurus. car is low KM, BC, Canada. not a single rust. always dealer maintained and 96Km , not miles
took it to lexus dealerfor oil change/ brake fluid change, diff flush etc. AHC worked good and I always "exercised" it . not a single code on the dash.

friday afternoon dealer calls and says they can not get the pump to flush out the oil.
they called monday and they saif the pump is toast and 5500CAD for pump only. right away, they said they can provide 20% discount.

I presume the tech did not know what was he/she doing and ran the pump dry.

What questions should I ask? my position is I should not be paying for the messup and they should use the shop insurance to cover this. How do I rectify this?

Thanks

That sux. Your position is correct. Maybe pm @eatSleepWoof to get the low down on his very similar story.

Reactions: s t
-Ask what procedures they completed, in person, and document their response. It may be worthwhile to familiarize yourself with the factory procedure first.
-Ask how many times the technician has completed the proceedure on other LX's
-Definitely escalate the issue to dealership management... was this Jim Pattison Lexus, Richmond, or Regency?
-Keep in mind that the pump might not be "toast", and there may just be air in the system which is very difficult to purge.
-Don't accept their lame discount, as you can buy one on-line for $1500 CAD shipped (before import taxes):

This lack of competent service on flagship models is an unfortunate circumstance that's all too common. I'm hoping the stealership will sort this out properly for you. in the future, consider doing your own maintenance on the AHC (it's infrequent, and relatively straightforward).

Don't trust the dealer, they don't know how to handle it.
They wanted to replace everything for me!!
tap the up arrow and then press off, go on with this process a few times as long as you don't make a mistake. You will see the pump bleed

Most dealers are idiots and have no idea how to bleed or even service the ahc system. I went to get my truck from New country Lexus and it wouldn't go out of low mode. The techs immediate response is....."it was working fine when I just had it". I had to sit there and explain this to the ding dong and the service manager that there is air in the lines . After arguing with them and saying my truck was fine when I dropped it off, I told them to bleed each valve of the ahc because there is air in the system. They took 4 hours to bleed the ahc so it worked normally, it took them 6 hours to flush and do the ahc correctly.

My long rambling post is coming to its end the cliff noted version is 99% of dealers are idiots, they only higher people with certifications and bull****. They don't care how much knowledge or experience you have they only want mechanics that are "book smart" if that makes sense.

You brought the vehicle in with a working pump, it is now not working while under their care. They f'd it and want you to pay for it. They need to pay for it.

Just tell them you don't want the service and that they need to return the vehicle to you in its original state (working AHC pump). Then go elsewhere.

It sounds like if one is bringing an LX to a dealership/shop for AHC service, it would be wise on the front end to walk out to the vehicle with the service advisor and operate the AHC system in front of him/her. Demonstrate that the system is functioning properly to them, and have them note the same in writing on the service ticket. No dash lights, no problems with AHC when the vehicle was dropped off. That would seem to be a good place to start.
I'm not saying this to criticize the OP, but to help others who are reading this try to avoid a similar problem for themselves.

It sounds like if one is bringing an LX to a dealership/shop for AHC service, it would be wise on the front end to walk out to the vehicle with the service advisor and operate the AHC system in front of him/her. Demonstrate that the system is functioning properly to them, and have them note the same in writing on the service ticket. No dash lights, no problems with AHC when the vehicle was dropped off. That would seem to be a good place to start.
I'm not saying this to criticize the OP, but to help others who are reading this try to avoid a similar problem for themselves.

Or just dont ever do that…

Honestly it’s one of the easiest fluids to change. Slightly harder than the 100, but still easily done with basic tools.

I mean like 30 min and it can be done without disaster at home.

Or just dont ever do that…

Honestly it’s one of the easiest fluids to change. Slightly harder than the 100, but still easily done with basic tools.

I mean like 30 min and it can be done without disaster at home.

Just FYI, i get cozy with my dealer for parts / side business…

You know what both local dealers spec by the book for an AHC service? 2 quarts…

Yeah, no thanks. It needs at least 3x that amount to do correctly.

So even those whose dealer service didnt nuke their system, just dont trust anything they say or do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom