2011 LC200 Rust Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have been trying to give the 200 some love since guying it a few weeks ago. This week was to tackle the mild surface rust starting to spread a little more than I'd like. As a texas native I've never had to deal too much with rust prevention. I've had to cut and weld a fair amount of new metal in my project cruisers from up north. The rust on this 200 was extremely minimal, only starting to poke through on the welds along the frame and near hard to reach areas.

Truck was a Colorado truck for a while, spent a year in Pennsylvania and the rest of it's life in Oklahoma. I wanted to color match the rear ARB bumper with the rest of the truck at this time also since the bumper would be off. The rear cross member was the worst part of the whole truck. I expected this as theres really not a good/easy way to rinse off any part of it.
I started by removing any flaking or loose rust with a wire brush and wire wheel. Read some good reviews on Rustoleum's Rust dissolver gel so I gave that a shot. I followed the instructions to a T by lightly rinsing with water prior to applying to help with breaking the surface tension. I also used a medium and small sized paint brush to apply the gel as I noticed I didnt waste as much product this was and was able to apply it a lot more accurately as well.
Waited 30 minutes, reapplied to any areas that still needed a little help. Did this several times until all rust was dissolved. rinsed with a soapy water solution and let dry for a day. The next day I wiped everything off with alcohol and sprayed the first two coats with rustoleum rust reformer. Let that dry and then did one last heavy coat of a basic satin black.

I think it turned out pretty well and believe the products performed well and as advertised. Easy to use and work with. Let me know what yall guys think or what i should have done differently. I like learning new/better ways to do things. I just wanted to share my experience with these products as well as hopefully encouraging someone else with a 200 to give their truck some loving and do some preventative maintenance when it comes to rust treatment so we can keep enjoying these trucks for years to come. Pictures will be uploaded ASAP!
Cheers guys

200 rust.jpg
200 paint 5.jpg
200 paint 6.jpg
200 paint 8.jpg
200 paint 10.jpg

That’s my old truck. Oklahoma did a number on it as far as rust. Still nothing terrible. Looks great. I’m really glad it’s in the right persons hand to care for it properly.

I built it, if you have any questions just let me know

That’s my old truck. Oklahoma did a number on it as far as rust. Still nothing terrible. Looks great. I’m really glad it’s in the right persons hand to care for it properly.

I built it, if you have any questions just let me know
Truck is built well. Lot's of plans for her in the future. It will definitely get the 5 star treatment as long as its in my garage. A few trips planned this summer up to SW CO and hopefully Utah as well.

This came out looking really good and makes me want to get started on the same thing with my LC. Did you hit the side rails with the remover and then paint as well?

This came out looking really good and makes me want to get started on the same thing with my LC. Did you hit the side rails with the remover and then paint as well?
Yes sir. Hit everything with the rust dissolver from front to back and did some light sanding with a scotch pad to give the paint some good adhesion.
Took a good part of a Saturday in my case. About 8 hours total

That doesn't sound too bad. How much masking off did you have to do?

@SnowSquatch congrats on the new to you 200, it looks great. A new 4Runner and a 200 within a few weeks of each other, good for you! Can I ask which front bumper that is? Also, I am getting mad Plano, TX vibes based off of the alley and red stain fences haha.

@Killacaviar Can I ask why you sold the LC? It looks like you still have another 200 so that's nice. Which fender flares are those and did you install them?

@SnowSquatch congrats on the new to you 200, it looks great. A new 4Runner and a 200 within a few weeks of each other, good for you! Can I ask which front bumper that is? Also, I am getting mad Plano, TX vibes based off of the alley and red stain fences haha.

@Killacaviar Can I ask why you sold the LC? It looks like you still have another 200 so that's nice. Which fender flares are those and did you install them?
It’s a trail tailor bumper with a come up 12.5.

The truck wasn’t for sale and someone in Oklahoma offered a bit above covid prices for the truck. So I bit and convinced myself I needed wanted to start over.

My intention was to slide into and build a 2016+ LX or LC as the family trail rig.

I stumbled upon a one owner 2010 lx for below 20k with 100k on the clock so I impulse bought that.

I love the LC and regret selling it. it needed some small mods to round it out but was for the most part where I needed it (we had an opus at the time)

With that said, I’m loving the LX, I don’t worry about trail damage and with the AHC mods I have done I was able to squeeze more travel out of the LX AHC than the LC on Kings. Also I can probably put 60-80k miles in the truck and still get what I paid for it.

I’m not picky, a 200 is a 200 in my book, the LC badge is always nice but not a necessity for me. Plus the differences become less and less noticeable the more you start modding and tearing into them. I will say I miss the silver…

We like the travel trailer life at the moment with 2 kids under 5 and another on the way. Honestly, the OP lite is the perfect set up for us at this stage. We do mainly 2-3 day trips in CO/Utah. Pair that with a lite build with tons of travel, gears and lockers and I’m happy.

They are all fun, they are all capable and that silver 200 is a super functional build that stands out from your typical Dissent or ARB builds (flairs were the southern dealer add on) they look great with 35s in my opinion.

Snow has himself a nice rig that should serve him well for many years. I’m just glad it’s back on MUD and being well cared for (so is my wife).

It’s a trail tailor bumper with a come up 12.5.

The truck wasn’t for sale and someone in Oklahoma offered a bit above covid prices for the truck. So I bit and convinced myself I needed wanted to start over.

My intention was to slide into and build a 2016+ LX or LC as the family trail rig.

I stumbled upon a one owner 2010 lx for below 20k with 100k on the clock so I impulse bought that.

I love the LC and regret selling it. it needed some small mods to round it out but was for the most part where I needed it (we had an opus at the time)

With that said, I’m loving the LX, I don’t worry about trail damage and with the AHC mods I have done I was able to squeeze more travel out of the LX AHC than the LC on Kings. Also I can probably put 60-80k miles in the truck and still get what I paid for it.

I’m not picky, a 200 is a 200 in my book, the LC badge is always nice but not a necessity for me. Plus the differences become less and less noticeable the more you start modding and tearing into them. I will say I miss the silver…

We like the travel trailer life at the moment with 2 kids under 5 and another on the way. Honestly, the OP lite is the perfect set up for us at this stage. We do mainly 2-3 day trips in CO/Utah. Pair that with a lite build with tons of travel, gears and lockers and I’m happy.

They are all fun, they are all capable and that silver 200 is a super functional build that stands out from your typical Dissent or ARB builds (flairs were the southern dealer add on) they look great with 35s in my opinion.

Snow has himself a nice rig that should serve him well for many years. I’m just glad it’s back on MUD and being well cared for (so is my wife).

They are extremely similar, especially in those early years, the aesthetics were nearly identical, that all changed in 2016. I am the opposite of yourself, we sold the LX for the LC, we prefer the non-AHC truck, all good either way. Sliders are BB I'm assuming? Good to see it back in the community for sure, I hope @SnowSquatch continues to fine tune the build.

They are extremely similar, especially in those early years, the aesthetics were nearly identical, that all changed in 2016. I am the opposite of yourself, we sold the LX for the LC, we prefer the non-AHC truck, all good either way. Sliders are BB I'm assuming? Good to see it back in the community for sure, I hope @SnowSquatch continues to fine tune the build.
Jason’s sliders as well

Also, don't get me wrong. High End Conventional Suspension is superior especially for the fast stuff. I went LX knowing I could delete AHC if I needed and have considered it many times. I know I will some day, probably next year I'll go all out. But a pre 16 lx with lockers, 4.88s, shock mount relocations, a body lift, 35s and a +20 or less offset is the best bang for your buck IMO.

P.S. That Rustoleum Rust Dissolver and a little bit of time seems to go a long way, I will 100% be trying this out.

Just up the road in Melissa. North texas home builders have a hard time breaking the mold of their cookie cutter houses and layouts lol.
The 200 will definitely continue to get the royal treatment. Hopefully getting some new shoes underneath her next month and after that if I get some free time I plan on building a swing out for the rear so I can get a full size spare to tag along with the truck. Love the look of it though and like killacaviar said it doesn’t have the basic arb/dissent look that 98% of the others have. (Nothing against the look of those as they’re bad a$$ in their own way. Just not as unique.

I’ve got some 1/8” thick abs plastic that I’m going to try and mold into the front fender wells and rear wells to protect a few bits that are a little exposed. I’ll make sure to post pictures in the 200 thread as well when I knock that out.

We’ve got a 1 year old baby girl at the moment so there will be a lot of great memories made running out west with the family. Would be cool to meet up one day and reacquaint you and the 200.

Just up the road in Melissa. North texas home builders have a hard time breaking the mold of their cookie cutter houses and layouts lol.
The 200 will definitely continue to get the royal treatment. Hopefully getting some new shoes underneath her next month and after that if I get some free time I plan on building a swing out for the rear so I can get a full size spare to tag along with the truck. Love the look of it though and like killacaviar said it doesn’t have the basic arb/dissent look that 98% of the others have. (Nothing against the look of those as they’re bad a$$ in their own way. Just not as unique.

I’ve got some 1/8” thick abs plastic that I’m going to try and mold into the front fender wells and rear wells to protect a few bits that are a little exposed. I’ll make sure to post pictures in the 200 thread as well when I knock that out.

We’ve got a 1 year old baby girl at the moment so there will be a lot of great memories made running out west with the family. Would be cool to meet up one day and reacquaint you and the 200.
We have a 4, 2 and another on the way… and all girls at the moment.

We are here in Golden, so if you ever swing by Slee let me know. I’m about 2 miles from them. Also a mile off 70 if you make your way west that way

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom