2011 Christmas tree cutting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I made it out on Sat and our group was myself, David H. and Sam. We pulled out a Honda element and a Honda Accord on 325. Amazing what people drive down these roads. I was listening to Luke on the HAM radio up north and it sounded like they performed several self rescues on 327. Kind of sounded like the Keystone cops up there :D. I know Jeff pulled out a couple of people on 325 before we got to the Accord and I think the FS closed 325 after that. I headed home with Peggy sometime after 2:00.

Any other reports/pics from today or yesterday?

I didn't get up there this morning - had a sick dog to take care of. I did get up with the family late this afternoon - bought our permit @ 2:30. Ran down the 300U/300V loop and found a nice tree. It was a little squirrely coming up unchained at street pressure, but kept it exciting! Ran into kanudude up from Pueblo in his nice red 40 at the Western - said he was the only one who showed up at the Western this morning.

On Saturday Luke, Mike and myself played around on 327 in the morning. My wifes scout was the only rig that needed to get pulled out. While on our way to a call about stuck vehicles on 325 we found a GMC Yukon that the folks locked the keys in the car. Luke was able to open the door with his 5/8 ham wip antenna. The HAM radio saved lives yet again...... One of the little girls that was there had cold wet feet so the my girls gave her their clean dry spare socks.

On a side note about HAM radios we found out the hand helds work fine for talking to each other in a group but the modile units could talk to people in the Springs on simplex. I need to get me a mobile unit.

On a side note about HAM radios we found out the hand helds work fine for talking to each other in a group but the modile units could talk to people in the Springs on simplex. I need to get me a mobile unit.

If you had a hand held connected to a mag mount with a good ground plane I bet you would have gotten out just fine. Antennas make a HUGE difference. I was hitting the Springs on 5 watts (minimum power on my mobile), your HT will put out 5 watts. You can borrow mine to test before you make that investment. Unless you are just looking for an excuse to get a new radio.:D

All good hams need at least one more radio to build the perfect shack. At this time you are working on your mobile ham shack.

Was about 15:00 by that point, and I had done all the sitting I could handle - still paying for it actually. Just after I got the chains off and was going to turn in my forest service radio and sign, I ran into a guy who said there was somebody stuck in the bottom of 323. I raised Luke and Tomas on the radio and told them about it, then listened to them on the repeater all the way down into the springs! What did you guys find down there? I was out of the truck before I heard any resolution.

We found a BIG mess. We drove through 323 and then 324. About 1/2 mile from the end of 324 we drove up on a line of trucks. We could not see the end of them. Out of the vehicles we walk a bit and came across a Honda SUV with street tires that could not make the final climb back to the 2 way section. Had had slid to this inside of a corner and could not go forward. There was an unchained 80 that had a snatch strap on him and was confidant that he could pull him out. Even though I new he would fail it was easiest to let him give it a go. Once the 80 was unhooked and sent on his was we backed the Honda up and out of the way on the out side of the corner.

With the Honda out of the way we then had each one of the queued up trucks make there own run up and through the turn. We directed them all to take a wide line and directed them through. It must have take 20 minutes to get all the backed up traffic cleared.

With the traffic cleared we put a strap on the Honda and pulled it up the last hill. We were more like traffic cops getting all the bystanders cleared, half of which wanted to giving a try at pulling the Honda up.

What a way to finish the day. Had we come into 324 from the top we would have save at least an hour.

We found a BIG mess. We drove through 323 and then 324. About 1/2 mile from the end of 324 we drove up on a line of trucks. We could not see the end of them. Out of the vehicles we walk a bit and came across a Honda SUV with street tires that could not make the final climb back to the 2 way section. Had had slid to this inside of a corner and could not go forward. There was an unchained 80 that had a snatch strap on him and was confidant that he could pull him out. Even though I new he would fail it was easiest to let him give it a go. Once the 80 was unhooked and sent on his was we backed the Honda up and out of the way on the out side of the corner.

With the Honda out of the way we then had each one of the queued up trucks make there own run up and through the turn. We directed them all to take a wide line and directed them through. It must have take 20 minutes to get all the backed up traffic cleared.

With the traffic cleared we put a strap on the Honda and pulled it up the last hill. We were more like traffic cops getting all the bystanders cleared, half of which wanted to giving a try at pulling the Honda up.

What a way to finish the day. Had we come into 324 from the top we would have save at least an hour.

I was wondering about that --- whether it would work better to go the wrong way into the one-way section.

Heard you guys on that 324 thing over the radio, that did sound like a mess. Thanks for coming out and giving a hand with your FJ. Nice to see a new face and get some extra hands. Tom right? I ran into a lot of new people on these weekends. Attendance was outstanding this year, most I've seen in the 4 years I've been out.
Had a lot of fun with the kid and the dog cruising around. Never got to pull anyone out, but got to work an accident and open a car with a radio antenna, so points for that.

Ok we WILL be up there saturday but probably not till around 10-11am. Is there someplace to meet up like the base camp Luke had suggested?

The volunteer schedule only covers the first two weekends in December. We won't be out this weekend. There will still be plenty of people up, so go have some fun if you've already set aside some time. I would love to come out and ride with you, but I've already got family obligations.

The Christmas Tree Cutting Program ended on Wednesday (the 14th). Anyone still up there cutting trees is asking for big trouble. There aren't even any valid firewood permits. Probably the only people up there this weekend will be shooters and partiers.

Lol crap. Well me, wifey and trevor is a maybe wil be up there

Expletives!
Why end it in the middle of the week? Now im gonna have to be the grinch.

Another Forest may have a later end date. Might be worth checking around.

Will do thanks for the idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom