200K Maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have a link or part numbers for the rubber bushings you are talking about? Other than the front and rear control arms, sway links and panhard bar.

Everything you listed scares the crap out of me to take on! But do you have part numbers for these? Especially the hoses.

There are many of you that already know this, but while I am very mechanically inclined (hell I did aircraft maintenance for over 15 years in the Air Force), auto mechanicing scares me to death! Especially since my truck is my daily driver. I really like the comments that basically say if it isn't broke, don't fix it as some of these items might seems a little bit overkill. But again, that might be because it's intimidating to me to take some of this stuff on. Hell...I yanked out my AHC and replaced it with a Tough Dog suspension from @TRAIL TAILOR and I had to spend one whole day figuring out the damn torsion bars! That's with all the resources from this board, Google, You Tube, and my poor friends I kept texting and talking to on the phone during the whole process! @CreasyBear @LonghornLX @atnolan94 @mattafact @DirtDawg sure did have a good time giving me crap during the whole time they were offering support and help! So I can only imagine what a 90K service will do to me! Anything that has to do with the engine and transmission just really scares me...It not like I won't do it, but it is scary to think about doing anything with the timing!

I appreciate all of your comments, keep them coming! Maybe this can help others with a 2006 since there is a lot of info for pre 06's out there on all of this stuff!

I could dig them up, but they might not apply since you've got a VVTI. Do yourself a favor and spend some time on ToyoDIY after you make a profile. Great parts site for finding part numbers by using the legit Toyota parts diagrams.

I have no idea what the difference is between the VVTi engine and the previous years. Does anyone know if the 2004 FSM will work for doing a 90K service on a 2006 engine?

I would invest in an FSM for your exact model. Reprints are on ebay for under a couple hundred or you can go full "legit" OEM books for a few hundred more. They'll pay for themselves in one job. I'm a forum addict and very seasoned DIY home mechanic (full engine builds to body and paint to audio to home-made engine wire harnesses, etc...), but I still look up any job more involved than an oil change in that manual before I start wrenching. It's the only way to ensure you're doing things "right", or not forgetting steps here and there, IMO.

I’m also replacing the 250k alternator along with the TB stuff

Mine went bad, unexpectedly around 250k. It's probably a great idea to do it as a preventative measure around that time if yours hasn't already gone bad. My failure was incredibly inconvenient and left me semi-stranded out of state. It cost me hundreds more than it would have had I done it at home, cost me a day of vacation, removed the possibility for me to do an upgrade, etc...

Last edited:
I have no idea what the difference is between the VVTi engine and the previous years. Does anyone know if the 2004 FSM will work for doing a 90K service on a 2006 engine?

I used the 2004 pdf as a guide when I did my 90k. It worked out ok, but there were moments where the appropriate manual would've helped. As far as the differences, the vvti motor makes changing out cam seals a much bigger job so hopefully yours are still dry.

I would invest in an FSM for your exact model. Reprints are on ebay for under a couple hundred or you can go full "legit" OEM books for a few hundred more.

I'm with you on this, after searching for a few months, I found a set of 2007 manuals + EWD on eBay for a reasonable price so I jumped on them and have not regretted the purchase. Aaron, if you run into a vvt-i specific issue, feel free to PM me and I can send you the pages you need.

My question is; what am I missing.

Since I'm spending your money, how's your fuel pump and fuel filter? 🍺

Can't speak to the FSM but I have this bookmarked for when I attempt a 90k. Best video I've seen for a TB service.

Since I'm spending your money, how's your fuel pump and fuel filter? 🍺

I've added the filter to the list...no idea about the pump though.

I think I am going to break this all down to two categories. One being, do before HIH (#insiderhih9), and the other being kind of a back burner thing. 90K and CVs being a must do before HIH.

I think I need to also try to find an FSM for 2006 LX...coming from aircraft maintenance, we had step by step instructions to do everything, and seeing pictures with instructions does help a lot!

I have FSM's for my 01. I use the forum for DIY tricks and use the FSM as a supplement/torque settings/fluid level adj/check.

I replaced a fuel filter at around 100k. Looked brand new when I took it apart. Unless you are in the third world pumping gas from 55 gallon drums or working a fuel problem I wouldn't bother.

I am definitely in the "If it's not broke don't fix it camp'". On an older vehicle you could poor money into it and still have a problem that requires replacement. You bought Toyota for dependability why not count on that.

Old rubber in the suspension is worth replacing for ride quality though. Fluid changes and checks are cheap, easy and required.

Check air filter and cabin air filter. The cabin ones get nasty.

I got a lot of driving improvement by removing slack from the throttle cable at the APPS. The slack was visible and fix only required a wrench.

The nice thing about the real FSM is you can do real troubleshooting and diagnosis rather than just parts replacement.

A good interior cleaning and exterior detail followed by a trip to the Toyota Dealer to look at the window sticker on a new cruiser always makes me happy with my 100.

Last edited:
Has anybody found a legit place to download a 2006 LX FSM online?

I've added the filter to the list...no idea about the pump though.

I think I am going to break this all down to two categories. One being, do before HIH (#insiderhih9), and the other being kind of a back burner thing. 90K and CVs being a must do before HIH.

I think I need to also try to find an FSM for 2006 LX...coming from aircraft maintenance, we had step by step instructions to do everything, and seeing pictures with instructions does help a lot!
@aaronrules I did my fuel filter yesterday. Was as easy and straightforward as folks said. I did it because I was getting a lagging feeling while cruising on the interstate. Pushing on the gas pedal seemed to clear it up for another couple of weeks, but then it would come back. Never stranded me but figured the fuel filter (205,000 miles) was both cheap enough and easy enough to do.

I was very glad to have a 14mm line wrench. First time tightening the fuel line it leaked. Tightened up more and now it is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom