For Sale 2009 Land Cruiser, Brand New (0 miles) engine. $29,000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am selling my 2009 LC with 81,000 miles on the car but with a new engine being installed at my local Toyota Dealership where it was purchased by the original owner then by me when the owner traded it in. I drove through a largish puddle and the original engine sucked in water and I had it replaced with a new engine. The car was NEVER submerged or anything close to it. The water I drove through was about halfway up the wheels and well below the running boards which I checked several times as I drove through it by opening the driver door. I knew the street very well so was aware of the water level and was surprised when about a mile away the motor started sputtering. I shut everything down right away but to no avail, the damage was done. It bears repeating that water never even came close to entering the car. The body has under 81,000 miles, is in splendid condition, no pets ever, my kids are older, never had a car seat in it - so no cheerios, no spills, eating in the car was never allowed (I'm THAT guy), and the car has a brand new engine. The car has only been serviced since new at the same dealership it was purchased from. It comes with an extended warranty, and it has always had regularly scheduled maintenance. Comes with 2 sets of wheels, the OEM ones you see in these photos as well as a set of 2012 wheels (powder coated black) with BFG AT KO's. I am only selling it because I have put a deposit on a Mercedes Sprinter 4x4. Car is located in Connecticut.

lc2.jpg

lc1.jpg

lc3.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to see undercarriage pictures as well as interior shots. Thanks!

Does the incident show up on the Carfax? Does it show that it’s a “flood” vehicle? It may be worth the cost to get a Carfax and post it up to allay any concerns there.

That is a good question and one I started discussing with my insurance company (Liberty Mutual). The cost of the engine replacement is close to $20,000 and I was told that the insurance company doesn't control what gets put on Carfax or services like it but a repair of this magnitude does show up on a report, how it is classified I cannot say for sure. What I will do is get as much documentation from the Toyota dealership as I can (possibly a notarized affidavit?) as to the fact that the car was never submerged, that no water ever came close to entering the vehicle. Also, to OK this type of repair, there was is an inspection report from the adjuster as well as very thorough notes from the dealer, all of which will be provided to the buyer and I will authorize them to release any and all information necessary to interested parties, to have as complete a discussion as to the condition of the vehicle.

I am selling my 2009 LC with 81,000 miles on the car but with a new engine being installed at my local Toyota Dealership where it was purchased by the original owner then by me when the owner traded it in. I drove through a largish puddle and the original engine sucked in water and I had it replaced with a new engine. The car was NEVER submerged or anything close to it. The water I drove through was about halfway up the wheels and well below the running boards which I checked several times as I drove through it by opening the driver door. I knew the street very well so was aware of the water level and was surprised when about a mile away the motor started sputtering. I shut everything down right away but to no avail, the damage was done. It bears repeating that water never even came close to entering the car. The body has under 81,000 miles, is in splendid condition, no pets ever, my kids are older, never had a car seat in it - so no cheerios, no spills, eating in the car was never allowed (I'm THAT guy), and the car has a brand new engine. The car has only been serviced since new at the same dealership it was purchased from. It comes with an extended warranty, and it has always had regularly scheduled maintenance. Comes with 2 sets of wheels, the OEM ones you see in these photos as well as a set of 2012 wheels (powder coated black) with BFG AT KO's. I am only selling it because I have put a deposit on a Mercedes Sprinter 4x4. Car is located in Connecticut.

View attachment 1798598

View attachment 1798599

View attachment 1798600
can

View attachment 1798598

View attachment 1798599

View attachment 1798600
PM sent

I don't want to derail this classified thread, but could someone explain to me via private message how going through water half way up to the tires can cause a 200 engine fatality?

And, to the original poster, I'm not in any way saying that I don't believe your story. I don't know very much when it comes to the new LCs and am genuinely curious.

Thank you all.

I don't want to derail this classified thread, but could someone explain to me via private message how going through water half way up to the tires can cause a 200 engine fatality?

And, to the original poster, I'm not in any way saying that I don't believe your story. I don't know very much when it comes to the new LCs and am genuinely curious.

Thank you all.

I will try to get that answer for you as I have come to think of my Land Cruiser as indestructible and was as surprised as anyone. A quick call to the service rep (not the technician) said water was sucked into the engine either through a "breather tube" or air intake. Because the air filter is so high on the engine it challenges my understanding of physics as I stand by the statement that the water was only about half way up the wheel and certainly below the door I had open as I crawled through to be certain I wasn't too deep. Again, I drove through fine only to sputter about a mile down the road when I felt something was very wrong and turned off the engine. Wish I could tell you specifics but can't - yet. At some point this week I wouldn't mind getting the answer so I'll drop in and ask and let everyone know.

Last edited:
Wouldn't Toyota install a refurbished/remanufactured engine? What does your paperwork say?

I'm curious, how did the engine suck up water if it was only fording through about 14" of water (i.e. half way up the wheel as you say)? These trucks can handle up to 32" per the manufacturer, and heck, just the other week during the hurricane in NC I went (slowly) through water that was at the height of the wheels - no problem. Just doesn't make sense?

My guess is that it stalled and when it did water was sucked in.

I don't think it happens often but possible if he kept slowing to check the water level.

Water gets sucked in through the exhaust if you let go of the gas while going through the water when your tailpipe is submerged. Depending on how much it can make it to the engine and seize it.
Lived in an area that got hit by monsoons every year and some streets would be flooded for days. Very common to attach hose/piping on the end of the tail pipe temporarily to raise it above the water level to be able to drive around without popping a engine till the water went down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom