Builds 2008 LX Live Camera Car and Overlanding Build. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@USMCVader hey bud i apparently had 4 mics on is why it was deafening, sorry you had to hear that. Also just saw your messages in chat because i didnt have stream open on phone so didn't see chat. Sound is fixed and getting back to finishing up the install now. Really appreciate you stopping by! Going to relaunch the stream real quick since sound is fixed.

Dangcat, I watched for as long as I could, but it started looking like it was going to rain so I jumped off to mow the grass. Having followed this thread since you started it, I really wanted to see your forklift maneuvers, never know when someone is going to run the forks through whatever is front of them, LOL. You did great though, handy tool to have available. Also was glad to see your dog, your other pictures don’t do him justice, he is much bigger than I expected. Well behaved too! As for your awning, I hope it serves you well. I am considering getting one, but that is far down the running list I have for what I want to do with my LC.

Dangcat, I watched for as long as I could, but it started looking like it was going to rain so I jumped off to mow the grass. Having followed this thread since you started it, I really wanted to see your forklift maneuvers, never know when someone is going to run the forks through whatever is front of them, LOL. You did great though, handy tool to have available. Also was glad to see your dog, your other pictures don’t do him justice, he is much bigger than I expected. Well behaved too! As for your awning, I hope it serves you well. I am considering getting one, but that is far down the running list I have for what I want to do with my LC.i

Thanks for the kind words brother, and I apologize again for the sound quality as well as all the down time of me fixing stuff/testing stream. Thank you for the company as well and I’ll try to pay more attention to chat next time.

I’m leaving the hardware store now, hope these are the right nuts. Also, beautiful day for a bike ride!

I think I have all the right pieces to finish the install now. Just gotta take the mounts back off 1 last time and inch them a little closer to the edge. It’s a tight fit for the inner mount since it has to go over the plastic cover on the crossbar.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now that I’ve spent hours doing it the hard way, I at least have enough footage to show the easy way to do it. It is a tight fit!

I’m going to wait til tomorrow to open it up for the first time and hook up the light bar and room, so I can share the experience.

And thank you to anyone who stopped by the stream today. It will only get better from here. If anyone watches the VODs, please mute it for first few videos while I was figuring out the sound and etc. Best to just not watch them. I’ll put out a separate video for installation tips that will be a few mins max. I will also make a post for installation tips and hardware/tools needed.

I plan on streaming again tomorrow and do a cooking stream/feeding Tiger in the awning room, or I may tackle the drivers window replacement. I will try to be more interactive and actually respond to chat.

Eventually I’ll have a way to bond multiple cell signals and Stream from the trails (just need money for gear and data), but until then I’ll just stream from places with WiFi. I plan on streaming a lot of different things, and will announce mud related streams here. I also plan on streaming every mud event I go to and every project for the car, as well as stream visits to local dealers with LCs/LXs So that members looking can have a closer look. If you have a car in my area you want looked at let me know.

Anyways, thanks again to anyone that stopped by. I hope to be able to chat with many of you during future streams and on here.

16D3FB93-1D02-4E76-93A1-DBD4EB6DAB5B.jpeg

DA0E3A00-6411-419B-99A1-69EA65262056.jpeg

0D323A29-D8B2-4F0C-9520-406601D174AE.jpeg

Also, before I forget, thank you @WoodyCreature :

It saved me some time digging around to see if the 2500 would fit on factory rack, and time trying to figure out what mount works.

Last edited:
Perfect day to do try out the awning!

Feel free to stop by the stream later to hang out and chat. Today I’m just setting up the awning and then setting up my streaming backpack while I cook some lunch for me and Tiger. If you want to see how Tiger got so big, well today will give you a small glimpse lol. We are going to spend some quality time in the awning to break it in!

I’m also going spend some time looking at rims, and @grinchy if you want to do the honors, you can pick my tires for me. I’d appreciate it. Otherwise I will just go with the pantagonias you listed (since I have some amazon credit). It would save me some time since tires are not something I’ve done too much research on. I will order them in a week after amazon credits me for a couple returns. If I stumble across a good deal on used rims and 33 inch AT/MT tires I will let you know, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. I will look for just 18 tundra rims.

Going to the grocery store and will fire up the stream when I get to my parents warehouse (Need their WiFi). I also need a bigger table, as you’ll see lol. Also, get ready to see Tiger eat about 5 burgers.

Another thing I realized is that my power consumption has went up, that’s before adding the laptop for streaming, while my driving time has went down, so I am likely going to be looking at solar panels here soon, and possibly other solutions in addition. 1 step at a time, so I’m thinking focus on solar panels first.

Easy solution is to buy the ones that are made for the Jackery, but I wanted to hear others thoughts first. Jackery ones aren’t cheap. Also I am not sure where I would mount them. It is mostly for times when I am camped, so I was wondering if the Flex panels were thin enough to attach to the awning while still being able to close awning. Maybe mount a flex panel Or two on the hood? Or is that too hot? I want to leave the roof open for the possibility of a kayak/small boat, or just to continue to use for storage.

Anyways, I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts. Jackery plus their panels or something else? You can either stop by the stream and chat there or reply here. Thank you for your time!

31B55015-2279-41A7-A79E-8AFB0287A3EA.png

Look at all that rain coming... the awning could not have come at a better time!

Well tires are a personal thing. Can’t go wrong with the Falken at3 or of course bfg ko2. if that milestar came in a narrow 35 On 18 I’d have A set, but they don’t.

Whoops, forgot to tighten one of them. Good thing I double checked. All good now.

Its so tight that it touches the back of the roof rail. Very minor scratch, doesn’t bother me but you can pad that area with something if you want to avoid it. Also pad the areas where the bolts are on the awning when working with it so you don’t end up like me. Good thing I don’t care about aesthetics but I’d be more careful if I had to do it again for sure.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I started listing things I didn’t need on Craigslist to raise money for car mods, and it wasn’t 30 mins before I encountered my first scammer lol.

Posting to raise awareness about fraudulent Google Voice Accounts, which I assume will be used to scam people under someone else’s name. From what I understand, In order to get a free google voice account you have to be in the US and have an actual number from an actual provider like Verizon, Sprint and etc. If it wasn’t for this limit everyone could have an unlimited # of google voice accounts and that creates other issues with bandwidth, storage and etc.

To create a Free Google voice accounts you have to plug in your eligible (paid) phone number, where they will text you a “Google Voice Verification” code. This confirms that you are the owner of the paid line, which will be connected to your free Google Voice line. So scammers go on public places like craigslist, get the persons number and then try to scam them into sharing the code so they can get another google voice line created in their name. From there they try to scam more people. I’m sure the number he used to contact me was a google line. I gave him 2 fake codes to hopefully discourage him from trying again with someone else (or her).

A5C85A38-3B7D-41F7-94E6-D5AFE4F33170.png

EF03E39D-EB19-4CEA-9DEE-78743950BBC0.png

B7720D86-9091-402C-91AA-A0B9186B5836.png

Typical review

They look good to me boss! Thank you for sharing.

And just to confirm, 33s are good to fit into the spare tire spot, yeah? Towards the end of the year I might look into a long range tank and rear bumper to relocate spare, but that’s a ways off. I will go ahead and order them this week.

They look good to me boss! Thank you for sharing.

And just to confirm, 33s are good to fit into the spare tire spot, yeah? Towards the end of the year I might look into a long range tank and rear bumper to relocate spare, but that’s a ways off. I will go ahead and order them this week.
Yes 33 goes in the spare location. I forget exactly where it becomes an issue, somewhere around 34" I think.

Laundry day is a good chance to pull stuff out and clean/vacuum. I’m parked on a slant by the way.

Here is a good chance to show how someone without drawers deal with storage and leveling the bed. It’s a work in progress and I play tetris to shift things around a lot. Everything, except what’s under the bed in between the 2nd and third row, can be easily accessed.

Under bed behind third row is a trunk organizer with all my cooking gear, spices and sauces, and first aid and Tiger Treats.

869E3E81-21D7-422A-984A-A9C0D3FA98AD.jpeg

FA6CE2EE-AC73-416C-ABF8-63985493E492.jpeg

597B505F-6B93-41DE-B23D-5F7E57FB21E6.jpeg

F1D90C68-AD3E-4422-92C6-75B0E446F1EB.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
It feels like Christmas here!!!

One USB port is loose on the Renogy, so I got a replacement from amazon.

The Megamat is leaking so REI replaces it (1 year no hassle return is nice!).

my little Jackery is here! Going to plug them in and let the bed self inflate and pick everything up tomorrow. It is still on sale for 110 instead of the usual 150!

and my auto trim removal kit is here as well so maybe a stream to replace driver window tomorrow.

Also my head cam mount From Solvid solutions is here somewhere! Will test it for next stream when I replace the window.

image.jpg

image.jpg

3BDB0CC6-B1E5-45F8-9CDF-26B940770A4E.jpeg

image.jpg

The Renogy isn’t big it’s just the Jackery is tiny.

Last edited:

less positive review

Thanks for that. I knew to a certain extent that you get what you pay for so a lot of it I was expecting. I wonder what he means by really hard to mount and balance though? I’m going to the beach for a few weeks soon, and I’m thinking the crawl control will be enough even on street tires. I’m also meeting some friends out there and we are driving down the outer banks together and camping across several beaches. I’m sure there will be plenty of others to give me a pull as well, if I get stuck before my friends arrive. I can afford to be patient with the rims and tires if I want. Or rather, I can’t afford not to be.

Also, on another note, if you buy the awning deal from 4wheelparts, make sure they send you the awning ending in 7, and not 3. The number ending in 3 does not have the sleeve for the light strip but the 7 does. The receipt shows the 7 in “components” but 3 in item name.

No worries, if you are like me who got the light strip but got the awning without sleeve, then you can return the light strip for a refund. That makes the price on the awning itself even better! If you want the light strip then exchange before you install, or make sure you point out to them beforehand.

picture of awning and room from day after installation:

D6392244-4738-4FAF-8E05-5C727C4C6AD4.jpeg

A884B85E-2A7D-44A0-8D1A-6E45F095B419.png

Went to 4wheelparts to return the light bar and couldn’t help but drool over the tires.

After messing around with some prices I am pretty sure I want 17s instead of 18s. Just the difference in tire prices alone makes it worth it. I ran a test quote on pro comp 33in MT2s and it was 40 bucks per tire difference between the two. He told me a set of 5 would be about 1300 with their buy 3 get 1 free deal. They are the ones in blue rims pictured. I’ll add it to my list of considerations.

Any advice on finding the right rims?

74A41EE8-CB03-497C-8D44-3F11FE20D6D0.jpeg

9C8359C7-76AB-486A-AF75-D3602E938F33.jpeg

DA800756-1776-4855-B050-9B39AC17B068.jpeg

4DAC1A08-9028-4B82-BF19-E70241B45E31.jpeg

C8A54EA7-A7C7-444F-9D7E-FD308370F44D.jpeg

Last edited:
Went to 4wheelparts to return the light bar and couldn’t help but drool over the tires.

After messing around with some prices I am pretty sure I want 17s instead of 18s. Just the difference in tire prices alone makes it worth it.

Any advice on finding the right ones?

For a lot of on-road driving with some general off-road mixed in, you really can't go wrong with these Cooper AT3 XLT tires.
Probably won't rock crawl with the best of them, and mud is mud, but overall I have been really pleased with them. Light weight, quiet road manners, and great in the rain.

For a lot of on-road driving with some general off-road mixed in, you really can't go wrong with these Cooper AT3 XLT tires.
Probably won't rock crawl with the best of them, and mud is mud, but overall I have been really pleased with them. Light weight, quiet road manners, and great in the rain.

I forgot to mention earlier that when I was there, I spoke to a fella and his dad who had just bought a modded Jeep that had some Cooper Discovery tires on it. He mentioned that the previous owner only paid 140 or 160 each for them, but didn’t know where he got them from. Before this I had not considered them, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it happened an hour ago and then I find this from you. Will definitely give them some thought now, thank you for the lead.

After messing around with some prices I am pretty sure I want 17s instead of 18s. Just the difference in tire prices alone makes it worth it. I ran a test quote on pro comp 33in MT2s and it was 40 bucks per tire difference between the two. He told me a set of 5 would be about 1300 with their buy 3 get 1 free deal. They are the ones in blue rims pictured. I’ll add it to my list of considerations.

Any advice on finding the right rims?

Also, on another note, awning looks great on the car!

View attachment 2315409

View attachment 2315410

View attachment 2315411

View attachment 2315412

View attachment 2315413
Exactly. Get what you like the look and feel of. It’s your $. I’d say lean into the hybrid or mt realm. My personal experience Is the size I wanted was an AT, and now I wish I’d gone to a different size to get a more aggressive tread. What I have is fine, but it could be better. There are few replacements for actual traction.

Exactly. Get what you like the look and feel of. It’s your $. I’d say lean into the hybrid or mt realm. My personal experience Is the size I wanted was an AT, and now I wish I’d gone to a different size to get a more aggressive tread. What I have is fine, but it could be better. There are few replacements for actual traction.

If you look at what I chose to take pictures of, it seems like MTs are more my style. I don’t mind the bumpier ride on the pavement, that doesn’t stop me from getting somewhere but having less aggressive tread might. That and I used to have a Yamaha XT250 as my only vehicle for almost 2 years, so I’m used to dirt tires on pavement.

I do have my limits, as in I wouldn’t go with super swampers, but those ones I snapped photos of looks about perfect!

Let’s find some used rims first, 285/70r17 is correct? Anything else I need to know? I assume they will all require transfer of TPMS sensors? Any specific width, or just ignore width and deal with it with spacers if needed? Will any 5 lug nut rims do or should I look specifically at Toyota and Lexus used rims?

I have to admit those Toyos MTs look really good, but likely out of my price range.

Maybe time for a Toyo group buy! Jk I don’t like to jump ahead but I will make some phone calls and do some digging and hopefully figure some things out. If there is a way to bring those Toyo prices down then hopefully I’ll find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom